Accutane and Drum Corps

This isn't Coumadin or Depakote which would drastically affect one's health if he or she missed a dose. Accutane and its generic's warning labels clearly state not to take it and have prolonged sun exposure, which would cause irreversible skin damage or have worse effects.

Yes, but like Lance and I and others have stated, one should always talk with their doctor about a change in their medication regime. If the doctor knows he'll be out in the sun so much, there might be alternatives that can be prescribed.

I'm not a doctor, but I once played one in a school skit.

I've actually been on Accutane TWICE. (thanks mom for the genetics...)

It will make your skin incredibly sensitive to the sun.

Thankfully my skin gives me one sunburn a year and then I tan easily after that.

I very seldom use sunscreen.

But on Accutane, you can bet that I tried to limit my time in the sun.

I'd definitely wait until after the season is over.

I would think this is a serious enough issue, being a drug most often taken by teenagers, that DCI should have a position on this. I'm sure there are actual doctors associated with DCI, as parents, board members of various corps, or drum corps vets, who could write a 'position paper' for DCI saying all corps are strongly advised to be sure members cease taking Accutane within 2 months (or whatever...) of the drum corps season. Not only does it seem dangerous to the member taking the drug, but it also presents a possible problem for the entire corps membership when the Accutane user becomes ill from the side effects, leaving a hole behind.

When I was young and suffered with acne, one of the recommendations from the doctor was to get some sun...perhaps that alone is enough, at least for a summer...

I struggled with this myself - took it in the fall of 98 through the spring of 99. That summer I managed to burn the you-know-what out of my skin on more than one occasion, WITH sunscreen.

It was totally worth it in the long run, but if he just started taking accutane it might be wise to give it a rest until the fall. Just my two cents. I'd ask the doctor.

Yes, but like Lance and I and others have stated, one should always talk with their doctor about a change in their medication regime. If the doctor knows he'll be out in the sun so much, there might be alternatives that can be prescribed.

I'm not a doctor, but I once played one in a school skit.

Yes, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express beforehand? :tongue:

To add to my previous post:

One of my Accutane sessions was in the fall

And I would get the occasional nosebleed.

It dries you out - now contemplate using it in the summer.

Better have some Vaseline on hand to keep your nose lubricated.

Yes, but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express beforehand? :tongue:

Okay...that's a pop reference I don't know about.

if this medicine has bad side effects when combined with the sun, then it seems obvious you should not take it during drum corps. This doesn't seem like a complicated issue to me.

Yeah, you don't have to go to med school to figure this issue out.

I don't see why this wasn't brought up by the doctor (or the patient side) for that matter.

It's dealing with skin, and you know you're going to be out in the sun for excessive amounts of time.

if this medicine has bad side effects when combined with the sun, then it seems obvious you should not take it during drum corps. This doesn't seem like a complicated issue to me.

It's not that it's a complicated issue, but more that discontinuing a prescribed drug without speaking with the practitioner who prescribed it is never a good thing.

Additionally, just because they stop taking it, doesn't mean that the side effects will stop immediately...so getting the practitioner's counsel on what can be done to keep the member safe is also important.

• Like 1