2011 Uniforms

It's okay, he just forgot that your opinion is the only valid one here. Clearly. Is there any other knowledge you'd like to share with us, All-Knowing One?

He is not alone in that opinion. That uniform is horrendous. It is the worst thing they have EVER put on the field, visually or even musically.

• Like 3

[edit: never mind. It's not worth it.]

By the way, the "sash" on BD's new uni hangs off the right side of the body. It's reversed (because of the mirror) in the pic posted in this thread. And actually, after seeing pics of it on the field at Family Day, it doesn't look all that bad, IMO. I still wish they would "modernize" the old BD tux at some point, though.

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1

Man... there are a lot of really good candidates for 'crappiest new uniform of the year'. Glad BD could get into that game this year.. and good to know they play to win in everything they set out to do.

• Like 5

255703_10150206579699563_549704562_7150982_2375707_n.jpg

Absolutely, without a doubt the worst looking things the Blue Devils have EVERY put on the field. Words cannot begin to describe how bad this is. Yes, I am old school. This is my 25th season following drum corps. No uniform, BD or any other corps, can come close to the classic open jackets. That look is BD. The 94-03 unis were tolerable and I came to live with them. 04-05 were pretty bad. 06-10, especially after they switched back to white plumes, were some stripes and a skirt away from being pretty decent. But now this. I am so demoralized by this uniform, my excitement over what was their most accessible and entertaining musical book in decades has largely been sapped tonight. Drum corps is not just the music - there is a visual element and the look can enhance or detract. Like I said...I realize I am in the realm now of old fogy, but as I noted, the most recent uniform was a few tweaks from being a nice modern allusion to the open jackets. But this...it looks like the whole corps will be wearing color guard uniforms.

BD has the one of the richest and most storied histories and traditions in the activity. Why can this staff just not embrace that? Why must they be so bleeding edge for the sake of being bizarre? Retro is in in so many sports so why does a tradition-laden corps like BD thumb its nose at that very tradition? I am not just a naysayer. From what I heard on the pre-season recordings, they nailed the music this year. Absolutely nailed it. That show gave them every opportunity to come out of the gate in a modern take on the classic uniform given the era of the charts.

One week ago I was so excited about 2011. I had planned to travel to DCI Minnesota in addition to my normal trip to Murfreesboro and DCI Southeastern in Atlanta, perhaps even Finals. Now, except for the fact that I was hoping to wrap a mini-vacation trip into the Minnesota show, I do not have a lot of interest in going to drum corps show right now. Hopefully, as when Georgia Tech dropped their traditional football uniforms in 2008, I will get over this change and focus on the very positive of the show. But I truly fear that see the corps march onto the field in these uniforms will be so distracting that it will make it hard to enjoy those positives.

Am I ranting? Yes. But I really love drum corps and I love the Blue Devils, though I never marched anything more than high school band and one week in the Georgia Tech band when I was a freshman. That is why this matters to me because I see something that I have looked forward to every summer for a quarter century slipping away and turning into something that almost no longer interests me. Progress is one thing. But the changes in DCI in recent year have fundamentally detracted from what made it special and exciting to me as a huge fan. I wonder if the year that I have long dreaded has finally arrived - the year I stop caring and start counting down the days to football season now rather than the Sunday after Finals. We'll see how I feel in a week or so. :(

Edited by FinanceBuzz
  • Like 9

Absolutely, without a doubt the worst looking things the Blue Devils have EVERY put on the field. Words cannot begin to describe how bad this is. Yes, I am old school. This is my 25th season following drum corps. No uniform, BD or any other corps, can come close to the classic open jackets. That look is BD. The 94-03 unis were tolerable and I came to live with them. 04-05 were pretty bad. 06-10, especially after they switched back to white plumes, were some stripes and a skirt away from being pretty decent. But now this. I am so demoralized by this uniform, my excitement over what was their most accessible and entertaining musical book in decades has largely been sapped tonight. Drum corps is not just the music - there is a visual element and the look can enhance or detract. Like I said...I realize I am in the realm now of old fogy, but as I noted, the most recent uniform was a few tweaks from being a nice modern allusion to the open jackets. But this...it looks like the whole corps will be wearing color guard uniforms.

BD has the one of the richest and most storied histories and traditions in the activity. Why can this staff just not embrace that? Why must they be so bleeding edge for the sake of being bizarre? Retro is in in so many sports so why does a tradition-laden corps like BD thumb its nose at that very tradition? I am not just a naysayer. From what I heard on the pre-season recordings, they nailed the music this year. Absolutely nailed it. That show gave them every opportunity to come out of the gate in a modern take on the classic uniform given the era of the charts.

One week ago I was so excited about 2011. I had planned to travel to DCI Minnesota in addition to my normal trip to Murfreesboro and DCI Southeastern in Atlanta, perhaps even Finals. Now, except for the fact that I was hoping to wrap a mini-vacation trip into the Minnesota show, I do not have a lot of interest in going to drum corps show right now. Hopefully, as when Georgia Tech dropped their traditional football uniforms in 2008, I will get over this change and focus on the very positive of the show. But I truly fear that see the corps march onto the field in these uniforms will be so distracting that it will make it hard to enjoy those positives.

Am I ranting? Yes. But I really love drum corps and I love the Blue Devils, though I never marched anything more than high school band and one week in the Georgia Tech band when I was a freshman. That is why this matters to me because I see something that I have looked forward to every summer for a quarter century slipping away and turning into something that almost no longer interests me. Progress is one thing. But the changes in DCI in recent year have fundamentally detracted from what made it special and exciting to me as a huge fan. I wonder if the year that I have long dreaded has finally arrived - the year I stop caring and start counting down the days to football season now rather than the Sunday after Finals. We'll see how I feel in a week or so. :(

the passion

Man... there are a lot of really good candidates for 'crappiest new uniform of the year'. Glad BD could get into that game this year.. and good to know they play to win in everything they set out to do.

LOL, I don't necessarily agree with the comment (I kinda like BD's new threads) but it did give me a good laugh!tongue.gif

Edited by crownisking

All that...for a uniform? :huh: