The greatest soloist of all time....

My thoughts are always Noonan and Kievet.... to me, a great sop soloist was an East Coast trademark (well, plus the Cavie's Bully soloist in 1969...)

I don't know his name but I used to LOVE the Colts Baritone soloist in 84.

I don't know his name but I used to LOVE the Colts Baritone soloist in 84.

:ph34r:

That was Dave Lang..he played lead bari on an early 2 valve euph..I suspect he could easily overblow the standard bari..and he was a trombone player by trade..Fabulous tone and technique..and a pretty decent guy to boot.

Pat

If I am allowed to ignore finals week, I would nominate the sop soloist at the end of Since We Fell In Love and from Blue Devils 1989. He famously gacked crap out of everything he played when it counted in Kansas City, but in the 15 or 20 other shows I heard him at while our tours were lined up he was off the charts (no pun intended)

He had the hugest sound. That high note was so perfect all summer.

I wanted to barf when he flubbed so badly at finals. But, I remember him for what he was the rest of the summer.

John Shipper - Madison Scouts 1995 and 1996 esp 1996. He burnt the house down in 96.

My introduction to DCI was in 1992, and John Shipper '96 is still my favorite soloist performance from then till now. En Fuego, indeed.

Can I nominate the entire 1993 Blue Devils? Didn't every single brass player have a solo they hit out of the park in that show? :tongue::worthy:

Well it's certainly an honor to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jerry Noonan and Jim Brady! I have to say that the greatest soloist of all time, in my opinion, is Jim Brady. I remember sitting in the stands at prelims in 1977 and watching him play with those oversized sunglasses! That visual along with what came out of that p/r bugle was mesmerizing! Certainly Jerry along with Jeff Kievet, Chris Metzger, Harpo Blum, Tommy Meredith, Freddie Bell, Gary ? from the early '80s Crossmen and Shaun Owens are my favorites. But there have been quite a few on bari, mello, french horn and contra who have been terrific, as well. And , of course , I have to give a shout out to the many great soloists from Blue Devils past. BTW - Mike Collins(a former student) was the the "bearded wonder" in '86 BD.

Sorry I spelled your name wrong...

Can any of you really say with all certainty that one is better than another when you're talking about the absolute best of the best that DCI have ever produced? I don't think you can.

I think it comes down to an individuals sound preference or taste if you like

Personally, I preferred Jim Brady's sound to Jerry Noonan's.

I think the current BD sop soloist is worth a mention, that kid can really play.

Edited by 3rd Glasgow BB

1987-1989 PR baritone soloist James Hosmer (I believe individual winner in 89)

1991 PR JD Shaw mellophone

1979 Bridgemen soprano soloist Jim Brady (I think)

1988 Santa Clara Vanguard French Horn Soloist (sorry don't know name)

Can any of you really say with all certainty that one is better than another when you're talking about the absolute best of the best that DCI have ever produced? I don't think you can.

I agree. It's near impossible to name " the single best " soloist. I'm also assuming the thread is asking us best " brass " soloists too. The activity has changed the last few years and brass ( and percussion ) soloists tend now to take a back seat to " guard " soloists. The typical brass solo played in Corps now is not even half the time that the Guard " soloist " is featured. Years from now, DCP'ers wiil be asking this same question ( quote ) " who is the greatest soloist " of all time, and it will be automatically assumed that the question is asking DCP'ers someone in the past that came from the Guard.

JIM CENTORINO: Majestic Knights of Charlestown, Boston Crusaders

ROBERT "PEPE" NOTARO: N.Y. Skyliners

AMERIGO "RIGGIE" LAUS: won every local, state and national individual contest he entered, retiring undefeated in 1965. 1st bugler to play "Flight of the Bumble Bee" in a national championship --- the only one to play it on one-valve slide G-bugle

ALFRED "Corky" FABRIZIO: Syracuse Brigadiers

DARCY DAVIS: Lt. Norman Prince Princemen

THOMAS MARTIN: NY Skyliners

JACK REILLY: Archer-Epler Musketeers

TOM SWAN: St. Joseph Cadets (Newark), NY Skyliners

MICHAEL DEL VECCHIO: Hawthorne Caballeros

RICARDO GABRIEL: Syracuse Brigadiers, AF D&B Corps, USAF Academy D&B Corps, Archer Epler Musketeers, Yankee Rebels

GENE MAROTTA: Our Lady of Lourdes, Hawthorne Caballeros

DICK DOUCETTE: Sacred Heart, Lt. Norman Prince Princemen

JIM COSETTI: Archer Epler Musketeers, Blue Rock

HARRY LATINIK: Most Precious Blood Crusaders (Boston), I.C. Reveries, and Lt. Norman Prince Princemen

FRANK DORRITIE: Long Island Sunrisers

CHICK COREA: St Rose Scarlet Lancers, Chelsea MA

RICHIE Price: Reading Buccaneers, RI Matadors, Sunrisers, Empire Statesmen

ART HLYWA: CT Hurricanes, CT Connecticut Yankees

JOHN ZIMNY: Chicago Royal Airs, AF Academy D&B Corps

Edited by Navillus WP