Care about historic drum corps recordings?

Scott Gordon, Ken Mason, Glenn Kubacki, the folks at Fleetwood Sounds, The Beat Goes On, Steve Vickers and everyone else involved in archiving our drum corps audio history are doing important work and deserve our support.

These recordings are the literature of our activity and must be preserved. Legal process must be followed. This is not optional.

I too have played on dozens of recordings but do not hold the copyrights for the music. Those belong to the composers and their assigns, and the right to copy the recordings themselves (to make "mechanical copies" of the music), having been granted to the labels (and their asigns) belong to them in turn. These people rightfully deserve to be compensated. This is as it should be.

The composers for their efforts and vision which resulted in creating their intellectual property (not unlike a book or play), and the recording companies who bore the expense (and risk) of producing the recordings should rightfully derive some benefit. We as consumers enjoy the opportunity of hearing this music on demand, in turn.

These principles have been in place for a hundred years in this country and never had anything whatsoever to do with how many pistons were on anyone's bugle. That said, there are some exceptions to copyright, but drum corps is not among them.

Thanks for that explanation Frank. Makes a lot of sense.

See you in Rochester, or maybe before??

Ray

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that indeed [DCI] largely ignored them, until they caught the attention of some none-too-happy organizations that threatened major litigation if they didn't quickly come into legal compliance. Ignoring copyrights is no longer an option if drumcorps wishes to remain in existence, at least in the U.S.

Copyright law changed significantly in 1978 (via the Copyright Act of 1976), giving a lot more leeway to authors and creators and a lot less to everyone else and clarifying a lot of things about the system. I'm guessing that's about when music publishers and composers started getting a lot more interested in extracting fees from things like drum corps.

The DMCA shifted the balance even further towards content "owners", especially for digital files. There's also the 1998 Sonny Bono act that extended copyright by 20 years. Notable for drum corps fans because it means that music published in 1923, which was going to expire starting in 1998, is now going to be under copyright until 2018. Scouts could have saved some money on last year's show if Rhapsody in Blue had been allowed to enter the public domain.

This trend is only getting bigger and harder to deal with as more and more people stake their livelihoods on "intellectual property". It's one of the many things putting a drag on things like drum corps, community bands, and artists and performers of all kinds.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a ton of vinals stashed in my basement. Eventually I'll convert them to CD's but I'll have to find an old record player first.

I've got a ton of vinals stashed in my basement. Eventually I'll convert them to CD's but I'll have to find an old record player first.

you can now buy a rather inexpensive turntable that has a digital output, that you can plug right into your computer......................

you can now buy a rather inexpensive turntable that has a digital output, that you can plug right into your computer......................

Crosley (name from the distant past) has a small system that will play records/cassettes and CDs. You can also record from cassettes/vinyl to CD. Have one and biggest issues are WYHIWYG (what you hear is what you get) because no way to clear up any static, popping, etc and to make seperate tracks on the CD you have to sit there and hit the button at just the right time.

But beats looking at the album covers like I have for the last 12 years....

Crosley (name from the distant past) has a small system that will play records/cassettes and CDs. You can also record from cassettes/vinyl to CD. Have one and biggest issues are WYHIWYG (what you hear is what you get) because no way to clear up any static, popping, etc and to make seperate tracks on the CD you have to sit there and hit the button at just the right time.

But beats looking at the album covers like I have for the last 12 years....

here is a brand new one that is pretty cheap,.......... digital turntable

here is a brand new one that is pretty cheap,.......... digital turntable

Dang on the price.... next step would be getting clean up software... Well for me, next step would be getting a newer PC with Horsepower to actually DO anything. Used to have software that would convert computer type vids (.wmv) to a format that I could watch in the (old) DVD player. But PC is so weak, I could only convert two shows at a time. Watching early 60s Hawthorne on the flat screen is a hoot....

Heh, 6 years and 10 days until my planned retirement, wonder what toys and software will exist in 2017...

Edited by JimF-LowBari