Troopers bus involved in accident this morning

Hi All,

First thank you for all your well wishes for the Troopers. The response from everyone today shows us the scope of how incredible our drum corps community really is.

Currently, all corps members that were sent to 4 different hospitals are being released and collected. We are incredibly lucky and thankful to not have any more than bumps and bruises to our marching members.

As for the members, as one can imagine, they are a little shaken up. However, after speaking with a few of them, it is clear that the fire within the corps is burning hotter than ever to be great.They are an incredible bunch of people and I am thrilled to be working with them.

The plan for today?

We are going to have an easy afternoon yoga block and enjoy being together as a family. As for rehearsal, we'll let the members decide, but I think I know what they will want to do.

So far I think insurance will probably cover most of this. But, if you feel compelled to help or volunteer in anyway we could always use your support. If you are not able to physically or finacially help us out, you could always take a second and vote for us in the Pepsi Refresh contest. Every little things helps.

I'll post a follow up tomorrow.

Thanks again from everyone at the Troopers,

Sincerely,

Kyle Thompson

Brass Caption Supervisor

Edited by KyleThompson
  • Like 5

Hi All,

First thank you for all you well wishes for the Troopers. The response from everyone today shows us the scope of how incredible our drum corps community really is.

Currently, all corps members that were sent to 4 different hospitals are being released and collected. We are incredibly lucky and thankful to not have any more than bumps and bruises to our marching members.

As for the members, as one can imagine, they are a little shaken up. However, after speaking with a few of them, it is clear that the fire within the corps is burning hotter than ever to be great.They are an incredible bunch of people and I am thrilled to be working with them.

The plan for today?

We are going to have an easy afternoon yoga block and enjoy being together as a family. As for rehearsal, we'll let the members decide, but I think I know what they will want to do.

So far I think insurance will probably cover most of this. But, if you feel compelled to help or volunteer in anyway we could always use your support. If you are not able to physically or finacially help us out, you could always take a second and vote for us in the Pepsi Refresh contest. Every little things helps.

Sincerely,

Kyle Thompson

Brass Caption Supervisor

THATS FANTASTIC!!! :thumbup: Thoughts and prayers are going out to ya'll this season!

Hi All,

First thank you for all you well wishes for the Troopers. The response from everyone today shows us the scope of how incredible our drum corps community really is.

The plan for today?

Sincerely,

Kyle Thompson

Brass Caption Supervisor

:thumbup: Wonderful news! Prayers really do work.

Hi All,

The plan for today?

Sincerely,

Kyle Thompson

Brass Caption Supervisor

We all appreciate the updates Kyle. I think it is nothing short of a miracle that no one was seriously injured after seeing the photos. We'll definitely be sending a donation your way. I wish we were closer, we would come in and help. Our prayers are with the Troopers family. Hopefully the town of Greenfield will take good care of you guys.

It would be nice if whoever wrote that article did ANY research at all. High school students on their way to a band competition? This is why drum corps will never be popular among the mainstream - because people are way too lazy to actually look it up and decide to just assume that it's all "band."

I agree with this. As a journalist, I'm pretty careful about details. Even without a background in drum corps, I believe this is something that's easily understood (after all, a journalist's job is to cover a wide variety of topics that don't necessarily come from his/her own background). I'm sure that at some point, someone with the corps said to the reporter, "No, it's not a marching band; it's a bit different." At which point, I would've paused and said, "OK, explain the difference to me." Then I would have included a short paragraph along the lines of, "The Troopers are a drum corps, similar to a marching band except that the instrumentation consists of brass and percussion, no woodwinds, along with a color guard section of flags, rifles and sabers." (And then I would've referred to the corps traveling to a drum corps contest, etc.) It's just lazy reporting, and there's too much of that.

But enough on that topic. I'm relieved that everyone is OK, and no one was seriously injured. That's the most important thing!

Edited by byline
  • Like 1

I got a pit in my stomach when I first read the headlines earlier today, but I am extremely glad to hear that everyone ended up being alright. Best of luck to everyone in the Troopers organization at recovering from this incident.

• Like 1

Sue - it's easy to dismiss this as lazy reporting but suppose it's something even worse than that. Suppose the reporter sort of grasped the distinction but decided that that stations' viewing audience was not 'sharp' enough to 'get it' and decided to 'dumb the report' down for them.

THAT'S FRIGHTENING.

Beyond that, I'm glad to hear that the kids are released and that the Troopers are getting back to business. I'm hearing good things about them this early season and can't wait to see the Troopers for myself this summer.

• Like 2

Here's another kind of Trooper, from the Iowa Highway Patrol, describing the accident. Sure, he says band, too, but also says corps. This is from KETV in Omaha.

KETV accident interview, Troopers

I like the "World Reknowned" comment!

I suspect the bus comnpany's insurance will cover this. It shouldn't be charged to the corps. That's why we charter now. Also, there's another report on the KETV website about the bus company's safety record.

Garry in Vegas

So relieved to hear that everyone is safe. Best of luck to America's Corps!