Troopers bus involved in accident this morning

Thankfully there seems to be no serious injuries. My prayers are to the bus driver who seems to be the worst off. I hope that the corps can rebound from this situation and go forward into the season.

I remember that in 1979 the Troopers had another serious situation between tours. There was a large party at a color guard member's house where a large, second-story, porch collapsed under the weight of about half the corps. Three or so individuals were temporarily trapped under the collapsed porch, but, no one was seriously hurt. Mr. Jones, who was also at the gathering, showed up the next morning intent on cancelling the morning rehearsal, but, no only did the entire corp show up (with the exception of the injured individuals), we all showed up early. This was most definately the catalyst which helped push that year's group to the fantastic prelim performance and upset placement into finals. I hope that everyone is OK and will use this incident to grow closer together and make this a truely memorable Year!

Salutes from a 79er! :thumbup::worthy:

It would be nice if whoever wrote that article did ANY research at all. High school students on their way to a band competition? This is why drum corps will never be popular among the mainstream - because people are way too lazy to actually look it up and decide to just assume that it's all "band."

Not sure that really matters here.

• Like 4

Whew, very glad it was not worse.

Go get 'em Troopers.

• Like 1

Not sure that really matters here.

I'm with you on this. It doesn't matter in this case. All that matters is that everyone is okay. I don't care if we're referred to as a quilting society as long as I know we're all safe and sound.

• Like 7

I'm with you on this. It doesn't matter in this case. All that matters is that everyone is okay. I don't care if we're referred to as a quilting society as long as I know we're all safe and sound.

Agreed. Safety of others and their well being before worrying about being called a band.

• Like 2

I don't care.

Yeah, definitely not the right time to bring up the corps v. band thing.

I'm just glad everyone is safe. Prayers to the bus driver for a speedy recovery.

• Like 4

I have a feeling DOT is going to be at more than just 1 or 2 competition sites this summer because of this.....tires are supposed to be checked out to make sure they are in good condition. Of course, things happen and tires do blow, but all the same, we have to be careful out there.

I know for a fact that the tour bus drivers like to go 70-75mph down the highways - our RVs can't keep up with them, neither can my semi truck. Well, this truck isn't governed, but I still keep it set at between 65-68. I think the buses should be governed at 70mph, especially with all those kids on board.

I hope the rest of the season goes smoothly and safely.

And bear in mind, as I'm sure you're aware, drum corps buses are generally heavier than your typical tour bus...... every kid on board with all of their tour gear stuffed in the bays and overheads...... you get a drum corps bus trying to make time going downhill and a tire blowing at just the wrong time could have been far, far worse than this accident.

One other sidebar - coming from someone who drove a number of drum corps buses when more corps owned their own buses, it always seemed to me that the combination of more heavily loaded buses running at highway speeds on I-80 tended to cause more blowouts at the higher altitudes in Nebraska, Wyoming, and on to Donner Pass. Yes, western Iowa is not exactly what I would consider 'suspect territory' BUT having just come from the more western states....

Let's just say that problems with a corps' vehicles tend to make themselves known during the rigors of tour. I hope that the Troopers and all other corps will not suffer any accidents this serious for the remainder of the saeason.

Edited by notelvis

from fbTroopers Drum & Bugle CorpsUPDATE: All kids and driver have been released from the hospitals and are being gathered by our other bus and being taken to housing site. We will be in contact when we get more information.

Fantastic news.