Kennesaw, GA Review

Show Site:

Been here in years past. They usually sell out and sell discounted tickets for the backside. This year, they didn't sell out. I guess everyone is coming to the 2nd Kennesaw Show. Traffic wasn't too bad this year. I just took the highways. Didn't have much interaction with the show staff.

Souvies Stuff:

Crown seemed to have a nice collection witht their extended store with the racks and all. Spirit also had a nice display of cool stuff. Get your Spirit Bobble Heads now! Saw some flashing blie lights and I thought it was Bluecoats. It was the police. I dunno what happened, but I ran. Didn't want them to ID me. That's a joke.

Now to the reviews.

CorpsVets - Senior - Exhibition Only

Opener: Opening set is a block consisting of the brass & guard with the percussion at the back of the block. The guard uni's were purple 20's flapper outfits for the ladies and lavendar shirts and with balck suspenders & pants for the guys. In fist few counts, during some percussion statements, the guard & brass divied into obliques The guard was spinning beautiful orange & yellow silks. After a nice impact, the number leads into a sop and then a bari solo. A good and strong percusison feature with the guard on rifles. Very nice. Some nice brass licks finish out the opener.

2nd Number: Opens with a bari solo. Guard now on blue flags and sabres. This number had slow and sultry feel to it. Builds to an impact which is complimented by the guard.

3rd Number: Begins with a sop solo. The guard has moved to purple & orange silks. This number really shows off this corps' strong lower brass section. Very nice! After a solid sop solo and a percussion statement, the number builds to a dramatic big push.

Closer: Some ensembles and solos begin this piece. The number build to another big push with huge sound and great guard work.

Overall: Very crowd pleasing show. There were a lot of hot solos throughout this show.

Court of Honor - Div 3

This was the fisrt show EVER for this corps and I was very impressed. First off, here is what I counted (5 pit, 5 Basses, 3 Snares, 3 Quads, 8 Guard, 1 DM, 3 Contras, 6 Baris, 4 altos, & 7 sops)

Opener: Opening set has the brass in a triangle with the perucssion in sets around the brass & guard on side 2. This number opens with the pit and then the batter enters and finally the brass. Very nice opening statement, but missing some impact. There is a nice strong sop solo. The opener ends with some impressive drill.

2nd number: This was their ballad number which featured a nice supported mello solo while the rest of the brass played to the backfield. The guard is on different shades of blue flags and also sabers.

3rd Number: This number starts with a contra ensemble which was obviously having a good time. This then moves to a bari ensemble. The guard has moved to green and gold silks. There is a short percussion feature. This felt awkward because it was long, but not quiet long enought for me. I am guessing that the guard is imcomplete so far becuase they didn't do anything during some impact moments by the corps.

Closer: Bari solo of "Somewhere over the rainbow." This arrangement has a samba feel to it - upbeat and perky. The number builds to a big push and the show is over.

Overall: This corps was very impressive for their first show EVER. With some staff and some more kids, this corps could definitely become a div 2 or laster on a div 1 corps.

Memphis Sound - Div 2

Opener: The opening set has the entire corps spread out from both 10 yd lines. The number starts with a sop solo to the backfield. Some nice guard work with stripped flags which really added to the build up. This corps really had an overall nice top to bottom sound. The first number ends with some nice brass licks especially out of the mello line.

2nd Number: I don't think anyone really understood exactly what this show was. The whole show had a very dark feel to it though. My only complaint was that while the music had a dark feel, the guard was on brightly colored flags. It looked weird to me. Nothing really happened in this second number.

3rd Number: Opens with a great percussion feature which involves all exchg's btwn the battery and the pit. As the corps enters, they have divided into upper brass and lower brass. They begin to exchg dissonance chords. Then comes a sop solo. The solo was great, but all the guard work really distracted from the music. After this solo comes a bari ensemble. The guard work now is very complimentary to the music.

Ballad: This piece didn't really go anywhere and was very short. It has a mellowed out feel to it and is nice and slow.

Closer: This opens with an exchg of statements btwn the brass and percussion, but lacks impact because of no guard work. All of a sudden, we have guard on big flags and the corps doing a big push. The ending sorta came out of nowhere.

Overall: This show was too choppy for me.

Teal Sound - Div 3

This show sorta confused me. What kind of show has "The Firebird Suite" followed by "Liturgical Dances?" There didn't seem to be any real concept behind it. My they are doing "A few of Our Favorite Things" too? Anyways.

Firebird: This show starts out with the contras playing the opening theme and then the baris move in and then mellos and then finally sop's. All the while, this is building and getting louder and faster, but as the previous corps, there wasn't any real impact. The guard was on red silks and dressed in Cadets 00-like uni's (the grey things from the opener) but with a white sash across the chest. "FB" was over before it ever got going. The guard was really nice looking during most of their work.

Liturgical Dances: This piece was alomst exactly like the wind ensemble piece. It beings with a solemn anthem by the mellos which is complimented by the guard doing some subtle body moves. As this opening statement continues and grows through the corps, the guard moves to white and blue silks, but I felt too fast. The corps hasa nice sound, but was very thin and unsupported in some areas especially the upper brass. The guard moved to all sabers, but I guess didn't learn all the work yet as their part in the closer was very diminished.

Overall: Both Hallberg and I felt that these selections were a bit too much to handle for this corps.

Scenic City - Div 3

Opener: The opening set has the corps in a company front about 4 steps infront of the front side line on side 1. This opening number is a nice melodic number. It has a nice sop solo. This piece ends with a good drill move and a definite closing statement.

Ballad: The ballad started with the mellos who reallt struggled through their featured part. A bari solo saves the day. This piece has some bongos on the field and really keeps this piece moving. It was a fun piece, but never really gets to develop.

Closer: The closer starts with a percussion feature, but is not very exciting. There was a group of mellos featured drill wise, but never musically. maybe something more to come? It look very awkward. There was an extreme case of phasing front to back. No guard work. The corps moves back to opening set where they pick up different wood 'instruments' (2 pieces of wood on a hinge, smaller sticks banged together, etc...) and take part in the percussion number. The ending comes soon after and is very unimpactful.

Overall: Just doesn't go anywhere and doesn't develop at all.

Revolution - Div 2

Opener: Opening set has the corps grouped together in small groups with a guard member in the middle of each group (sorta like SCV 02). The number starts with a soft statement made by the pit. The guard does some dance moves and then switches to rifles. Corps forms a block on side one and build to impact. First corps of the night with any impact. This corps also had the first really good guard. The guard really sold this show. They had many sequences and some really good moments. This corps has a wonderful middle sound (baris and mellos)

2nd Number: Impacts exch'd btwn brass and percussion featuring the trumpets mainly. The number moves into a percussion feature which involves some great work by not only the percussion, but also the guard. Whoa. This guard is better than some Div 1 guards. This corps showed great control of sound especially byt eh upper brass.

3rd Number: This number features a small ensemble which is complimented nicely by some visuals by the rest of the brass. As this piece moved into a quiet segment, the guard was all on flags. This really distracted frm the flow of the music.

Closer: Great drill moments. Again, theguard has some nice moments during a percussion. This guard compliments this corps well. Whoever is the guard caption head knows what he/she is doing.

Overall: Very good show. Crowd really got into this show and heard many "Ah's" and "oh's" during the show.

Carolina Crown - Div 1

La Fiesta Mexicana: Opening set has the brass and precussion at the back of the field in a circle centered on the 50. The guard is in a line down the 50. This number starts with bell and chime sounds from the pit The guard get some rifles in the front and the guard in the abck gets flags. The rifles do some work as mre and more bell sounds come into play. Then, BANG! Big time impact. This piece is nice melodic number which really moves. the guard really adds to th impacts made by the rest of the corps. Very nice to watch and listen to

Stainded Glass, Pt 1: There are bells in the rifles and man do they show off their skill son these rifles during this piece. The guard is featured during this pit percussion feature. The brass doesn't really move much, but I guess they are trying to show off their guard? Some very nice moments for the guard in this section of the show.

Ballad: This piece gets developed really fast. Within a few measures, it feels that the songs has really been established. As the piece gets quiet the guard is on all flags. Too distracting. Save it for the impact which is about to happen. This songs build to a huge impact! This corps has a great lower sound and it is displayed thoughout this piece. The battery doesn't play a beat in this number. They end up in the side 1 front corner.

Stained Glass, Pt 2: The first "SG" was the pit's feature, this one now includes the battery. The corps does some nice visuals and some great drill moves.

Carol of the Bells: What a dramatic piece this is. It's not too 'Christmasy' at all. The corps does some more nice visuals. This piece beocmes a fuge for a few bars and really builds to a stuning impacts with a hot mello lick and big rifle catch. Illicits a huge crowd response. There was some intonation problems in the baris, but this show ends huge.

Overall: I was very impressed with Crown's big time sound. Their guard is smoking too. All sections really get to show off in this show. I think you'll like. The new uni's are growing on me and the guard uni's weren't as bad as i thought, but pls, get that plume centered.

Crossmen - Div 1

Somewhere Over the Rainbow: The opening set has the corps end zone to end zone on the back sideline witht he guard both the back and front sidelines. Opens with a fluglehorn solo of "Somewhere..." The guard moves into a diamond with different colors of fabric. On the impact, the guard forms a rainbow and stretches the fabric from their feet to their heads and forms a triangle. This really stands out in my mind.

1st Number: Opens with a percussion feature. Then a small ensmble consisting of about 1/3 of the corps makes a statement. Then another 1/3 of the corps enters and then finally the entire corps. The guard is only green flags and rifles. The guard was really together and looked great. The corps had an amazing sound and some nice overtones already! There is a lot of impact and great moments for the enitre corps.There is a short percussion fill and then a sop duet. This number ends with a tag from last years opener ending (the 3 ascending quarter notes).

2nd Number: A number of small ensembles being this piece. Guard has moved to purple flags. The corps has a nice transition to the backfield and uses it well. During the percussion feature, the corps moves to side one back corner and does that opening move from the beginning of last years show. The percussion feature is great and the guard has some awesome moments. After this, there is a park and bark session, but no guard stuff. I think they just stood there. I am hoping for more to come? The ending of this piece is loud! They play until they get what they want - a standing ovation!

Closer: There is some small ensemble stuff. The guard is on sabers and rifles and is placed inside these small ensembles and has some exchg's. The guard then adds some orange flags and the percussion moves into THE percussion break. They have racks and they know how to use 'em. You'll just have to see it. It's a lot fo fun to watch. After the percussion feature, the corps moves into a block and has a loud segment of music. The guard moves to red flags and the look hot. This guard is really smoking! You though Cadets was the only corps taking from past Madison shows? You're wrong. Crossmen do that ending where the guard does whatever. It works with this piece and is really dramatic.

Overall: What a show. This is another crowd pleaser. The perucssion is feature promininetly as well as the guard.

Bluecoats - Div 1

Opener: Opening set is a ying yang on its side. There is a bari and a sop solo which are both complimented nicely but some visuals from the corps. The guard work is very complimentary and they ahd new opening flags from those that were in at Sevierville. The guard has some good work during the percussion break and also afterwards with the pit. Corps ends in a block form with a guard guy "Captured" in the middle.

2nd Number: Opens with a bari solo with some visuals from the corps. This segues into a tango-like segment which allowed the brass to continue with some nice visuals. There is a sop solo which is very nice, controlled, and supported. This number quiets down, but the guard is all on flags and distracts from the music. The guard has some pass thoughs with the brass as the piece gets louder and faster, and soon ends.

Closer: beings with a percussion feature. The guard is on copper colored poles. and rifles which are both used very well during this percusson feature. This number then moves into this very cool sounding break down session where it gets quiet, but the sops continue playing a jazz riff. This build into a company front and has an impact which is compliemted by the guard.

Overall: A great show. The percussion and guard really make this show happen. my only complaint is that, remember the guard guy who is capture at the end of the opener, well he is still captured at the end of the show. He should escape completing the caputre and escape theme to the show.

Spirit - Div 1

Opener: Opening set has the coprs in groups of 3-4 spread btwn the 30's and is surrounded by the guard and percussion. This number starts out with some chimes and pit stuff setting up the time references. The brass enters and plays some tags from "Auld Lang Syne" and "Time In A Bottle" to the backfield. The sound grows, but the corps is still to the backfield. Then, the corps turns and give a huge impact complimented by the guard on full flags. Very nice! Watch for the time references such as a clock and the hour glass which goes forward as the guard runs down the hour glass at the very end of the opening number.

Vertical Momentum: This guard is very complimentary and integrated thoughout this show. The brass plays the "Whirr, Whirr, Whirr" statement and then forms a vertical company front on the 50 and plays some chimes and clock motives tot he backfield. This number is very rhythmically demanding piece and is set at a fast tempo. There are some impacts by the pit. The feet during this number looked very together. At the end of this piece, the guard has an awkward equip chg before the corps is done playing the music. It is really distracting. I don't see what the rush is since the only thing that happens in the next number is a white flag by one member.

October: This is very solemn but grows to a majestic and beautiful peice. There is a nice, warm small ensemble before this piece takes off. before the impact, there is a chg in the mood of the piece, but this really makes the impact that much more impactful. The "Let it be me" solo and the old school uni were a nice touch but I think the idea is somehwhat lost.

Nutville & No Jive: This piece starts out loud and stays that way. There are some nice lower brass impacts. There is a huge sound! After some small ensembles and a percussion break, there is a loud park and bark, but the guard doesn't do anything. It felt weird.

Appalahian Morning: This piece has a nice build and is a nice chg of mood from the previous section. There is a part of the show which has the guard all on flags, but the music doesn't seem to support all this work. It's distracting. This piece moves into a recapitchulation of the opening impact, but this time, we get a company front and big push with it. Watch the pass though by the guard and listen for a few "Georgia" tags. The silent ending still isn't doing it for me, but time may fix that. Notice the time references again with with hourglass and the guard moving up (or backwards) though time.

Overall: A fun show highlighting past, present, and future. The block party section is already cooking and will be great for the second Kennesaw and Jacksonville show.

Scores:

My predictions:

Div 2/3

1. Revolution

2. Court of Honor

3. Memphis Sound

4. Teal Sound

5. Scenic City

Div 1

1. Crossmen

2. Spirit

3. Crown

4. Bluecoats

Actual:

Div 2/3

1. Revolution, 65.1

2. Memphis Sound, 47.5

3. Teal Sound, 47.0

4. Court of Honor, 45.3

5. Scenic City, 42.25

Div 1

1. 70.7, Bluecoats

2. 70.15, Crossmen

3. 68.95, Spirit

4. 65.8, Crown

Edited by SeanOwenSullivan

To all readers..... (no offense to the original poster) please replace the word "trumpet" w/ G BUGLE in respect to the CorpsVets portion. That is all.

Edited by gmencontra

Bluecoats - Div 1

Opener: Opening set is a ying yang on its side.

Ha! The kids from Kennesaw must've loved to see that.

Sorry, my bad. Has been fixed along w/ all my other spelling mitakes. While were on the topic, never having marched and not really know that much about how a corps works...

What would be the correct terminolgy now that we have both G and Bb corps?

I tend to use: Sop, Mello, Bari, & Contra...sorta a mix of both Bb and G.

I'm surprised nobody noticed, during Spirit's show, one of the members on the field was wearing an actual 1980 Spirit of Atlanta uniform for a brief time toward the end of the show.

I'm surprised nobody noticed, during Spirit's show, one of the members on the field was wearing an actual 1980 Spirit of Atlanta uniform for a brief time toward the end of the show.

I saw that. He played a little bit of Let It Be Me (wasn't it?), right at the end of the show.

I saw that. He played a little bit of Let It Be Me (wasn't it?), right at the end of the show.

At the end of the ballad...and he actually doesn't play the solo...just stands there looking pretty like Matt Burns does. HAHA (he's going to kill me when he reads this)......anywho, if you notice there is a trumpet player who turns around backfield and plays the solo, facing Matt

What would be the correct terminolgy now that we have both G and Bb corps?

I tend to use: Sop, Mello, Bari, & Contra...sorta a mix of both Bb and G.

Well, if you're ever in a rehearsal with a certain unnamed brass arranger, ahem, this years Crown, do NOT call yourself a soprano if you are really playing a trumpet...he'll kick you out of the horn arc. <**>

Then you'll be forced to quit Crown and go march with the Blue Devils, ala Minh....

Go Devils '03 SOP section! :lee: