Ed Trautner

Edward L. Trautner, 69, of Appleton, passed away at Brewster Village on Wednesday, April 27, 2011. Ed was born on August 31, 1941, in Marinette, to Edward J. Trautner and the late June (Brazier) Trautner.

Ed married Lynn Beecher on September 4, 1965, in Oak Creek, Wis. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stout where he earned his Bachelors Degree in 1966, and his Masters Degree in 1968. He taught Technical Education at Madison Middle School in Appleton for many years.

Ed was well-known for his involvement with drum and bugle corps. He was a member of the Northernaires Drum and Bugle Corps, traveled extensively with the Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps, and contributed a regular column (Trivial) for the publication Drum Corps World. Ed was also a longtime Green Bay Packer season ticket holder and an avid Badger fan. He enjoyed oldies music, especially Elvis; traveling, golfing, and skiing.

Edward is survived by his wife of 45 years, Lynn; his father, Edward J. Trautner of Green Bay; his sister, Sally (Tom) Quackenboss of Green Bay; and his beloved cockatoo, Ralphie Elvis. He was preceded in death by his brother, David Lee Trautner.

In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate any memorials be directed to the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps, 2935 Fish Hatchery Road #401, Madison, Wis., 53711. The family would also like to extend their sincere thanks to the physicians and staff at Brewster Village for their extraordinary care. Abiding by Ed's wishes, there will be no formal funeral services. Wichmann Funeral Home, 537 N. Superior Street, Appleton, Wis., 920-739-1231, Online Condolences www.wichmannfargo.com.

This is a shock. Ed was a favorite of mine. Just a couple weeks ago, I wrote something about him for Drum Corps World's first fully online edition which should be out in the next few days. Ed truly had drum corps in his blood. His "Trivial" column in Drum Corps World was one of the truly fun segments I looked forward to each issue. RIP Ed.

Ed was a great guy. Wonderful sense of humor and a real and true "Drum Corps Nut"! I remember reading his columns in DCW back in the 70's....always full of interesting trivia and great humor - he'd do anything for PIZZA! - written in the style of Larry King's old columns. Or did Larry steal from Ed?!

Meeting Ed and then becoming a friend and spending time on tours together was a great pleasure. And no doubt, Lynn is just as cool as Ed.

Ever know one of those guys that whenever you see them they always greet you with a joke or at least a good laugh? That was Ed. You'd walk a mile around a stadium just to find Ed and get your daily "re-charge"!

Ed, you made drum corps fun. Rest in peace, friend. I bet there is some pretty great pizza up there.

Pat Seidling

Truly depressing. I, like many, looked forward to reading the Trivial Column every issue of DCW. RIP.

I met Ed while I was a photographer/writer for DCW back in the late 70's. We shared a few brewskis over the years. I had the honor of providing him several photos for his "Trivial" column, some of which cause a bit of a stir.

I'll never forget the trip from Birmingham to Jacksonville Alabama for the contest up there. We were in 2 vans crusing up the interstate, when the call came over the CB that the other van had run out of beer. The van I was riding in pulled along side the other at about 75 mph and we belted somebody in for safety as they leaned out of the moving vehichle to pass beers to the other van. I can't recall which van Ed was in, but it was an experience never since duplicated. RIP Ed, you will be missed.

Edward L. Trautner, 69, of Appleton, passed away at Brewster Village on Wednesday, April 27, 2011. Ed was born on August 31, 1941, in Marinette, to Edward J. Trautner and the late June (Brazier) Trautner.

Ed married Lynn Beecher on September 4, 1965, in Oak Creek, Wis. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stout where he earned his Bachelors Degree in 1966, and his Masters Degree in 1968. He taught Technical Education at Madison Middle School in Appleton for many years.

Ed was well-known for his involvement with drum and bugle corps. He was a member of the Northernaires Drum and Bugle Corps, traveled extensively with the Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps, and contributed a regular column (Trivial) for the publication Drum Corps World. Ed was also a longtime Green Bay Packer season ticket holder and an avid Badger fan. He enjoyed oldies music, especially Elvis; traveling, golfing, and skiing.

Edward is survived by his wife of 45 years, Lynn; his father, Edward J. Trautner of Green Bay; his sister, Sally (Tom) Quackenboss of Green Bay; and his beloved cockatoo, Ralphie Elvis. He was preceded in death by his brother, David Lee Trautner.

In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate any memorials be directed to the Madison Scouts Drum & Bugle Corps, 2935 Fish Hatchery Road #401, Madison, Wis., 53711. The family would also like to extend their sincere thanks to the physicians and staff at Brewster Village for their extraordinary care. Abiding by Ed's wishes, there will be no formal funeral services. Wichmann Funeral Home, 537 N. Superior Street, Appleton, Wis., 920-739-1231, Online Condolences www.wichmannfargo.com.

A very good man has left us, a stalwart drum corps icon.

My sincere condolences to Ed's family and friends.

Frank Dorritie

Trivial Ed was always a great read in drum corps world. I am sad to hear of his passing, he will be missed.

Ed was a fellow Drum Corps World staffer and dear friend for over 30 years. I loved hanging with him at shows,talking drum corps in the off-season and providing material for his DCW "Trivial" column. I last saw him at the "Drums On Parade" show last summer where we had a nice chat, and of course, I bought him a beer at the tailgate party.

Rest in peace Triv, I'm certainly going to miss you.

Triv-Lite