Dark N Light Light N Dark...Am I the Only One ?

Though this has been a common theme, it's also a very common theme in other art forms. I don't think this is exclusive to DCI, though I think that some corps have certainly gone about it in the wrong way. But it does make sense to me that we see so much of it.

I think that part of the reason may be that, when you consider the even more basic theme behind "dark vs. light" it's essentially conflict. Conflict is what drives any good narrative-based or representative-based art form. Using opposites make for interesting art, period. Once you've set up conflict between two entities of some kind, you've got something interesting, as you have to resolve that conflict (really music in and of itself is just conflict and resolution).

So why do corps choose dark vs. light as their conflict so much? My guess, and this is just a guess, is that A) it's simple, so it can be easily communicated to an audience without much confusion, and B) the theme of dark vs. light is very easy to represent through both visuals and music. The possibilities musically and visually for that theme are endless.

I for one don't mind seeing this theme done a lot, however, it does get old if the treatment of it is always the same. So I totally get your concern.

Edited by bmt2116

HAHA, I'd like to see a corps tackle that,... I know just the corps to do it too :tongue:

(jokes guys, jokes)

Oh no you don't. I'm not going there. Thats like touching the 3rd rail on the underground subway track. I have no interest in you telling me which Corps. This site will explode in sparks of electrocution and people will get zapped. Don't.... go.... there.

• Like 2

Ok....I am getting tired of ranting out here(Believe it or not) but I just can't contain myself when it comes to reading another show description of dark vs. light. Really ? I mean how many times have dci corps drank from this well ? Did a rule pass a couple of seasons ago I missed requiring all dci corps to play a good vs. evil, light vs. dark show ?

Is this the best the creative staffs of dci can come up with ? man..... :shutup:

Am i the only one ? Does anyone else out here feel the same ?

They're called Archetypes. They're found in every book, play, opera, TV show, Movie and even drum corps show. They aren't going anywhere and they don't really change, just how they're presented.

Move on.

• Like 2

Good or bad drum corps is not decided by the title of the show concept. Wait and see.

I agree. Some of the most entertaining shows in the past had no themes... or had themes with a 100 different explanations from a 100 different people on what the theme story was.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

We need something different to shake things up. I think a good show would be something about

a Clown who makes people laugh, but is sad on the inside...and maybe he suffers from severe diarrhea.

We need something different to shake things up. I think a good show would be something about

a Clown who makes people laugh, but is sad on the inside...and maybe he suffers from severe diarrhea.

Poopliacci!

Poopliacci!

PERFECT!!! :spitting::laughing::laughing:

• Like 1