Best drill

Jeff Sacktigs 2011 Cadets is one of the finest I have ever seen. Perfect integration of theme, music, and the Cadets style.

According to one of the summer's Field Pass episodes, that was the most difficult show he has ever written (if my memory is accurate). He was basically writing drill for two different corps, and pulling them apart, and then putting them back together. Oh, and don't forget about the snare hole that had to be closed. That was a true nightmare to solve.

The hard work certainly paid off.

While this is back up I'll comment

Phantom 89, 93, 94, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011 are years that stand out. Especially 2006, really a COMPLETE package.

Cavies- Michael Gaines.. yup, 2006 is his best work IMO

Cadets- Such a history of awesome drill. This past year may have been the most creative, and hardest to write. Always effective. Love the run and gun at the end of shows. And as said above, I reallllly enjoy 93, gutsy, fun, CHALLENGING. 98 is so clean. Ending of 2008 saved the show from being a complete embarrassment...

Star- 90-93

SCV- SO MANY YEARS. 99-2004 are all good books. 2004 is one of my favorites. 2003 ending with the cymbal line coming through the middle... such a cool effect. SCV has a great history of drill.

BD- I appreciate the nearly perfect staging. But I find the drill ineffective. I did lke some of their early 2000's drill. 2003 stands out.

Early 90's showed a lot of challenging effective drill. Maybe not as refined as today's drill... but demand was just as up there. And effect would blow the roof off the oil can nowadays. Just the top 3 in 93 alone.

There are so many other good drills over history, this is just some that come to mind.

• Like 2

Here are some of my favorites in year order....

Cadets 87

Star 91

Cavaliers 91

Star 93

Cadets 93

Phantom 93

SCV 97

Cadets 98

Cavaliers 01

Cavaliers 02

Blue Devils 03

SCV 04

Phantom 11

Cadets 11

Other than the genius of Zingali and Brubaker, my favorites were also Gaines and Sacktig. I do think that Jay Murphy is underrated. He may not be exciting but he has continually set standards in staging. To me the most underrated designer though is Jamey Thompson. I absolutely loved his work this past season.

Edited by idel
  • Like 1

There is obviously amazing drill In drum corps, but what corps and year has the best drill?(I will put the good suggestions in micromarching.com and post them.

Gotta put The Cadets 2011 in there somewhere, imo.

Gotta put The Cadets 2011 in there somewhere, imo.

100% The more I watch the show, the more I can't believe it.

I know I'm going to be a little unpopular for this, but I really love Star '93. Zingali had moments of sheer brilliance, but I feel like he was also hampered in his overall design. The '93 show was consistent, and it was clean.

'98 Cadets also comes to mind.

And although they're not known for their drill, '02 Crossmen had some great moments. The opening drill sequence is beyond ######. Definitely not a 9th place corps.

Just because it hasn't been mentioned, but Boston has had some great drill programs... 2000, 2002, 2004, and 2011 come to mind.

I believe that would be Kevin Ford and Brian Murphy.

• Like 1

If I could gather the greatest marchers and players in the world to form an uber corps,

I would get Myron Rosander for the drill.

I love Gaines and Sachtigs programs but there is something special with Rosanders work that resonates with me.

• Like 2

Cavaliers no question but BD has great marching technique. but as an overall picture of marching and drill design....hmmm Cadets have the best of both worlds I suppose.

VK always had the most fun though!