Best marching bands in your state

Hang on a minute...I need to count something...

Well since Union, Broken Arrow and Owasso all come from the same metro and are 3 of the top 7 in Grand Nationals I figure the bands in my state would do pretty good. :tongue:

I somehow would like to think Black Gold and the people involved with it before the implosion would have been a small catalyst to what's going on in Tulsa.

As far as BOA bands go I would call Tulsa the capital.

Sure. If one were to pretend that Indiana bands didn't exist, one could make that claim.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Back to the topic. The best BOA bands would be proud to be competitive at Prelims. To be fair, I only saw the top corps 18 at Semis. They would not have made the top 18.

When Tulsa has 8 national championships like the Chicago area and 8 like the Indianapolis area, maybe they can be considered the capital of the BOA nation.

But do they all come from one town? :tongue:

There's no question that the best BOA bands if they dropped their woodwinds to be legal, etc. could compete. Would they make Finals, no. Semis? Prob not. But there's a bunch of Open Class corps they would beat.

But who cares. Apples and Oranges. Different animals with different goals.

FOUR posts here from people debating where the "BOA Capitol of America is" and not ONE person even MENTIONED TEXAS?

I know...off topic, but I couldn't help but comment on what just made me scratch my head so hard it is now bleeding.

• Like 2

FOUR posts here from people debating where the "BOA Capitol of America is" and not ONE person even MENTIONED TEXAS?

I know...off topic, but I couldn't help but comment on what just made me scratch my head so hard it is now bleeding.

Once Texas bands learn to move and play at the same time (Texas has NEVER won visual at GN), maybe I'll enjoy them more.

• Like 2

Once Texas bands learn to move and play at the same time (Texas has NEVER won visual at GN), maybe I'll enjoy them more.

The most extreme example: Duncanville H.S. back in 1991. Won High Music. 12th out of 12 bands in Visual at Finals.

In Texas's defense, though, what they accomplish is incredible, especially considering the UIL Practice Restrictions (no one is allowed to practice more than 8 hours per week in any activity: band, football, cheer, etc). With the time limitations, yeah, I'd be focusing on Music over Visual, too.

For comparison, last I checked, the Plymouth-Canton (MI) marching band practices 15-20 hours per week. :blink:

• Like 1

Annually, one of my favorite autumn Saturdays is the Indiana State High School semi-final contests. In all, 80 Hoosier high school bands converge in the Indianapolis area - usually late October. There are 4 simultaneous contests to choose from. Twenty bands at each site.

Greenwood, Jasper, Northview, Concord etc perform at the Class B site.

Avon, Homestead, Lake Central, Warren Central, Center Grove, Lawrence Central, Northrop perform in Class A.

Class C shines at its own site, as does Class D.

Schools can elect to compete in a higher class - based on school enrollments.

Ben Davis HS has been hosting the class A semi-finals for several years. Twenty bands nearing their peak for under $10 in an outdoor Saturday afternoon show. Bliss.

Arguing over the "best BOA band state" is like arguing over what the best way to drink ipecac is. It still makes you want to throw up.

Funny!

Too bad band and corps are so much alike....

It used to be more of a distinction....

Of course, I don't mind hood shows from either, but I DO appreciate the difference and prefer to watch corps as time goes on...

Down in here in Florida: Tarpon Springs, West Broward, and Flanagan are very well. EVERYBODY in my area raves about Charles W. Flanagan Falcon Sound :P Compared to DCI, not a chance IMO

California only has a few out of the many programs that would even have a glimmer of hope if they ever competed against corps.

Ayala is clean both visually and musically but doesn't have the impact (2007 is another story. Look it up, it is drum corps loud and matched ear ringing levels I got from cadets that season).

Upland always has a strong brass sound and great marching technique but their drums tend to hold them back. You can tell this group and Ayala have BD influences.

Mission Viejo is clean but I feel their productions boring.

Arcadia is the only one that can definitely have a chance at beating corps in volume but that's if they teach the brass to play with the edge that G bugles got. 18 tubas, 24 trombones, 10 baritones, 12 mellos, 30 trumpets. They pack a punch and make the audience jump back in their seats every time. It pays to be 300+