Best Sound?

"Cavaliers"..."underrated?" Does...not...compute. Nothing about the Cavaliers is underrated even though the bando scene has moved on to Crown.

Blue Knights - now there's a REAL underrated hornline.

I mean in the last top 5 and previous top 5's but yes BK does have a great horn line

I think that the Bluecoats consistently have my favorite sounding hornline, along with an always entertaining and challenging book.

Crown.

When it comes to brass, different corps are going for different textures in sound, be it because of their show design, or thats how they always want to sound. So as far as who is executing exactly what they want to sound like, would be the symphonic sounds coming out of Crowns horns. Historically I would say BD has to have the best edgy sort of sound, but even they havent had the best execution of what they want to sound like. Another name I have to throw out is Regiment, although last year was not their strongest, they are headin the right direction. Madison of course last year did a great job at what they were trying to execute, which correct me if I am wrong, was to be loud. Bluecoats of course have an awesome bottom end. BK has a rich sound, and Stars have done a pretty darn good job getting the sound that they wanted for the past two years with two very different styles of shows. So as far as execution of getting the sound that I dont necissarily like, but its the sound they are going for:

1)Crown

2)Bluecoats

3)Madison

4)Regiment

5)Blue Stars

6)BK

7)BD

8)SCV/Cadets

and there is my TOC event based on execution of sound. :tongue:

and there is my TOC event based on execution of sound. :tongue:

Bahahahaha.

I think you articulated it very well. It's definitely a matter of how a corps achieves what it's going for. You've gotta keep sound in context of style, as style is really just a matter of taste.

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but as of recent, Crown's hornline.

There isn't even any comparison to that sound for me.

I'm with you. I've said Crown has had the best sound for the last 3 years.

Aside from Crown I like Scouts as well, I just wish they would ditch the electronic tuba and let the real Contras (Tubas) play.

In my opinion, too many top placing corps are rewarded for being top heavy in sound. The cavaliers (last 5 years), cadets (last decade), and blue devils (always) have been lacking the true balanced sound. Their arrangements and strengths rarely lend themselves to a full and balanced symphonic sound. The thing is that technically speaking, these hornlines usually have the better musicians. They sound great in warm ups with flashy space chords and articulation exercises but the talent doesn't manifest itself as a balanced brass ensemble. But I can't blame the BD hornline for lacking a balanced sound when the designers have the tubas music read "tacet" for 6 minutes of the show. ... And they won best brass?...

*rant over

• Like 1

In my opinion, too many top placing corps are rewarded for being top heavy in sound. The cavaliers (last 5 years), cadets (last decade), and blue devils (always) have been lacking the true balanced sound. Their arrangements and strengths rarely lend themselves to a full and balanced symphonic sound. The thing is that technically speaking, these hornlines usually have the better musicians. They sound great in warm ups with flashy space chords and articulation exercises but the talent doesn't manifest itself as a balanced brass ensemble. But I can't blame the BD hornline for lacking a balanced sound when the designers have the tubas music read "tacet" for 6 minutes of the show. ... And they won best brass?...

*rant over

They were clean, I don't think anyone could argue that. And that's just the sound some corps go for.

I've actually thought that BD's low brass has been coming out more and more every year though. Especially 2010. It seems like the high brass was always behind the low brass in the drill, which is why I think that happened as much as it did last year.

Edited by Noname