2010 Finals Webcast Free on DCI Fan Network Today (5/27)

The fact of the matter is that DCI is NOT in the business of supplying professional live streams.

Sort of my point. There are loads of companies out there that have the infrastructure and would do this for nothing, if positioned correctly.

Just so you know, IBM was responsible for producing or dealing with the '95 broadcast. They're a professional company. Those were considered to be horrible compared to the ones produced internally by Tom Blair and DCI... So my point is that I'm not sure that an outside company would do a better job than DCI. DCI understands the product better than anyone else.

No idea what the details of the IBM relationship were, but video definitely isn't a core competency of theirs.

My main criticism wasn't the production quality of the performance video itself (excellent as always), but was the lack of any value-add, content that I could get ONLY from the live broadcast... and the massive amounts of dead air. Again, a missed opportunity when you have the attention of so many people for the only time you might during the entire year.

Sort of my point. There are loads of companies out there that have the infrastructure and would do this for nothing, if positioned correctly.

No idea what the details of the IBM relationship were, but video definitely isn't a core competency of theirs.

My main criticism wasn't the production quality of the performance video itself (excellent as always), but was the lack of any value-add, content that I could get ONLY from the live broadcast... and the massive amounts of dead air. Again, a missed opportunity when you have the attention of so many people for the only time you might during the entire year.

Have you looked at IBM's business model lately? They provide technology services. It's not your grandfather's IBM.

I think your comments are great! It's just that you're looking at this from a different perspective than DCI.

I get the impression that you want an entertainment company. DCI isn't that. They're there to facilitate what their member corps want.

Maybe they should go in this direction, but we shouldn't expect them to be something they're not.

• Like 1

Have you looked at IBM's business model lately? They provide technology services. It's not your grandfather's IBM.

There are about a billion reasons why I can't really answer that question. :)

I think your comments are great! It's just that you're looking at this from a different perspective than DCI.

I get the impression that you want an entertainment company. DCI isn't that. They're there to facilitate what their member corps want.

Maybe they should go in this direction, but we shouldn't expect them to be something they're not.

Well, this was sort of the premise of another thread. My opinion, and really... only my opinion... is that much has changed since the foundation of DCI where their original founding mission and structure is not exactly in line with the current market and opportunities.

There are about a billion reasons why I can't really answer that question. :)

Ha! Probably!

Well, this was sort of the premise of another thread. My opinion, and really... only my opinion... is that much has changed since the foundation of DCI where their original founding mission and structure is not exactly in line with the current market and opportunities.

Yes, they should adjust. It's going to take time and desire. I'm sure there are enough people in the right places to tell them that there needs to be some change.

it's hard to adjust when some corps just tried to fire the staff at DCI, starting at the top.

True, but I was only address this narrow issue.

I should clarify, Maybe DCI should adjust to the current times as far as their media presentation.

They've been doing this already, yet there seems to be an increasing desire for an even more professional presentation on these web casts.

I believe it will come in time.

As far as what you said above, I'm right there with you, but that's a bigger issue than this thread. smile.gif

I don't have cable or a DVD player. Haven't used either in years. 100% of anything I watch is either purchased from iTunes or streamed from content providers like HBO, Hulu, Netflix, etc.

That said, if there was a option to purchase video download of the entire broadcast right after the broadcast (or even the next morning) for the cost of the DVDs, I'd definitely do it. A lot of people have no use for DVDs.

Your the fringe that DCI isn't marketing to.

• Like 1

You're the fringe that DCI isn't marketing to.

Thank goodness! :tongue:

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

Your the fringe that DCI isn't marketing to.

That fringe is on the tipping point of becoming the next trend. The numbers of people dropping cable and going to streaming content and over the air exclusively is growing every month, just as landlines are already old tech for most people under the age of 50. And physical recordings are already on the way out - the future is in purely digital content, whether streamed or kept on a hard drive.

DCI should be jumping on the wagon of focusing on their streaming content for revenue rather than manufacturing and packaging physical discs. DVDs and Bluray is already so 00's. :cool:

Edited by mobrien