Hatred in drum corps

he may have indeed thought it was funny. Humor is like GE....if people don't get it, you're screwed.

they didn't get his humor.

Kind of like comprehending the boorish behavior from the stands that caused this situation?

HH

• Like 1

he may have indeed thought it was funny. Humor is like GE....if people don't get it, you're screwed.

they didn't get his humor.

I thought the crowd got it - it just made them madder. The boos definitely got louder after George's bow. People who were pretty PO'd at Hop took their chance to vent, and Hop - a guy who is used to being a lightning rod for criticism - tried to shrug it off. As someone said above, I'm not really sure what I'd do if 10,000 people started booing me in the Rose Bowl, so its hard to fault Hop much for his response.

What really shocked me was how much the boos affected the Cadets' performance that night. Pretty much everyone in the stadium (including, I'm sure, the Cadets members) knew that people were booing Hop, but it still really rattled the corps. There was just no comparison between their Thurs & Fri performances. 2007 quarters was a real low point in the activity. As bad as booing Star in the early 90s. I wouldn't remain a DCI fan if things like that were regular occurrences.

But fortunately episodes like that are rare. Much of what gets labeled "hate" on these forums is just "mild dislike" or "rivalry" or "humor" that gets blown out of proportion on a message board. I don't think it has any real impact on either the people reading it or on the corps' members and staff.

• Like 1

...What really shocked me was how much the boos affected the Cadets' performance that night. Pretty much everyone in the stadium (including, I'm sure, the Cadets members) knew that people were booing Hop, but it still really rattled the corps. There was just no comparison between their Thurs & Fri performances. 2007 quarters was a real low point in the activity. As bad as booing Star in the early 90s. I wouldn't remain a DCI fan if things like that were regular occurrences...

emphasis added

I think you've solved the equation yourself here. And the answer was obvious. The corps wasn't sure for whom the boos were meant; that's why they were rattled. It's also why the boos were so wrong. However the booers might care to rationalize their actions, they have to know communication of that sort isn't precise. Likewise, the corps members, even if they suspected other reasons, surely couldn't be sure the boos weren't directed at them. They were performing. And let's be honest, they'd heard the ugliness before. They felt the boos, and that's a shame.

HH

• Like 1

emphasis added

I think you've solved the equation yourself here. And the answer was obvious. The corps wasn't sure for whom the boos were meant; that's why they were rattled. It's also why the boos were so wrong. However the booers might care to rationalize their actions, they have to know communication of that sort isn't precise. Likewise, the corps members, even if they suspected other reasons, surely couldn't be sure the boos weren't directed at them. They were performing. And let's be honest, they'd heard the ugliness before. They felt the boos, and that's a shame.

HH

yup......and Im sure members knew of he negativity people had with regard to the narration.......so it is easy to see how they could have thought it was about them

Booing is awful, no matter how you slice it. Don't clap, be silent and that's it. I want to see the day, and it could happen when todays youth BOO, slaughter , malaga,or many of the drum corps old classics. lets see how those who love that will react.

As per the thread, Is there hatred? of course there is,Drum Corps is not immume to these kind of emotions. Many in drum corps believe we are above many negative emotions. We just choose to call it passion.

So however you want to slice it WE, are not immune in any respect just like other sports,school rivals, and yes even the church.............JMO :smile:

• Like 1

the people marching are not mindless robots forced to do the bidding of tyrants. they oftentimes know full well what kind of aesthetic the corps they're going for has chosen over the last several years,. and quite actively wish to become a part of that aesthetic

it's disingenuous and feeble try to tell them "i'm not booing you, i'm booing your creative staff's choices" on a message board after the fact. the vast majority of marchers were attracted to the trend of those choices.

booing a corps is classeless and always hateful.

imo

thankfully, i've seen very little of that kind of childish behavior, and it induced little but eye-rolling by adults i've seen.

• Like 3

Kind of like comprehending the boorish behavior from the stands that caused this situation?

HH

I didn't support them. Good of you to catch that. But, if a crowd is letting you hear it, do you just go about your business, or do you fan the flames? Two wrongs don't make a right

emphasis added

HH

it's a shame it rattled the kids. But on the other hand, if you're going to go there for example, you have to know going in you're marching in a lightning rod, and more often than not one guy creates the sizzle. Plus, and no lie, I've heard directors say "oh they hate you" in the lot, when really, fans showing displeasure are either doing it because of the choices the adults on staff created in the design or their actions. Too many "adults" hide behind the kids when the #### hits the fan.

• Like 1

it's a shame it rattled the kids. But on the other hand, if you're going to go there for example, you have to know going in you're marching in a lightning rod, and more often than not one guy creates the sizzle. Plus, and no lie, I've heard directors say "oh they hate you" in the lot, when really, fans showing displeasure are either doing it because of the choices the adults on staff created in the design or their actions. Too many "adults" hide behind the kids when the #### hits the fan.

You dont punish kids or for that matter anyone for creative differences..YES i dont like alot of design choices BUT I dont have to watch it, clap for it, endorse it or even look at it.

Theres no reason for being a mad dog over someting you dont like.............Dont watch it period!!!

Not sayin you jeff in general...lol :tongue: