2011 Uniforms

I can certainly admire the passion of the author... but, it is just a costume... for a youth marching band show. It something that is here now, in this moment (and who even knows how it may evolve through the course of the season)... and is certainly nothing permanent or definitive of the organization.

I would also challenge the idea that the organization exists solely as a performance group, as its activities and reach are much broader and becoming continually more diversified than simply that of a single ensemble (educational programs, publishing, equipment, exchange programs, on top of the various performing groups).

I also disagree that the organization is necessarily product-driven, but more purpose driven... and the decades of effort in fulfilling this purpose have evolved a specific process that ultimately results in the product.

Anyway, again... it is just a costume for a marching band show... nothing to get too worked up over.

:worthy:

This is really why non-marchers can only comment on certain aspects of the activity. Those people tend to get real worked up over the trivial minutia of drum corps when it changes absolutely nothing about the experience the performers are having for the other 23 hours 50 minutes you DON'T see them on the field in uniform, ya know?

After seeing pics on facebook of Phantom under the lights... I TOTALLY stand by my comments earlier in the thread reference the black plumage. It does not work under the lights. The black uniform trim does however the plumage does not. It looks like they are just wearing helmets as the plumage is lost into the night. They need to switch back to the white chickens!

I'll bet they switch back to white by mid-season. I'm surprised they even tried this at all, knowing they would end the season in front of the magical vanishing power of the Black Curtain of Doom in Indy.

Not one worth sharing at least.

Hmmm...this is a thread on 2011 uniforms, which is a topic geared towards offering opinions about said uniforms. I stated my opinions, but obviously you disagree. That's fine.

However, you also think dissenting opinions aren't worth expressing. Sorry if you're offended, but get over it. Until this site becomes a one-opinion only forum, my opinions are worth just as much as yours.

• Like 3

but then the front left and front right have the same as eachother but different than the other matching 2. Also the snare middle right has something different than both other pairs of drums. Probably the same decal but placed different on the drums.

Whiiiiiich is about what I said in the first place.

I'll bet they switch back to white by mid-season. I'm surprised they even tried this at all, knowing they would end the season in front of the magical vanishing power of the Black Curtain of Doom in Indy.

....it might change, but

1. It takes DAYS and DAYS to make those plumes (I know, I help make them!), they are not bought from a catalog. It would take some planning to get another set made and to the corps.

2. Have you seen a picture of the corps above 'ground level'? The white plumes always got lost from above and in really bright inside stadium lights black should do alright. (we should see this weekend!)

3. I AGREE that the black plumes didnt do much at dress rehersal EXCEPT when they go infront of the flags. The plumes pop and the flags look even brighter.

4. I'm still thinking that under brighter lighting (so far it has all been high school stadium lighting) the silver mixed into those feathers will start showing.

(Actually, I'd love to see red plumes and some red jacket accents!)

• Like 1

....it might change, but

1. It takes DAYS and DAYS to make those plumes (I know, I help make them!), they are not bought from a catalog. It would take some planning to get another set made and to the corps.

2. Have you seen a picture of the corps above 'ground level'? The white plumes always got lost from above and in really bright inside stadium lights black should do alright. (we should see this weekend!)

3. I AGREE that the black plumes didnt do much at dress rehersal EXCEPT when they go infront of the flags. The plumes pop and the flags look even brighter.

4. I'm still thinking that under brighter lighting (so far it has all been high school stadium lighting) the silver mixed into those feathers will start showing.

(Actually, I'd love to see red plumes and some red jacket accents!)

It is not the color of the plumes, but the contrast of the two colors. When they were in all black, even with the dark color, the helmet and plume were the same shade and visually combined into a tall shape. Here your eye has a choice between something shorter and very bright, or something taller and very dark. It's going to go with the short bright thing (especially since so much of the rest of the uniform is white) and let the other recede into the background, making everyone look short and plumeless. You see a lot of the reverse combination, black shakos with white plumes, etc., and that doesn't have the same result, since you focus on the tall bright thing instead of the short dark.

I think it looks very sharp from a presentation standpoint, but from the all-important distance effect perspective, may not be achieving the desired result.

• Like 1