Creating Class

What is class? In the drum corps world you look around and ask that question, and one drum corps quickly comes to mind - the Santa Clara Vanguard. How does a drum corps become such an icon of class? Was it a decision made one day, becoming a goal to strive for? Did someone simply apply that label to them and other people jumped aboard? In talking about Santa Clara Vanguard's class, you have to go all the way back to 1967, their first year of existence. At that time the corps was not widely known outside of Northern California. 1967 was the year the corps made their very first venture out of Northern California, traveling all the way down to Southern California. While that isn't necessarily a long distance for a drum corps to travel, it was a major tour for this brand new drum corps. The trip down to Southern California was to attend the Anaheim Kingsmen's 2nd Annual Festival of Music competition. Many of the members were excited because it would be the first time we would get to see the numerous drum corps from around California - the Anaheim Kingsmen, the Buena Park Velvet Knights, the Lynwood Diplomats, LA Chinese, the Seniorities from the south; the Sacramento Capitalaires, Stockton Commodores, and Joaquin Caballeros from the north. A highlight to this trip to Southern California for all the corps was marching in a parade down Main Street Disneyland - which was huge! Since the Vanguard didn't own buses, the booster club (made up mostly of parents) organized a huge caravan to drive the corps down to Anaheim in their automobiles. The corps stayed at the local Community College dorms. All were extremely excited as it was the first real tour for the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Now back in 1967 the United States was going through some major changes in the country. The hippy movement was now in full bloom, especially so in the San Francisco Bay Area, which included Santa Clara. Some of the kids in our corps had longish hair and facial hair, but that was just the dress of that era. Many of our Santa Clara Vanguard members were new to drum corps as it was our first year of existence, and quite a few of these kids had never even marched in a band. The structure of the corps in those early years was somewhat loose and easy going – not harshly disciplined. This trip was our first opportunity to observe drum corps outside of Northern California, literally opening up a whole new world to us.

In 1967 the Anaheim Kingsmen were the pinnacle of California drum corps. With their classic light blue uniforms they projected this image that said in a word – class! At evening affairs they would be dressed in their dark blue blazers, white turtlenecks and finely pressed slacks with a Kingsmen patch over the heart, looking very Ralph Lauren-dish! All with close trimmed haircuts, you almost expected them to pull out a pipe and start singing by the fireplace. We (SCV), on the other hand, were not quite that sophisticated or polished. The hippy movement was prevalent throughout our new and growing corps; our members were more prone to wearing tie-dye clothing than blue blazers. With our hair a bit shaggier, many with some facial hair growing out, we were definitely much more San Francisco-ish in appearance.

In preparation for the show that evening the SCV corps was practicing in different areas around the Anaheim college dorm quad where we were staying. The horn line was located in one area, the drum line in another corner, and the color guard practicing over in an adjacent parking lot. As usual, when the practice ended we all gathered around Gail Royer (Santa Clara Vanguard Director), who normally gave us a pep talk and would prep us for the evening's show. When he finished his talk that day we broke and started heading back to our dorms, when we all noticed this long line starting to enter the quad area. It was the Anaheim Kingsmen, who had been practicing in a near-by field. They entered the quad slowly, walking in a long, single line back to the parking lot where their equipment truck was. As I mentioned earlier, the Kingsmen were at that time the highlight of the California corps. Even though they were not in uniform the line coming into that quad was extremely impressive; the corps just gave off this air of prestige, and, to some degree, one of royalty as they walked through the quad – the affect these kids projected just put you back on your heels. We all watched in awe! As the Kingsmen started to pass through the quad one of our new rookie members cut through the Kingsmen line to get to the other side. At that very moment you could see the Kingsmen drum major turn his head to see this happening, and immediately turned around heading back to our guy with this stern look on his face. You could almost see the steam coming out of his ears – and he was angry! He came back to our rookie and firmly said – "don't EVER (stressing the word "EVER") cut through a Kingsmen line again". Our member apologized for cutting through the line but it had absolutely no effect on the Kingsmen drum major. Afterwards, the Kingsmen finished passing through the quad area and the drum major went up to our director Gail Royer and told him "you guys have a real good corps, but you have no class." Gail didn't say a word but you could tell he was not pleased with the drum major's comment. Gail was not angry at the rookie, but he was angry about what had just happened with the drum major.

That evening, just before going on the field for the show, Gail Royer called the entire corps together and told us word-for-word what the Kingsmen drum major expressed to him that afternoon. Gail didn't say one word about the kid cutting through the line but focused on teaching us what class was. Gail's speech was simple but extremely effective. Class comes from inside and it's in all of us. In that moment after Gail's speech you just knew that things were going to change. It didn't happen overnight, it didn't happen the next year, but it did happen. While we still wore our tie-dye shirts and long hair this thing called class started to build. In those early years we even tried to dress up (white shirts, ties, turtlenecks) like the Kingsmen, but over time realized that just wasn't us, and we ended up back in our tie-dye shirts and jeans. Our "class" (however you define it) would come in our own way and in our own time. It was an evolution that developed and embedded within each member, year after year.

Today - when you see the Santa Clara Vanguard enter the field of competition, the class that is projected out to the audience is something to behold, very much like we saw that day in 1967 watching the Kingsmen march through the quad. That class didn't happen by a mandate, an order, or an edict by Gail Royer - it was just something that Gail taught us all, something built slowly from within by all the kids who were now part of this classic organization. That tradition of class that is projected today is something that comes from within you and your fellow members, a tradition that is now passed on, generation-to-generation.

On that day back in 1967 it really made me angry when the Kingsmen drum major yelled at our member for cutting through the Kingsmen line. My first reaction was to get angry and think about how to get back. On the other hand, Gail Royer's response was very wise. He rose above the anger and knew best how to make this incident be the positive seed that could be sewn and cultivated, forever raising the bar for this new drum corps.

So today, when I think back on that day in 1967 - I just want to kiss that Kingsmen drum major!

Jesse J. Amador

Albuquerque, New Mexico

Edited by amadorj
  • Like 8

I like the Santa Clara Vanguard. I believe they are a well run organization. But this thread ( in my opinion ) was a lame attempt to puff up this Corps by tearing down another Corps ( Anaheim Kingsmen ). Even if the story was true, the BEST way to exude " class " is not to try and make a compelling case on why your Corps is " classy " by tearing down another Corps by the alleged rude actions of a single mamber of another Corps.... and from 44 years ago no less.

In my opinion, this isn't a " classy " post at all by this former marcher with SCV. Far from it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

Thanks a lot for the post Jesse! You shared a precious memory which was from you experienced as a young man. This is nice and I like it! :smile:

• Like 4

I like the Santa Clara Vanguard. I believe they are a well run organization. But this thread ( in my opinion ) was a lame attempt to puff up this Corps by tearing down another Corps ( Anaheim Kingsmen ). Even if the story was true, the BEST way to exude " class " is not to try and make a compelling case on why your Corps is " classy " by tearing down another Corps by the alleged rude actions of a single mamber of another Corps.... and from 44 years ago no less.

In my opinion, this isn't a " classy " post at all by this former marcher with SCV. Far from it.

1st - everyone is welcome to their opinion and whether you believe this happened or not that's your opinion (and so it goes). 2nd - in no way was I knocking the Kingsmen. The Kingsmen have ALWAYS been a class organization and continue to this day with the xKingmen so no disrespect was intended in any shape or form - the Kingsmen continue to this day to be one of my favorite corps. I believe that day in 1967 the Kingsmen drum major was very right in correcting our member for crossing their line, a rookie mistake. Back in the late '60s and early '70 these two corps were very competitive but also very close as many of our members became good friends. Our instructor Joe Martinez left SCV to teach the Kingsmen, Pete Emmons and Fred Sanford came over from the Kingsmen to teach SCV. One of our color guard members (Paula Alvarado) went to march with the Kingsmen, Stanley Knaub came to march with SCV - we were all very much a drum corps family. So to clarify, no disrespect was intended toward the Kingsmen by this article - if anything the Kingsmen laid the foundation for a lesson in class our corps needed to learn.

Best!

-JJA

Edited by amadorj
  • Like 3

1st - everyone is welcome to their opinion and whether you believe this happened or not that's your opinion (and so it goes). 2nd - in no way was I knocking the Kingsmen. The Kingsmen have ALWAYS been a class organization and continue to this day with the xKingmen so no disrespect was intended in any shape or form - the Kingsmen continue to this day to be one of my favorite corps. I believe that day in 1967 the Kingsmen drum major was very right in correcting our member for crossing their line, a rookie mistake. Back in the late '60s and early '70 these two corps were very competitive but also very close as many of our members became good friends. Our instructor Joe Martinez left SCV to teach the Kingsmen, Pete Emmons and Fred Sanford came over from the Kingsmen to teach SCV. One of our color guard members (Paula Alvarado) went to march with the Kingsmen, Stanley Knaub came to march with SCV - we were all very much a drum corps family. So to clarify, no disrespect was intended toward the Kingsmen by this article - if anything the Kingsmen laid the foundation for a lesson in class our corps needed to learn.

Best!

-JJA

This does clarify your comments a bit more regarding your bad experience 44 years ago with a member of the Anaheim Kingsmen. Also, to clarify my remarks above, I never called into question the veracity of your claim that this event occurred. I agree with you that neither the Anaheim Kingsmen nor the Santa Clara Vanguard need an explanation of what " Class ", is as both Corps have manifested such a high level of " class " that it has become self evident.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Did you read the original post? How in the world did you come to this conclusion? It's nothing but praise for the Kingsmen and how they influenced the class SCV exudes today. Seriously?

• Like 2

Did you read the original post? How in the world did you come to this conclusion? It's nothing but praise for the Kingsmen and how they influenced the class SCV exudes today. Seriously?

Eh, I can kinda see where Brasso did come to this conclusion. The OP somewhat made it seem that they were more upset with the Kingsmen DM for telling SCV's rookie not to break ranks than they were upset that their rookie did it in the first place. But the OP did clarify later what they meant. Just to back Brasso up.

• Like 2

Eh, I can kinda see where Brasso did come to this conclusion. The OP somewhat made it seem that they were more upset with the Kingsmen DM for telling SCV's rookie not to break ranks than they were upset that their rookie did it in the first place. But the OP did clarify later what they meant. Just to back Brasso up.

I thought the OP in his second post did a better job of clarifying things, and so my follow up to him recognized that updated clarification as well. I think we all came away from the original post and the follow up update that both Santa Clara Vanguard and the Anaheim Kingmen were and are classy organizations. Hard to disagree with this, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

While in KAC I had the good fortune of marching with folks who marched BOTH AK and SCV in their junior corps years (one even gave up a chance for a 3rd ring with SCV to march AK in '78.) I was also taught by both AK and SCV alums while in high school and we followed the same example, which is part of what prompted me to participate in KAC in the first place; i.e., to give back in some way. It also gave me a chance to march alongside the gentleman (an '82 SCV vet) who got me into DC in 1979 and inspired me to march SCV, but never got the chance to march with during my junior years.

Class: Finishing 2nd four years in a row and leaving the stadium with head held high every time, and not making a big deal of it on the field after Crocker announced the score.

Class: Troopers...I will never forget the time that the Troopers' DM did not leave the field during another corps' victory concert, because he was guarding the colors which had not left the field.

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 2