Best drill

Phantom 2006 should be mentioned just based on general effect.

This and whoever said "Cadets 98" were two posts where I was like "Yeeeeah!"

I can't think of anything more generally effective than making a pentagram that spans the entire field. :thumbup:

My bad. Interesting that PR went back to Jamey Thompson. I've always thought he did good work. Is Myron writing anywhere this summer?

I don't think he is. If I remember correctly, when phantom regiment announced his resignation, it was because of health reasons. I know for a fact that Myron absolutely loved his experience at Phantom Regiment and the corps/staff loved him, so I have no reason to think it was for any other reason.

I hope the best for Myron, that man is an inspiration wherever he is.

He is, however still consulting for SCV I believe?

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

-Sacktig and the Cadets each year have the most musical and aesthetic approach, imho. I enjoy their form development because it is a fresh perspective yet reminiscent of Zingali.

-Gaines and the Cavaliers have the geometric thing down. His ideas are in a completely different direction than Cadets, yet quite effective at creating motion.

-Leon May at Carolina Crown evolved from the Cadets school of thought (having marched there). A very underestimated performance: look up 2009 Crown; Sensemaya. He belongs in the elite!

-Myron Rosander, currently with Phantom Regiment. IMHO, they moved fantastically more than anybody else last year! Long time drill writer with SCV, he's still got it.

-Pete Weber and the Santa Clara Vanguard. From the lineage of Michael Gaines, I believe, his hornline drill in particular is quite entertaining.

Just a few things...

Myron Rosander isn't currently with Phantom for 2011. Jamey Thompson, a former Cavalier, btw, is the CURRENT drill designer for 2011. Myron Rosander was the designer for 2010.(http://www.regiment....ory.cfm?ID=1046)

Pete Weber would be more a parallel lineage to Michael Gaines. BOTH who would be from the linage of Steve Brubaker.

So, it appears that three current designers are former Cavaliers and from the Brubaker school of though on drill design. May and Sacktig would be of the Zingali school of thought.

thumbup.gif

Brubaker and Zingali still influencing the activity 20+ years after they're gone!

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

it might be due to my age but there are too many drills to compare over the years. who has/had the best? golly! if I had to narrow it down to a few, I'd say the absolute best for their time: Cadets '87, Cavies '95 and Cavies '02. I could probably name a lot more but those are the only ones that stick out as being the most innovative at its time. I'm not a big drill guy - I love the whole package: drill, music, costumes, guard, etc. Drill by itself is great and any corps could do a lot of cool pictures and running their butts off, but when it fits with great music, excellent guard work and costume that compliment the show, it makes everything look that much better and really enhances the experience. My first year marching was 25 years ago this summer (wow!) and I've seen quite an evolution of drill. Many of the most innovative drills from the '80s wouldn't even get a second look now-a-days with the bar being raised so high over the past decade. I can't imagine what it'll be like 25 years from now. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The Cavaliers, The Cadets, and Santa Clara Vanguard. Since their inceptions. What, I think, makes The Cadets and Santa Clara Vanguard so special is the fact that they have made such outstanding innovations to the Drum Corps activity. And The Cavaliers, they just make my jaw drop every time I see them, especially nowadays in the Gaines era. I think they all have amazingly good drill in their own ways. The Cavaliers and their whole geometric thing (I'm huge huge HUGE Michael Gaines fan!), The Cadets and the revolutionary Z-pull (Go Zingali!), and the Vanguard's introduction of the asymmetric drill. All three of them had made exemplary innovations in this activity in the past, and still continue to to this day. I dunno about specific shows or anything, but I'd just say that these guys have had some of the best drill since, like, forever. Go Drum Corps.

• Like 1

Just a few things...

Myron Rosander isn't currently with Phantom for 2011. Jamey Thompson, a former Cavalier, btw, is the CURRENT drill designer for 2011. Myron Rosander was the designer for 2010.(http://www.regiment....ory.cfm?ID=1046)

Pete Weber would be more a parallel lineage to Michael Gaines. BOTH who would be from the linage of Steve Brubaker.

So, it appears that three current designers are former Cavaliers and from the Brubaker school of though on drill design. May and Sacktig would be of the Zingali school of thought.

thumbup.gif

Brubaker and Zingali still influencing the activity 20+ years after they're gone!

he is a former cavalier but his drill design is so different than the gaines/brubaker/weber group. I love the fluidity and organicness (made that word up) of his designs and his use of geometric AND curvillinear.

Brubaker and Zingali are indeed still on the field through other writers, but I also really really appreciate the work of thompson, rosander and jay murphy, because their drill design is very much THEM, their own style (which doesn't take away from gaines, weber, sacktig and may... they are all terrific designers).