The Saginaw Saloon

Did anyone seriously expect to have to wait until Monday to see scores?

I even had my reading glasses neaby.... I was ready.

Sorry, Phirebird (one of my favorite shows), but this is crap.

We played with the same level of difficulty for us as is now the required difficulty level for today's MMs.

After all, aren't we told that the vast majority of today's MM are music majors? We were mostly rag-tag rough when we started in corps. So shouldn't we expect a higher level of difficulty from kids who've haven't put down a horn or pair of sticks or flag in years? We didn't have sponsors paying for equipment back then. There wasn't the staff talent depth back then that there is now.

I don't need rationalizations for why today's MM are musical and physical gods and a BITD corps couldn't compete. It's obvious to those who marched BITD that our stuff was ####-difficult to us, the rag-tags.

But the others here who don't have the experience may begin to accept your tripe as fact and continue this tired argument. It is crap.

I would expect you to be amazed when you're 50 and in the stands, too. It may take that long for you to argue my point for me, but it will happen. We'll agree because you'll change your tune after you age out.

I aged out over a decade ago. Nice try.

• Like 2

Cadets - Well done show, great contrast between the Angels and Demons. The battle scene was one of the best moments of the night. Oh wait, the Amazing Grace ballad was even better. Love this show.

I just listened to Cadets ballad on youtube. I find it absolutely amazing how Jay Bocook could turn a piece I absolutely dislike into something I'm absolutely in love with. Thanks for the review.

Page 38, and not one word about the concession stand.

Was there ice cold lemonade? Whimsical malt cups? Large cups of ice? Did ticketholders skip the hotdogs and popcorn due to the heat?

• Like 3

People who boo the kids on the field rather than confront the staff who created the shows in the first place remind me of self-absorbed little league parents. They're either cowards, thugs or just plain ignorant.

Good job. Hope you were proud of yourself.

Hear, hear! :thumbup: Booing........it's what you do when you're out of ideas!

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

Page 38, and not one word about the concession stand.

Was there ice cold lemonade? Whimsical malt cups? Large cups of ice? Did ticketholders skip the hotdogs and popcorn due to the heat?

Fear not, from all initial reports, INT was Saginaw splendid.

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah. Let's judge a show that's a week earlier than usual, with corps that travelled 2000 miles to be there, in a high wind, threat of storms, and despite what other people have said, I know for a fact BD's show is far from complete, especially the finale. I have it on good authority that there are "many" endings to come, as well as point out the fact that "God Give me Strength" isn't on the field yet. It's fun to talk about, but like spring training, it doesn't mean a lot. I have heard many people (including a good number here) say BD's horns are excellent this year, maybe one of the best lines ever. I'm excited to see and hear everyone- what a fabulous activity to be a part of, even if it's just as a fan, like me. Oh, and Happy father's day to all the drum corps fathers.

Wow. Really? I guess Cadets didn't travel about the same distance as BD...

And it seems that all eight corps are performing their first show at the same time.

And EVERYONE competed in the same weather last night. Heard Crown went to the gate and then back inside twice. The wind was apparently insane from start to finish.

I don't mind you defending BD but don't try to do it like this...

Apparently BD and Cavies are less than complete. Probably means they spent more time on the parts they *do* have complete. Their choice.

Happy Father's Day to all from a drum corps Dad :-)

• Like 3

Haven't seen the show. All my info comes from here, but...thoughts...

Elsa's is one of my favorite memories of PR. I'm going to love hearing it.

Upside-down tenors playing on their heads? OMG. Please. Are we down to that cheese now? Cripes, I saw that hokey stuff from marching bands 35 years ago. I love Cavies, but they hadn't better rely on this type of stuff to sell their show. And let's not induce applause by picking the lowest-hanging fruit - I'd rather see an applause sign. No, I haven't seen the show.

Wind? Storms? Delays? That used to be part of the mystique of drum corps that was a wild card. The way people are complaining about, or using for excuses, the weather, the case for all-indoor drum corps, particularly for the TOC shows, stays strong.

Unfinished shows? At a TOC show? Not acceptable, period. If this group is going to hold themselves out as the "creme" of the activity, then they darn-well better give out a show that's complete and enjoyable - even if it's not their finished product. Imagine all these expected newbies coming to see what all the hype is about, only to sit through 30 seconds of standstill? Granted, a newbie would probably love park and bark (there's a hint there), but it's not really the "creme", is it? And yes, I know it's the first show so notice I didn't say "clean" because I don't expect that. But "complete" should be the bare minimum to gain acceptance in this group, imho.

I can't wait to see them on Monday night...

What?

You are seriously telling me that the corps now have the same level of difficulty that they did twenty years ago? No way. Sorry. You are completely diluted.

I marched BITD (Late 80's, early 90's). The shows then were NOTHING like the shows today. Not even close. Not from a physical demand standpoint, not from the number of charts, not from a harmonic standpoint, and not from an environmental demand standpoint. Not even close. I taught up until the early part of the 2000's and I can tell you that the shows now were closer in physical and musical demand to what they are now, but the complexity in the show designs now is higher / more intricate, and that takes more time to flesh out.

• Like 2

Haven't seen the show. All my info comes from here, but...thoughts...

Elsa's is one of my favorite memories of PR. I'm going to love hearing it.

Upside-down tenors playing on their heads? OMG. Please. Are we down to that cheese now? Cripes, I saw that hokey stuff from marching bands 35 years ago. I love Cavies, but they hadn't better rely on this type of stuff to sell their show. And let's not induce applause by picking the lowest-hanging fruit - I'd rather see an applause sign. No, I haven't seen the show.

Wind? Storms? Delays? That used to be part of the mystique of drum corps that was a wild card. The way people are complaining about, or using for excuses, the weather, the case for all-indoor drum corps, particularly for the TOC shows, stays strong.

Unfinished shows? At a TOC show? Not acceptable, period. If this group is going to hold themselves out as the "creme" of the activity, then they darn-well better give out a show that's complete and enjoyable - even if it's not their finished product. Imagine all these expected newbies coming to see what all the hype is about, only to sit through 30 seconds of standstill? Granted, a newbie would probably love park and bark (there's a hint there), but it's not really the "creme", is it? And yes, I know it's the first show so notice I didn't say "clean" because I don't expect that. But "complete" should be the bare minimum to gain acceptance in this group, imho.

I can't wait to see them on Monday night...

Any excuse to hold their feet to the fire right? Perhaps they just want to make sure they put out the best product, perhaps people have other things going on outside of drum corps which prevents them from writing the entire show in time, who knows. Why is everyone still crying about this? Not everyone is going to be 100% finished by the time tour starts.