Care about historic drum corps recordings?

If you know me, or have looked at my screen name closely enough, then you know I'm all about preserving audio recordings of drum and bugle corps. That's what I do. I just can't get enough of the sounds of drum corps. Evidently, some of you share my interest, judging from the "free the Ken Kobold recordings" thread that recurs every six months here.

You probably feel like DCI just doesn't care about even preserving all those recordings, much less making them available to people. Well, think again. Take a look at page 6 of DCI's Big Idea.

Imagine having the entire DCI audio library available online. Potentially, over 9,000 recorded performances spanning 55 years could be available to you in a streaming audio format. And that's just part of an overall plan to archive audio, video, photos and other media. Vote for Drum Corps International in the Chase Community Giving campaign, and make this idea happen!

Guidance on how to vote your support for DCI is posted here.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, 'cuz after all, WE wrote the music (or rewrote, as it were), and WE PLAYED the music. Seems kinda lame to have to support DCI letting us listen to it.

Edited by apoch003
  • Like 1

You know, 'cuz after all, WE wrote the music (or rewrote, as it were), and WE PLAYED the music. Seems kinda lame to have to support DCI letting us listen to it.

That is an over-simplification. Although you performed the music, you unfortunately don't have the rights to it... the composer (and/or publisher) of the tunes do. And to obtain the rights to distribute the performances (even to you) requires payment to the legal copyright owner for those rights.

That is an over-simplification. Although you performed the music, you unfortunately don't have the rights to it... the composer (and/or publisher) of the tunes do. And to obtain the rights to distribute the performances (even to you) requires payment to the legal copyright owner for those rights.

According to you then, DCI doesn't own it either. Which leaves my question valid.

Seems kinda lame to have to support DCI letting us listen to it.

Believe the point is there are shows that (legally) the general public cannot listen to.

Some quick questions:

1) Used to be the legend was that pre-3 valve or at least pre upright valves was music not performed on "real instruments" so not covered by copyright. But that ain't true right?

2) What about the cost for obtaining the recordings themselves. Know DCW has a ton of recordings the bought from the source (Richmond, Alf W, etc). Are there stil others out there?

3) Is this for DCI era only or pre 1970s? Could read the info eighter way.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Plus there's the issue of a Mechanical License, which grants the rights to reproduce and distribute copyrighted musical compositions (songs) on phonorecords (i.e. CDs, records, tapes, and certain digital configurations), which DCI (or whoever) had to obtain to make the recordings in the first place - and it ain't free.

That's why the Harry Fox Agency is in business...

Had put my vote in!