Tuba Wreck

The Cadets had a bad tuba wreck last night . One of them was totaled ! At least the players were not hurt .In my day I saw a Contra get totaled by a rifle. Anybody else ever seen things light this ?

I had my soprano ripped from my fingers and it was sent sailing through the air by the butt of a rifle that was going into a 5 toss. Luckily the horn didn't hit anyone, but it had a nice crease in the bell afterwards. My fingers hurt for days. This was Madison '88.

But did it make national television?

• Like 3

The Cadets had a bad tuba wreck last night . One of them was totaled ! At least the players were not hurt .In my day I saw a Contra get totaled by a rifle. Anybody else ever seen things light this ?

Been on the receiving end myself. In rehearsal my rookie year, flags had a pass through with us. The girl going through started spinning a hair early and the stopper of her flag slammed me in the temple at the exact moment I stepped in a hole in the field. Translation -- me and my contra meet the ground very ungracefully smashing the horn. The worst part of the whole deal was having to break out one of the older horns for a couple weeks while a new one was located. The thing smelled like a toilet and felt like it was filled with some bricks for extra weight. Ahhhh...memories. :tongue:

Paul Collins, who runs the Brass Shoppe mobile repair unit, can tell you some stories.

He says the players learn a drill change, but the instruments don't catch on as fast.

• Like 2

He says the players learn a drill change, but the instruments don't catch on as fast.

:thumbup:

TubaJon needs to reply to this with his story from 2009. But yeah, the 2009 Blue Stars contra line was notorious for breaking their lead pipes and such. They would break from only the snappiest of "horns ups".