Creating Class

bestphoto.jpg

Wow..this is one for the ages, imo.

Not only is this pure " class " imo, but this is a DM that was instructed refreshingly well by this Corps staff. This Troopers DM is both classy.... and smart.... when it comes to Flag protocol.

Color me mightily impressed with this.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

bestphoto.jpg

That is PURE CLASS!!!! Thanks for posting!

1st - everyone is welcome to their opinion and whether you believe this happened or not that's your opinion (and so it goes). 2nd - in no way was I knocking the Kingsmen. The Kingsmen have ALWAYS been a class organization and continue to this day with the xKingmen so no disrespect was intended in any shape or form - the Kingsmen continue to this day to be one of my favorite corps. I believe that day in 1967 the Kingsmen drum major was very right in correcting our member for crossing their line, a rookie mistake. Back in the late '60s and early '70 these two corps were very competitive but also very close as many of our members became good friends. Our instructor Joe Martinez left SCV to teach the Kingsmen, Pete Emmons and Fred Sanford came over from the Kingsmen to teach SCV. One of our color guard members (Paula Alvarado) went to march with the Kingsmen, Stanley Knaub came to march with SCV - we were all very much a drum corps family. So to clarify, no disrespect was intended toward the Kingsmen by this article - if anything the Kingsmen laid the foundation for a lesson in class our corps needed to learn.

Best!

-JJA

Well THAT came off a little weak...

Now I'm going to be the jerk...

There is no protocol that keeps the Troopers DM there with regard to the colors. What DOES bother me is DCI's treatment of color guard protocol. I've always had major issues with the lack of care given to the ACTUAL color guard detachment. The fact that there are no rifle guards posted with the colors in that photograph is troublesome.

HOWEVER, the Troopers DM is one of my favorite examples of class. I recognize the sentiment, trust me.

ummmmmmm ?

Class: Troopers...I will never forget the time that the Troopers' DM did not leave the field during another corps' victory concert, because he was guarding the colors which had not left the field.

I am not limiting the definition of drum corps class to the aforementioned organizations. But, another classy moment that comes to mind is the Troopers lining the tunnel at the Cotton Bowl as we marched out in '71 carrying the VFW trophy. We had become friends over that season and this was a very memorable moment to me.

Edited by ozarkbugler

There is no protocol that keeps the Troopers DM there with regard to the colors. What DOES bother me is DCI's treatment of color guard protocol. I've always had major issues with the lack of care given to the ACTUAL color guard detachment. The fact that there are no rifle guards posted with the colors in that photograph is troublesome.

HOWEVER, the Troopers DM is one of my favorite examples of class. I recognize the sentiment, trust me.

It is very much a grey area as to whether or not The Troopers DM was acting out of proper flag protocol, or simply out of a unilateral mode of respect. The DCI " retreat " has a semblance of military retreat, but it is not a full blown military retreat. If it was, the Flag must be properly retired, before the troops can leave. The troops do not leave while the Flag is still being displayed in ceremony, and clearly, the ceremony here was still going on.

I do agree with you that it is a bit disconcerting to see the lack of proper protocol with the flag. For example, not only is there no " Guard " ( only one required, but 2 is preferable ) with the " Flag Bearer " here in this picture, the Flag is not to be involved in out door ceremony after sunset, unless it has singular "illumination" on the flag apart from other created light. This event in this picture is clearly after sunset and it does not appear that the Flag here is specifically illuminated apart from othe light created for the " retreat ". The US Flag Code itself applies to military units as " regulations " and as " recommendations " to civilian groups. Drum Corps are clearly " civilian groups ", and so the protocol with these groups do provide more lattitude. That said, many organizations like Boys Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc tend to follow the flag protocol required of the US Military. Things got dicey re. Flag ettiquette and protocol sometimes prior to the 80's when there were quite a few Canadian Corps that displayed both the Canadian Flag as well as the American Flag. Usually however, accommodations were found to enable both Countries to feel that their Flag was properly displayed and honored in Corps and at Drum Corps show " retreats ".

Edited by BRASSO

I do agree with you that it is a bit disconcerting to see the lack of proper protocol with the flag. For example, not only is there no " Guard " ( only one required, but 2 is preferable ) with the " Flag Bearer " here in this picture, the Flag is not to be involved in out door ceremony after sunset, unless it has singular "illumination" on the flag apart from other created light. This event in this picture is clearly after sunset and it does not appear that the Flag here is specifically illuminated apart from othe light created for the " retreat ". The US Flag Code itself applies to military units as " regulations " and as " recommendations " to civilian groups. Drum Corps are clearly " civilian groups ", and so the protocol with these groups do provide more lattitude. That said, many organizations like Boys Scouts, Girl Scouts, etc tend to follow the flag protocol required of the US Military. Things got dicey re. Flag ettiquette and protocol sometimes prior to the 80's when there were quite a few Canadian Corps that displayed both the Canadian Flag as well as the American Flag. Usually however, accommodations were found to enable both Countries to feel that their Flag was properly displayed and honored in Corps and at Drum Corps show " retreats ".

This provision only applies to buildings and stationery flagstaffs. It does *not* apply to parades or retreats (which is quite obvious as we've all seen military honor guards after sunset).

There is law on the books that applies to every citizen (not just the military) but the US Code does not actually impose penalties. That's left to individual states. There are additional regs regarding the flag in military handbooks.

All that said I agree with you that we see improper flag protocol all the time.

Wow..this is one for the ages, imo.

Not only is this pure " class " imo, but this is a DM that was instructed refreshingly well by this Corps staff. This Troopers DM is both classy.... and smart.... when it comes to Flag protocol.

Color me mightily impressed with this.

1LT Mark Crimm, USAF, was an Air Force ROTC Cadet at the University of Wyoming at the time. I'd bet he knew just why he stayed on the field that night... even after all of the other DM's were dismissed.

• Like 3