2011 Uniforms

I generally like the way uniforms are looking this year. Cool stuff!

I still think Crown's classic uniform with the purple is better than any of the newer creations but this is at least a step up from last year. The drums look OK.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 3

Not only is DCI 2011 going to be a great year for shows, but these uniforms are getting insanely awesome. I mean, every corps that has new style to them looks great. Crown looks amazing like that but I do agree the purple uniform before they got the new ones was definitely the best look for them. Actually, these are great too, I love 'em. I still think my favorite uniforms are Cavaliers and Bluecoats and maybe SCV. Simple (for the most part) and they look sharp. And I'm a sucker for anything that isn't a shako since Cavalier hats and helmets look so boss on the battery.

• Like 3

After seeing pics on facebook of Phantom under the lights... I TOTALLY stand by my comments earlier in the thread reference the black plumage. It does not work under the lights. The black uniform trim does however the plumage does not. It looks like they are just wearing helmets as the plumage is lost into the night. They need to switch back to the white chickens!

They're on the bass heads as well...didn't see that at first.

And they look like identical decals (easier for production)...look at the snare center front...then look at the snare back line on your right...same decal...same position on the drum.

Likewise front rank, 2 guys on the outsides...same decal, same placement on THEIR drums, although slightly different from the center.

When they line up it'll probably complete a line o' flame image.

Basses have the same decal as well. Tenors probably do.

crowndrums.jpg

but then the front left and front right have the same as eachother but different than the other matching 2. Also the snare middle right has something different than both other pairs of drums. Probably the same decal but placed different on the drums.

Edited by skeptic

upgrade from last year? it looks like the same uniform with a black shirt instead of the brown suede thing from last year. not really much of a change other than the two tone shako and black plume.

well it is an upgrade... i kinda liked the look of last years crown uniform (as a full corps) but the brown was just.... BLAH. the black makes a world of difference!

Edited by skeptic

But something hit me this morning - and I won't go into a larger discussion of how I think drum corps has changed for the worse - that BD owes me nothing and if they don't care about their heritage why should I?

They are a private organization that exists solely as a performance group.

They offer up their "product" and if I like it, I buy, perhaps I get very passionate about it (think, Apple fans here) and if I do not like, I merely consume (or not if the product is that unattractive) without any high degree of passion.

I can certainly admire the passion of the author... but, it is just a costume... for a youth marching band show. It something that is here now, in this moment (and who even knows how it may evolve through the course of the season)... and is certainly nothing permanent or definitive of the organization.

I would also challenge the idea that the organization exists solely as a performance group, as its activities and reach are much broader and becoming continually more diversified than simply that of a single ensemble (educational programs, publishing, equipment, exchange programs, on top of the various performing groups).

I also disagree that the organization is necessarily product-driven, but more purpose driven... and the decades of effort in fulfilling this purpose have evolved a specific process that ultimately results in the product.

Anyway, again... it is just a costume for a marching band show... nothing to get too worked up over.

well it is an upgrade... i kinda liked the look of last years crown uniform (as a full corps) but the brown was just.... BLAH. the black makes a world of difference!

It does indeed, though on a quick glance you might think you're looking at the Glassmen. It's definitely an upgrade over the brown, though.

Mike

I've only seen the one pic of Crown. Are the 3 quarter sleeves for everyone, or just percussion? (I assume for everyone, but both answers make sense to me)

254574_10150217796668958_118908788957_7073403_1353408_n.jpg

This reminds me of the horrors we had putting together boxes on the prop crew of the 1995 Glassmen.

gboxes.png

I will admit BD has much nicer looking boxes. Its amazing what 16 years of drum corps prop box technology enhancements can produce.

Edited by Chris Rohn
  • Like 1