Best Sound?

Crown has consistently been the corps that makes me think, this is what a drum corps should sound like

Especially in recent years, I agree.

I still love that BD sound, too.

• Like 1

I am not a big fan of the Blue Devils, but last year their brass was phenomenal.

They were so in tune, it was just sick. Even at the Atlanta regional, I remember the one guy sitting next to me muttered, while the Blue Devils were finishing their closer, "These guys are just on a totally different level."

And that about summed it up for me. Not a fan of their visual program last year by a LONG shot...the mirrors really didn't impress me much...but their sound...man...they are good, and that's why they won the title.

Phantom had a lot of tuning problems, but still gave me shivers at times.

I would rather a corps sacrifice a little bit of volume to produce a cleaner, more in-tune sound.

Overblowing it and all is exciting, yeah, drum corps can never be to loud, but if it's out of tune, I'll cringe.

• Like 2

I've always been a fan of Blue Devils sound. I've been a big fan of Madison's sound - especially in

the 70s through the mid-90s....and then again 2010,2011, and beyond!

Phantom and Santa Clara have always had classic deep rich sound that I love. I became

a serious fan of Crown's sound back in 2007. I like what The Cavaliers have done since

the early 2000s with their ensemble sound. Oh, and back in the 80s, I loved Suncoast Sound's sound!

It seems to me sometimes the coats are awesome, but the sound seems to be forced and too aggressive at times. I loved in '08 when they blasted horns and then sang. Still one of my favorite moments in drum corps history. But then it seems they'd ruin some pieces with their blasting sound. Dont get me wrong i love getting blasted once in awhile, but I prefer crown's blend for sure.

I'm going to take this thread to mean Best "Overall" sound.

1 (tie). Cadets and Cavaliers. Each have their own style, but their talent (writing and performance) between horns, drums and pit is outstanding.

3. Phantom. VERY nice blend between horns, drums and pit. A couple issues every year but nothing too major.

4. Bluecoats. A very consistant corps as of late. Talented musicians across the board.

5. Crown. AMAZING hornline, but a drum book that repeats itself (within one show and also year to year) and a pit that seems set out to destroy their instruments through pounding.

• Like 1

I am not a big fan of the Blue Devils, but last year their brass was phenomenal.

They were so in tune, it was just sick. Even at the Atlanta regional, I remember the one guy sitting next to me muttered, while the Blue Devils were finishing their closer, "These guys are just on a totally different level."

And that about summed it up for me. Not a fan of their visual program last year by a LONG shot...the mirrors really didn't impress me much...but their sound...man...they are good, and that's why they won the title.

Phantom had a lot of tuning problems, but still gave me shivers at times.

I would rather a corps sacrifice a little bit of volume to produce a cleaner, more in-tune sound.

Overblowing it and all is exciting, yeah, drum corps can never be to loud, but if it's out of tune, I'll cringe.

You're absolutely right on the Blue Devils. Their horns were fantastic. And I personally liked the mirrors. It's very creative, and they put it to good use. BUT, it seems that they designed the show around the mirrors too much, when it should be designed around the music. I could be way off, but that's what it seems like to me.

One of the most underrated horn lines, The Cavaliers, and i'm not really saying that because i'm a fan of them, I just think they have one of the strongest horn lines in DCI. I recently was watching a video of them at the start of the 2010 season and, well,........ yeah..... needed a lot of work (not saying that the other corps didn't need work but if you compared them, well the green machine at the time really wasn't up to par with corps like Crown and Cadets). But ya'll have to admit they really pulled it through and finished extremely strong and sounded great at Finals, it was a well deserved 2nd place finish.

For a consistent great sounding corps, my vote goes to Phantom Regiment. No doubt about it, they have a great sounding horn line every season. Lots and lots of great sounds from them each season. Recent great sounding, my vote will go to Crown (self explanatory). Also I have to mention BD too, they usually have great GREAT horn lines, but in general every corps have great horn lines. I can't wait till the season starts!

Edited by Hook'emCavies

Best sound... its easy to weed out the corps that are not in the "sounds amazing" category.

I will say that the two best sounding hornlines are Crown and PR. If Crown played the literature that PR played it would be game over. But their arrangements are more progressive and less classical. They did extremely well with Mahler last year though.

The best hornlines are taught (mostly) by Star of Indiana/Blast alumni. Madison will be improving drastically as long as Brad Green is there. He has made the same improvements for BK, SCV, and before Madison, the Blue Stars.

So I guess this is my top list.

1.Carolina Crown

2.Phantom Regiment

3.Blue Coats

4.Blue Stars

5.SCV

6.Madison Scouts

7.Blue Devils (no round sound)

8.Blue Knights

• Like 3

Crown - there is a balance and softness that the hornline achieves that is almost spiritual.

I would have picked Phantom but lately their Buicks are starting to sound a bit more like Kias or Hyundais. I miss the King horns.

As for percussion - I have no understanding of what makes a good percussion line. It's honestly the only DC section that I can't offer an opinion on.

Edited by LincolnV

One of the most underrated horn lines, The Cavaliers, and i'm not really saying that because i'm a fan of them, I just think they have one of the strongest horn lines in DCI. I recently was watching a video of them at the start of the 2010 season and, well,........ yeah..... needed a lot of work (not saying that the other corps didn't need work but if you compared them, well the green machine at the time really wasn't up to par with corps like Crown and Cadets). But ya'll have to admit they really pulled it through and finished extremely strong and sounded great at Finals, it was a well deserved 2nd place finish.

For a consistent great sounding corps, my vote goes to Phantom Regiment. No doubt about it, they have a great sounding horn line every season. Lots and lots of great sounds from them each season. Recent great sounding, my vote will go to Crown (self explanatory). Also I have to mention BD too, they usually have great GREAT horn lines, but in general every corps have great horn lines. I can't wait till the season starts!

"Cavaliers"..."underrated?" Does...not...compute. Nothing about the Cavaliers is underrated even though the bando scene has moved on to Crown.

Blue Knights - now there's a REAL underrated hornline.