Kingston Grenadiers

I so agree.

I hear there are two more corps on the chopping block this season.

And it's wording like this that really drives the rumor-mill.

Wishing the Grennies a speedy return ! :smile:

It is with much regret to announce the Grenadiers will be not taking the field of competition for the upcoming 2011 season.There are many contributing factors many of which have been discussed at length and not unfamiliar to our brothers and sisters in our beloved activity. There is however a strong nucleus of members willing to press forward and keep the corps actively involved on a number of fronts. A bright determined group to say the least.

Thanks to DCA for the venue to participate and hopefully the Yellow Red and Black will be back on the field in the near future.

Sincerely Don

Sorry to hear Don.....

Looking forward to a quick return to the field!

I hope we see you back as that border issue has to be a killer!

Hopefully, things will work out and we'll see you back in the US in the future. I still remember seeing one of the corps performances in '92 in standstill at a contest as well as seeing you last year at Reading. Here's to a better economy for everyone.

I hope we see you back as that border issue has to be a killer!

we were invited to accompany our sponsor AL Post 773 to a performance in Canada,...............as we do not live in NY state for the most part,............nearly all of us would need to obtain a passport,...................not a cheap date, not to mention the process,.................it put it right out of our minds.............

we were invited to accompany our sponsor AL Post 773 to a performance in Canada,...............as we do not live in NY state for the most part,............nearly all of us would need to obtain a passport,...................not a cheap date, not to mention the process,.................it put it right out of our minds.............

Jeff, Gary, this is more of a serious issue than people realize. It takes serious planning to do any cross-border activity now. Planning needs to take 6 months or more before in some cases.

Did a presentaion on this for a Music Business Course this spring, and it ain't pretty. I started it with the issues Scout House and Les Dips had last year, and it went from there.

I remmber Les Dips having that problem last year when they came down to do the Barum Festival .But from what i remmber in conversayion with them it had more to do with the fact they told the border people they where being paid to perform ,they held all there eqiutment at the border they could pick it up on there return .They should have never said they where being paid to perform.LOL

Grenadiers have really never had a problem getting through the border. Planning was always well taken care of by the appropriate staff. Being an alumni and looking at things from the outside I'm going to assume the issues are money, gas prices, lack of membership and the lack of quality music programs in Canada. Music in schools has been on a major decline in Canada for a lot of years now. Governments just refuse to support arts and focus on core academics such as English, Math and Science. While this is ideal, the lack of focus on arts and trades is concerning. Being an active member from '97 to '05 I witnessed the staff wrack their brains to the point of pure exhaustion. They were thinking of every avenue possible to draw members from. They tried the Montreal connection, Upstate NY schools, the MAJOR hotbed of ODCA/DCI alumni in the Toronto area as well as recruiting from the streets. I have always believed it took much more effort to get Grenadiers on the field than any other corps. I guess one had to witness the BoD and support staff involved in such turmoil.

Knowing the nucleus of Grenadiers as well as I do I know they won't give up. It was a valiant effort to get the corps back on the field in 2008, since then the corps has been highly successful. A tad on the smaller size, but now you know exactly why.