wildwood

How were the Raiders?

In a few words, not too shabby for a first show. Much is incomplete especially in the guard but what was presented overall had much to like. Some phasing between brass and percussion, some staging especially with the percussion mid show. Brass had spunk but at time ran out of air so it got a bit thin at times. One person I overheard said he felt there was a lack of a consistent pulse in the percussion section. The audience gave them a great reception. The overall "Blueccentric" program is pretty daring and if all the elements jive it could be highly appealing. It was hard to judge it fairly because there was definite missing elements in the show to add the cohesion and to make the "whole" show make sense. I particularly liked "Blue Rondo a la Turk and Bluette" number which had some nice complex rhythms. Guard show completed is a must to nail more of the visual aspects. Liked the multi-blue CG unis with the hoods though I am not sure the hoods were all that necessary. But hey time will tell. Hope this ansers your question.

If you really want to know, here is the scoop....

We (Cabs), stopped half way through our closer and played the closer at a standstill.

Are we having problem? I would not say that. We are just not completely done with our show...hence the large spread. We also had some timing issues that prevented us from being where we should be. Are these problems? Maybe in some peoples eyes, but NOT in the eyes of the members of the Hawthorne Caballeros!!

Take this for what it's worth....it's a long season, and I guarantee you that by DCA, the Caballero WILL be in the hunt!

Enjoy the rest of the season, and see you all on the 50!

Actually, it is a very short season and playing catch up is much more difficult than in the past. And to come out the first show with an incomplete program IS a problem. For the Cabs to find themselves closer to Carolina Gold and Fusion Corps than to the Bucs is also a problem. Compound this with the fact that there will likely be 2 to 3 corps placing somewhere between the Bucs and Cabs come Bridgeport. Certainly the Cabs will be in the hunt, however I don't think this was their goal for the 2011 season. Anyway, best of luck. DCA needs a competitive Caballeros corp.

Actually, it is a very short season and playing catch up is much more difficult than in the past. And to come out the first show with an incomplete program IS a problem. For the Cabs to find themselves closer to Carolina Gold and Fusion Corps than to the Bucs is also a problem. Compound this with the fact that there will likely be 2 to 3 corps placing somewhere between the Bucs and Cabs come Bridgeport. Certainly the Cabs will be in the hunt, however I don't think this was their goal for the 2011 season. Anyway, best of luck. DCA needs a competitive Caballeros corp.

This isn't the Cabs first rodeo and it would be naive for anyone to think they won't do what ever it takes to be 'right there".

This isn't the Cabs first rodeo and it would be naive for anyone to think they won't do what ever it takes to be 'right there".

I'm not 100% certain, but I feel this is the first time Cabs came to their first show with an incomplete show. Is this true?

Anyway, think of all the times Bush came out with 1/2 a show, and wound up cleaning house come DCA weekend.

Before anyone gets carried away with the predictions, insights, suggestions, etc. Remember that this is the FIRST SHOW. Each corps had members performing with them for the first time. Even though we all enjoy Wildwood because it kicks off the season (and the setting) we all know it's usually the worst performance each corps will put out this season.

I'm sure the Cabs staff knows exactly what stage of the game they are in and have a plan to get the corps where they want to go.

That being said, I though every corps put out a decent performance and it was worth the ticket price. I was really surprised by Fusion.

Let's see what happens in Bridgeport in two weeks and than let the talking begin!

Kind of harsh Vo. I read your post and could see the flames coming lol. Cabs will be ready and competitive shortly. I'm not worried

I did overhear some of their members talking about the end of the show they learned last weekend so I'm guessing they probably just didn't feel it was performance ready so quickly (not that the show is incomplete) If that is the case, give it another weekend of cleaning and rehearsal and let's see what comes out in Bridgeport.

Looking at the historical scores for Wildwood.

2006 Cabs 74.538

2007 Cabs 74.463

2008 Cabs 72.800

2009 Cabs 72.713

2010 Cabs 75.363

Starting to see pattern?

2003 Cabs in Bridgeport score was a 71.275.

2003 Cabs Finals score was a 97.375.

Looking at their history they place in the low to mid 70's every year at their first show. That doesn't necessarily dictate their position for the year. That's called "slotting" and there is no "slotting" in Drum Corps right??

Edited by irishbugle
  • Like 1