2011 Uniforms

It is not the color of the plumes, but the contrast of the two colors. When they were in all black, even with the dark color, the helmet and plume were the same shade and visually combined into a tall shape. Here your eye has a choice between something shorter and very bright, or something taller and very dark. It's going to go with the short bright thing (especially since so much of the rest of the uniform is white) and let the other recede into the background, making everyone look short and plumeless. You see a lot of the reverse combination, black shakos with white plumes, etc., and that doesn't have the same result, since you focus on the tall bright thing instead of the short dark.

I think it looks very sharp from a presentation standpoint, but from the all-important distance effect perspective, may not be achieving the desired result.

Excellent point that I also had thought about!

• Like 1

I like Academy's new threads, although I'd drop the buttons at the shoulder and upper arm, myself. The wing collar with the tie is definitely different...not so sure this uni NEEDS headgear, tho. A top hat generally goes with this type of collar for white or black tie affairs, but I think Academy could go with no headgear and work just fine. Works for Govies, Renegades, and Empire (especially Empire, since there IS a bit of a resemblance between the 2 here.)

There is headgear. Dress Rehearsal is this Friday Night in Mesa.

I am hearing tallish shako and tall plume. I have not seen it yet other than in the Cesario sketch.

There is headgear. Dress Rehearsal is this Friday Night in Mesa.

I am hearing tallish shako and tall plume. I have not seen it yet other than in the Cesario sketch.

I have to ask at this point: Why do they still let Cesario design uniforms? :ph34r:

• Like 3

Excellent point that I also had thought about!

I've been wanting them to have black accents on their uniforms for years just so there would be some contrast, I think it'll really make them look cleaner. Also, War Eagle!

• Like 1

I have to ask at this point: Why do they still let Cesario design uniforms? :ph34r:

Because he still has more hits than misses, IMO. Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Berkner and Round Rock HS in Texas, Owasso HS in OK, etc.

Because he still has more hits than misses, IMO. Phantom Regiment, Blue Devils, Berkner and Round Rock HS in Texas, Owasso HS in OK, etc.

I would agree...most uniforms are starting to look alike.. BUT Anyway I usually love PRs unis ( all versions ) dont like this years, not liking the crest and looks very cheap to me....Doesnt mean I cant love the corps though.

This is really why non-marchers can only comment on certain aspects of the activity. Those people tend to get real worked up over the trivial minutia of drum corps when it changes absolutely nothing about the experience the performers are having for the other 23 hours 50 minutes you DON'T see them on the field in uniform, ya know?

For marchers from certain corps, or from a certain era, the uniform is a symbol that embodies everything that is sacred (to them) about drum corps. Discipline, honor, tradition, what have you. Uniforms and other symbols (flags, etc.) can be invested with a lot meaning, so it's no wonder people get upset when they're tampered with.

I could care less, myself. Symbols have never held much meaning for me. I just ask that corps do their best to provide uniforms that look sharp on and off the field, and maintain a certain level of decorum while wearing said uniforms.

I agree rkfdPRphan. If you watch a video from finals, the chickens are not in front of the black curtain since you view them from up high.

That's certainly true of the high-camera shots, but with medium or close-ups, they usually have a wall of black behind them. I just remember it really struck me at the theater broadcast the first year in Indy. They would go in for one of those sweeping, angled shots and BAM, all the dark parts of the uniforms disappeared into the backdrop. Even with various poorly-lit rear stands in other venues, etc., I had never noticed such a dramatic change as the black fabric creates.