Hatred in drum corps

it's a shame it rattled the kids. But on the other hand, if you're going to go there for example, you have to know going in you're marching in a lightning rod, and more often than not one guy creates the sizzle. Plus, and no lie, I've heard directors say "oh they hate you" in the lot, when really, fans showing displeasure are either doing it because of the choices the adults on staff created in the design or their actions. Too many "adults" hide behind the kids when the #### hits the fan.

Need to be careful with implications here, seems you went from a specific to a general situation?

Just to be very clear, I can not imagine Mr. Hopkins saying to the members that, "oh they hate you" after the booing in 2007. Love him or hate him....he's not a guy to hide behind the kids or anyone else for that matter.

• Like 1

I didn't support them. Good of you to catch that. But, if a crowd is letting you hear it, do you just go about your business, or do you fan the flames? Two wrongs don't make a right

Stop trying to justify an unjustified act. And surely, I hope you were NOT among those booing.

You dont punish kids or for that matter anyone for creative differences..YES i dont like alot of design choices BUT I dont have to watch it, clap for it, endorse it or even look at it.

Theres no reason for being a mad dog over someting you dont like.............Dont watch it period!!!

Not sayin you jeff in general...lol :tongue:

Look, people have few ways in drum corps of expressing displeasure. Not saying I agree, but it is a competition, and like sports, people will boo. I understand and applaud what kids do out there, but I also realize the world aint roses and sunshine. Thus, the dillemma...are we an educational activity, or a competition? Well, we're both. So, you're going to get some of both behaviors. Those that applaud everything, and those that boo.

If we're teaching the kids in DCI that life is all sunshine and roses and everyone will universally adore you just because, then we have failed the education portion of our mission.

But, the dilemma is, if you tell people to stop going well, then you hurt the bottom line. For years people have said "well if you hate it don't go". Well people have. attendance is down, and the economy going back up is not going to be the miracle cure many seem to think it will be. So, before someone trots that line out, be careful....you keep telling people to go away, you'll find ever fewer fans going. DCI can't afford that

• Like 1

Need to be careful with implications here, seems you went from a specific to a general situation?

Just to be very clear, I can not imagine Mr. Hopkins saying to the members that, "oh they hate you" after the booing in 2007. Love him or hate him....he's not a guy to hide behind the kids or anyone else for that matter.

oh no he wasn't the one that said that. Love him or hate him, Hop is open and honest to a fault

• Like 2

Stop trying to justify an unjustified act. And surely, I hope you were NOT among those booing.

so glad you read. I didn't say either was right. and no, in my movie theater, I was laughing cause I predicted DCP would explode.

• Like 1

So much of the attempt to justify the boos at 2007 quarters seems to depend on two wrongs making a right, which in this case they don't. Putting the corps in that position can't be justified by the director's reaction any more than it can be justified by artistic preference. About the best you can say about the booers is their emotions got out of control. But in saying that, you really can't find intellectual justication for their failure because it really is a failure, one for which that corps and perhaps drum corps history paid a price.

HH

• Like 1

Look, people have few ways in drum corps of expressing displeasure. Not saying I agree, but it is a competition, and like sports, people will boo. I understand and applaud what kids do out there, but I also realize the world aint roses and sunshine. Thus, the dillemma...are we an educational activity, or a competition? Well, we're both. So, you're going to get some of both behaviors. Those that applaud everything, and those that boo.

If we're teaching the kids in DCI that life is all sunshine and roses and everyone will universally adore you just because, then we have failed the education portion of our mission.

But, the dilemma is, if you tell people to stop going well, then you hurt the bottom line. For years people have said "well if you hate it don't go". Well people have. attendance is down, and the economy going back up is not going to be the miracle cure many seem to think it will be. So, before someone trots that line out, be careful....you keep telling people to go away, you'll find ever fewer fans going. DCI can't afford that

Yes you are right the world is no bed of roses and kids have to know the reality of everything and learning BAD behavior of adults I guess is one of them. And sorry I dont buy the reason for lack of attendance on shows etc etc.. thats the few who believe that their glorified presence is shifting the tides and makes those people believe and justify their own egos..Sorry didnt buy it yesterday or today. The world is different and thats it. JMO, we can argue that until its all gone and then people will argue and blame for the next 50 years after.

Back to behavior, maybe we can start the show with ' LETS GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEE" so if people still go then just shut up. I'm sure many don't want the opinion anyway. As I said i dislike even hate some shows now, manybe not the ones someothers do, sooo, i get up and go have a dog and a drink and maybe even a chuckle on some throwback shows.Booing, NEVER........there is NO justification.

• Like 5

Booing, NEVER........there is NO justification.

This.

• Like 3

so glad you read. I didn't say either was right. and no, in my movie theater, I was laughing cause I predicted DCP would explode.

And yet you continue to speak out against GH. Booing was wrong. The end. Who cares what GH did; the booing is wrong, the end.

• Like 2

I think people take drum corps WAY too seriously. Members can take rivalries too seriously, fans take rules/design trends too seriously, staff & designers can take competition too seriously. At the end of the day, we boo people or corps, give dissertations on why a show design is superior to others, and stay awake at night trying to think of a way to squeeze a few more tenths out of a show to beat a rival. When there were full retreats on a nightly basis we had 'retreat games' where members messed with other members, damaged equipment, sometimes fought, all over a few centimeters of a track or football field. Drum corps have literally gotten into fights over people breaking rank, staff members have embarrassed and outright abused members over mistakes, and screaming/insult matches have transpired at critique. All over 15 minute marching band shows!

Yet, I guess I wouldn't necessarily call any of that "hatred." Maybe way misguided passion at times, but not hatred.