Platinum switching to G bugles soon.

Hey everyone. So yea, I know there is already a topic on this, but in the next year or two Platinum is going to switch to Kanstul G bugles. What do you guys think?

I know a few guys who are marching Platinum this year, and they expect it to bring A LOT of new attention. Member-wise and fan=wise.

Now I havnt had a chance to see Platinum yet, (But I am competing against them this year)

I think with a good musical selection, they can really tear it up. What do you think?

I think it would be great to see a junior corps return to the traditional G bugles. Without starting up the old debate about which is better (both have the ups and downs) I will say that there is a different sonority between the two and Kanstul is a legendary manufacturer of these instruments. I look forward to seeing and hearing them with their new horns.

I am Glad to See that G Bugles are still being used in the Drum Corps Communities...Wish a few in the top 12 would go back to thier Roots.. You would think that DCI would have some type of Points Addition for using G Bugles like 1.5 on Music and GE for staying with the Bugle...

Great idea in theory. That is, if you don't mind the additional intonation headaches, which will only be compounded by the likely reality of this being a relatively young hornline. Not hatin', just saying.

I do not really understand the idea that a horn in a different key plays less in tune. As long as the players can hear it, and the quality of the horn is okay, the key does not make a difference. Symphonic trumpeters play horns in C, Bb, D, Eb, and even A...sometimes in the same concert. The performers have to learn how to hear the key - the bad notes and partials are the same as on any other brass instrument, with peculiarities to each individual horn, which can't be avoided in any key.

I do not really understand the idea that a horn in a different key plays less in tune.

That's because it's a myth.

In fact, a hornline all in the key of G has an advantage over a mixed line of Bb/F instruments, where intonation trends are sometimes in opposition.

Some contend that G bugles are more out of tune because players accustomed to Bb/F need time to adjust. Of course, players need time to adjust to any new instrument (and I don't see kids using their own instruments with the corps), so that is a moot point.

It takes time to develop good intonation. Put that time in on either G or Bb/F, and you can get good results. Until then, your results will suffer no matter what key your horns are in.

• Like 3

It's like I always said - a good musician can make any instrument sound good. Want proof? Google Pepe Notaro. Or simply watch Dick Pomerleau play a solo on a slip-slide bugle at DCA's I&E competition. Hell, even Lance Armstrong knew it's not all about the bike.

• Like 1

Great idea in theory. That is, if you don't mind the additional intonation headaches, which will only be compounded by the likely reality of this being a relatively young hornline. Not hatin', just saying.

My friend, that's where a good instructor come into play.

Develop your inner ear.

• Like 1

That's because it's a myth.

In fact, a hornline all in the key of G has an advantage over a mixed line of Bb/F instruments, where intonation trends are sometimes in opposition.

Some contend that G bugles are more out of tune because players accustomed to Bb/F need time to adjust. Of course, players need time to adjust to any new instrument (and I don't see kids using their own instruments with the corps), so that is a moot point.

It takes time to develop good intonation. Put that time in on either G or Bb/F, and you can get good results. Until then, your results will suffer no matter what key your horns are in.

It does take students some time to ajust to the g bugles, usually about 10 minutes. I am glad to see G bugles back, and Kanstuls are great horns (I play one).

• Like 1