Season opening dates in TX

The two shows in Texas that kick off the season on the first weekend are NOT G8/TOC shows. The first TOC show is in Rockford, IL in mid-July.

How these 2 Texas shows are normal drum corps shows:

There is no "extra content".

They are run by DCI.

The money goes to DCI - to support programs for all the corps, not just 7 or 8.

They will have normal judging panels using DCI's standard judging system.

They are "just drum corps shows" with killer line-ups.

How they differ from normal drum corps shows:

A text voting component has been added to gauge audience reaction. (But it neither replaces or augments the judges scores.)

The shows are being recorded and one of them is being broadcast to the rest of the country in movie theaters on Monday night.

The judges scores from Saturday and Sunday are being held until Monday night.

This is the first time that I can remember when all of the most competitively successful units from prior years go head to head at the start of the season.

Why I would buy a ticket if I was within driving distance of these Texas events:

All these corps are head to head using the same judges - 2 different panels for the two nights.

No "West Coast inflation".

Can anyone #2 - #8 knock off last year's #1 right out of the gate and set the tone for the 2011 season?

What will #2 - #8 do to try to make that happen? Be more prepared than they've ever been? Cleaner? More "entertaining"?

Will #1 be extra prepared to make sure that doesn't happen?

I don't think I can make it to Texas but I know I will be in a movie theater. This could be good.

• Like 2

I know the story... the G8, etc..

All that crap aside, anyone else think it kind of funny the season is opening with 2 shows deep in the heart of Texas, Ft. Worth and Austin, and none of the 4 DCI corps in the state of Texas are in either of those shows?

Instead they are dragging corps in from Cali and SC.

And I know the what the motivation is for these shows.. but wouldn't Crossmen, Revo, Forte or Genesis benefit from being tagged onto the front of these shows or at least associated with them. Hell they are in their home state..

(Yeah it's Wed and I'm bored at work :rolleyes: )

1) No, it's not 'funny,' or odd or whatever. Any show host can decide any line-up they want.

2) If Crossmen, Revo, Forte, or Genesis what to have a big show, by all means they can organize their own show and invite whomever they want to.

3) you assume Crossmen, Revo, Forte, or Genesis are 1) wanting to do this show and 2) ready to do this show.

There are PLENTY of shows on the schedule for all corps to perform in; if corps want a performance opportunity close to home to perform in, they can certainly organize and host their own show.

I don't think I can make it to Texas but I know I will be in a movie theater. This could be good.

Bob, given all of the variables (which you spelled out well enough), I don't think there's any way that these early shows could NOT be good! Even if the corps finish in the same placement as last season, the fans will be seeing top quality corps and a great night of drum corps!

• Like 1

did they decide how TOC shows are being judged yet?

Its being judged just like any other show, but they added a fan caption where you vote for which corps was your favorite in and to be honest I don't have text so I can't vote, do ya'll think they might let us call instead of text?

Its being judged just like any other show, but they added a fan caption where you vote for which corps was your favorite in and to be honest I don't have text so I can't vote, do ya'll think they might let us call instead of text?

does this fan caption count toward the score?

pretty sure crown will win the fan caption at every show no matter what anybody's show is like :tongue:

Any word about performance order? Nothing listed on the schedule page but it's *got* to be set already...

I would think the order would be the reverse of the finals in Indy last August.

Something like:

Blue Stars

Santa Clara Vanguard

Phantom Regiment

Cadets

Carolina Crown

Bluecoats

Cavaliers

Blue Devils

Then the next night would be the reverse order of how they finished in Saginaw.