Corps names

Andy! It's good to see you're still vertical these days. Seeing you standing up there in print reminded me of a story involving you, (tangentially) about an important item in drum corps history. Back in 1958, or there abouts, when the Holy Name Church in Garfield sold off everything they had that was connected with the Holy Name Cadets, the buyer was ... St Mary's Cardinals. I remember a story from our mutual friend, and colleague, Jack Mulligan, that one of the things that came off the truck in Beverly was a filing cabinet, at least one, that contained all the score sheets from every contest that Holy Name was ever in. Back to Day One!!

I have no knowledge as to the factual validity of this tale. But Jack said it happened. He also said that, due to storage issues at St Mary's, this essential Magna Carta of Drum Corps history wound up in the cellar of your folks' house. At least that was the last he ever saw of it.

I've often wondered what ever happened to it.

Gil

Gil,

It's wonderful to hear from you!! The last I heard, you were to undergo some rather serious surgery. I trust all went well.

As for the tale of the Holy Name archives landing in my parents' cellar, sorry. I've heard that story too, but it never happened - at least not to my parents' cellar. I was there when all that stuff came in and I don't remember seeing any file cabinets. Not to say they weren't there, but I never saw them.

Today, however, now that I'm pulling together as many scores as I can from those early days (I've got about 3,000 contests so far), I'd kill for access to an archive like that.

I'll be in Braintree for their Fourth of July parade. If you can, please look me up.

Andy

Gil,

It's wonderful to hear from you!! The last I heard, you were to undergo some rather serious surgery. I trust all went well.

As for the tale of the Holy Name archives landing in my parents' cellar, sorry. I've heard that story too, but it never happened - at least not to my parents' cellar. I was there when all that stuff came in and I don't remember seeing any file cabinets. Not to say they weren't there, but I never saw them.

Today, however, now that I'm pulling together as many scores as I can from those early days (I've got about 3,000 contests so far), I'd kill for access to an archive like that.

I'll be in Braintree for their Fourth of July parade. If you can, please look me up.

Andy

Thanks for putting that old chestnut to rest. Sea stories can be very quirky.

As is the case with far too many of us old farts, I've had a couple of surgical episodes in the last few years. As far as I can tell everything is fixed and operating normally at the moment.

I'll be in Braintree of the 4th. Is Hawthorne going to be there?. I marched that thing a couple of times with the SKEK Alumni. It's a nice parade, starts out behind the old Hollis School, where the Warriors used to rehearse BITD. I hope to see you there.

Gil

Edited by reallyoldfrt

Thanks for putting that old chestnut to rest. Sea stories can be very quirky.

As is the case with far too many of us old farts, I've had a couple of surgical episodes in the last few years. As far as I can tell everything is fixed and operating normally at the moment.

I'll be in Braintree of the 4th. Is Hawthorne going to be there?. I marched that thing a couple of times with the SKEK Alumni. It's a nice parade, starts out behind the old Ross School, where the Warriors used to rehearse BITD. I hope to see you there.

Gil

Hawthorne's Alumni will be there. We do the parade and then an exhibition. We couldn't do the field show last year because the fireworks were set up in such a way that the football field couldn't be used - some fire regulation I was told.

In any event, I was most disappointed last year because Hollis Stadium (my old lurking ground) no longer exists. A real shame....! I had a great many interesting evenings in that place.

Please be sure to find me after the parade. (And bring whatever old contest scores you might have from back in our time for addition to my collection.)

Andy

Legend has it that some staff members from a certain corps in Illinois, were listening to a recording of the Syracuse Brigadiers. Someone asked, "Hey, what's the name of this march they are playing?"

The answer was, "Oh, that's the Phantom Regiment March."

Then came......"WOW !! What a great name for a drum corps....Phantom Regiment!!!"

True story.

I'm pretty sure Dutch Boy actually comes from the Flying Dutchmen. They were the junior/ feeder corps for the Dutchmen- hence Dutch Boy. I don't think they had anything to do with the Grocery chain.

the Dutchmen connection may be legitimate, but the corps' relationship to Dutch Boy food markets is equally valid. One of the corps' long time patrons, local businessman Barry Humphries (sp?), was a big wheel in Oshawa Foods, the parent company of the Dutch Boy supermarket chain.

peace,

Fred O.