Why do you love DCI?

1) It's powerful on a very primal level.

2) It changed my life and will continue to change others' lives as well.

Simple as that!

Very well said! I agree! Drum corps is a life-changing experience. Whether you are a marching member, a staff member, a parent, a volunteer, or a fan who sees more than one show a year, Drum Corps and it's people, will change your life......for the better!

Because of my involvement in Drum Corps and it's effect on my attitude, I changed from a kid who was headed for jail at the age of 17, to a member of a precision marching music group, to a member of the US Navy, to a member of a top-12 DCI Corps, to a Power Plant operator, to an Honors student, to a Tutor, and to a Math Teacher! Drum Corps changed me and my life....for the better!

• Like 3

Very well said! I agree! Drum corps is a life-changing experience. Whether you are a marching member, a staff member, a parent, a volunteer, or a fan who sees more than one show a year, Drum Corps and it's people, will change your life......for the better!

Because of my involvement in Drum Corps and it's effect on my attitude, I changed from a kid who was headed for jail at the age of 17, to a member of a precision marching music group, to a member of the US Navy, to a member of a top-12 DCI Corps, to a Power Plant operator, to an Honors student, to a Tutor, and to a Math Teacher! Drum Corps changed me and my life....for the better!

That's Amazing! God bless you sir!

I absolutely love DCI because of all the thousands of hours of enjoyment I have had. The thrill of going to live shows every year, sometimes up to 20 shows in a summer, the wonderful hours spent at rehearsals, and all the hours we spend listening to cds in the car, and watching the shows on DVD/video. And after all the selfish things I have just mentioned, I love the comradery between corps and people involved, and nothing is more exciting than watching the smiles on the young members after they finish a rehearsal or finish a show, knowing they worked their tails off, and performed to the best of their ability.

That, and it's loud as all get out!

:laughing::bigsmile:

Loud? You really think it's loud? Well maybe as compared to most high school and some of the smaller and medium sized college bands, but you kids don't know what really LOUD is.

• Like 1

:laughing::bigsmile:

Loud? You really think it's loud? Well maybe as compared to most high school and some of the smaller and medium sized college bands, but you kids don't know what really LOUD is.

YES LOUD!

Do you know how loud a jet is as it takes off from O'Hare Airport?

We used to have a show at the High School in Des Plaines, IL.

The takeoffs were often RIGHT OVER the field DURING the drum corps show.

Certain parts of Cavies, Scouts and Phantom's shows (and other corps) COULD drown out that noise!

THEY WERE LOUD, yet still in tune and in step.....and the crowd would go wild!

I'm sure, poster, you are referring to your LSU band, which is loud and proud - YES, but does not compete at this level and does not have to do that program over and over often several times a week at venues that range from half mowed pastures to multi million dollar stadiums.

Heck, there has even been LOUD performances at Ames Stadium in Michigan City, where the corps drown out the old freight train that always runs next to the stadium sometime during the drum corps show.......and it will happen again this year.

And THAT is one of the reasons I LOVE DCI - hearing the crowd respond to the corps, especially when an outside distraction is trying to ruin their performance!!!

• Like 1

Is it wrong to love it in part because it's something I consider mine and only mine? My family and friends appreciate it, but they aren't willing to watch it if I don't ask them to. It may sound greedy, but it's something in my life that I can participate in by myself without having anyone else ruin it for me. It's an escape.

It's also balls-to-the-wall loud. Well, it used to be. The power of an 80-member brassline is sublime.

I really hate to rain on everyone else's parade but I LIKE drum corps. I fell out of love about ten years ago.

Speaking for myself, you didn't rain on my parade. I'm glad you're still here - apparently still feeling a connection. It's all good in my book!

... I love DCI because it flies in the face of stereotypes, both of "adolescents" and of "marching band." ...

Hoping Terri sits near me at finals!

One of the great things about drum corps is how a quirky combination of military, movement, youth and music makes a band geek into something glorious and even cool. Not glorious in the Super Bowl/Olympics fashion. Not cool in the Lady Gaga or the Soho sort of way. But glorious and even cool in the sense that marching band can be unpredictably creative and evoke emotions we didn't expect and have a difficult time explaining.

Broadway shows and the New York City Ballet move me too. But they are professionals, and they're equipped logistically and rewarded financially to do so.

Drum corps is something else. It is a rag-tag collection of band geeks putting their hopes and their summer in the hands of another odd-ball assemblage charged with imagination on the one hand and detail on the other. Together, the sum of the bus fumes and sweat is something that only a sliver of their friends could possibly appreciate. So they're investing in each other to create something magical that only people like themselves might see and understand. In that, it is entirely unmodern. It is a geniune counterpoint not only to the stereotype but to society from which it comes and from which it has little in common.

Drum corps is glorious in its unusual beauty. It is glorious as well in the difference it represents in performance and in life.

HH

PS: Those of you who are not here to discuss what you love about drum corps just might consider this isn't the place to share your every thought. Just a thought - something you might consider thinking about rather than typing about.

Edited by glory
  • Like 3

Hoping Terri sits near me at finals!

Awwww that's nice of you! Not sure Indy is in the plans for this summer yet. Still hoping to work it out, though.