Austin Sauna and Suds

I think it would be more interesting to see the shows rated on a scale of 1 to 10, or "did not like it at all....to.....loved it". Someone might like many things about a show, but still place it 6th, 7th, or 8th within the group, overall. It does not mean the show was "hated".

Without an established criteria and guidelines for the fans to be asked to base their vote on, the whole voting thing is ridiculous and meaningless in my opinion.

For example, if I voted for my " favorite " based upon execution, demand, performance, etc... technical skills exhibited in the performance,... this would be a whole different choice than if I based my choice of " favorite " based upon ( say ) pure entertainment and enjoyment of music, visual, theme, ie.. the ability to connect with me on some level with the show, etc.

For example, one criteria used would have me easily choosing the Blue Devils as the most technically profient Corps as my " favorite " last season. They deserved to be judged " the best " last year, imo. But if the criteria I used was " pure entertainment ", the 2010 BD Corps would be nowhere near my first choice then as my " favorite " from last year.

So without giving fans the criteria they should use, then it's like trying to nail jello to a wall with a hammer and nail. It's an absurd thing to think it will work the way we hope, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Well from my standpoint (I was there):

The Cavaliers- EXTREMELY enjoyable show. Lots of drill and a lot of great music. Fans were pumped by the end even with the last 20 seconds being standstill. Standing ovation was well merited.

The Cadets- Great concept of Angels and Demons. Lots of GE. Loved both uniforms on the field and it was easy to follow. Music was just intense. Standing Ovation even before it ended.

Carolina Crown- Being honest, the prelude was cheesy and I didn't like that the front ensemble didn't have uniforms. Looked weird to me. The piano player was cool even though you could barely hear. Drum Majors were fantastic even though there was no head drum major conducting from the 50. Good drill and some good moment.

Phantom Regiment- I honestly did not know what was going on in this show or anything. The music was good but I didn't see any "Juliet" really going on besides just the music and the guard member taking the drum major podium. Good drill but I Didn't enjoy the show.

Blue Stars- I did NOT expect to see what I saw. AMAZING PERFORMANCE! Great drill and GREAT MUSIC. Wasnt boring at all and kept the fan involved, even though a LOT of people (idiots) left after SCV. The little ramp scares me though. I felt someone was going to fall at some point.

BlueCoats- Good music and AWESOME CONTRAS playing the trombone part from Mackeys Trombone Concerto "Harvest" in the closer. Besides that, I thought the Ballad was really really strange and didn't fit.

Blue Devils- Awesome music, not enough movement. Just moved props all over the field and a lot of Park and Blow. No standing ovation. Strangely.

Santa Clara Vanguard- Everyone around me was like "what the hell". show was weird and surprisingly dirty. I know its only the first show but didn't expect this from SCV. The closer was ok. People only really cheered when the cymbal line did the "V".

• Like 2

VOTE FOR SANJAYA!

Probably the best post on the history of DCP.

• Like 1

Just wondering, what would be a neutral site?

Alaska/Canada? Taiwan?

Joking aside, I think neutral is hard to come by since most of the big competitions are in big band-positive areas -- places with good music education, which means places with good marching fanbase to fund a large event, which means places with good instructors teaching those local bands, who are generally connected to drum corps.

"Unbiased" areas would be small shows that don't have any corps affiliation.

Sayyyyyy...liiiike... Kansas City.

:thumbup:

Actually the largest band program in Kansas City is taught by Phantom alums. Drat!

Edited by Stryfe
  • Like 1

Alaska/Canada? Taiwan?

Joking aside, I think neutral is hard to come by since most of the big competitions are in big band-positive areas -- places with good music education, which means places with good marching fanbase to fund a large event, which means places with good instructors teaching those local bands, who are generally connected to drum corps.

"Unbiased" areas would be small shows that don't have any corps affiliation.

Sayyyyyy...liiiike... Kansas City.

:thumbup:

Actually the largest band program in Kansas City is taught by Phantom alums. Drat!

KC would probably have a fairly midwest bias. Cavaliers\Phantom\Madison and more recently Blue Stars (though obviously with it being smaller for about 25 years prior to 04 it hasnt established the fanbases other corps have)

KC would probably have a fairly midwest bias. Cavaliers\Phantom\Madison and more recently Blue Stars (though obviously with it being smaller for about 25 years prior to 04 it hasnt established the fanbases other corps have)

I think if we leaned any direction it would probably toward most of those corps, and I already admitted I was wrong/joking -- bias is everywhere. I'm the only Scout I've met from here, though, nor have I picked up a strong Cavies love anywhere here -- a lot more BD love, actually. Not saying much, since I've only met like four drum corps people here in my three years here, but yeah.

Edited by Stryfe

Ok, sorry to those of you that were following my feed from the show, my i phone died and that was that. Or, maybe the Blue Stars were just that good? Read below and find out!

Thoughts now that I'm home and typing on a computer instead of a phone:

Blue Devils- Definitely a step up in music for me this year over last year. Did the injury bug or stomach bug hit these guys? Only 9 Tubas on the field tonight and the Thunderous Goo from the Pit was compensating in a nauseating manner. :thumbdown: Great Solists tonight, definitely vintage BD! I thought the drumline and pit absolutely just owned the field, impeccable playing. Guard was integrated well and when they used actually equipment were quite impressive. Here's the issue- The Visual side of things is very tame and safe and the use of props in just getting in the way. They do some nice things with the props but they spend so much time manipulating them it takes the flow of the show and completely destroys it. I liked the chairs a few years back and the mirrors was really cool, but this years props are just overdone. With the huge emphasis the other contenders have put into movement I think, if the judges call it right, you'll see a significant drop in placement this year! My placement for them tonight--5th!

Cavaliers- Is anyone using synthesizers better than them? They use effects but don't ruin key moments by covering it up with electronics. Great Hornline, best I've seen of them since 2004 when they had crazy good screamers!! This corps came out and basically said "You wanna win a title this year, you gonna have to come through us!!" Big time show and visual program is just cool. Guard members on stilts and tenors playing upside down- Way Cool. Just great Brass Technique and a phenominal Guard. They're sounding like a dominant drumline already this year. Great Screamers, better than BD, and BDs were good!! My placement- 1st

Bluecoats- These guys also use the electronics very well, and this show is chalked full of great modern literature and fantastic fast pace drill. They have the elements to contend, will they? I think so, they just have no weaknesses and just engage you through intense in your face drum corps. Some similiar elements to last year- sure, the same show- NO WAY!! Great Corps this year! Medalist worthy for sure and a title contender as well- My placement- 4th

Crown- Ok so they mosh pit and crowd surf the piano player to the pit, that's just priceless and what does the paino player do immediately after? Plays Rachmaninov. (spelling sorry) Crown is going to make you go gaga this year because they're mixing rock favorites with classical Russian literature and doing it in a masterful way!! I totally buy it and I think it's brilliant. If this corps doesn't win brass this year I will be shocked- I also am thoroughly impressed with the confidence and playing/writing of the battery- MUCH BETTER- Top Notch even!! Guard stellar and as I said before the Super Human Guard Male needs a Super Hero Title, he's just phenominal!! My placement- 3rd

INT- Very crowded, nothing new, same ole same ole- Stale and cheesy with too much condiment colors!

Cadets- I think this may have been the first time I was looking forward to the Cadets more than the other top contenders. I'm a huge Angels/Ticheli fan and I thought the Cadets and Jay Bocook did a masterful job of not mutilating Angels and yet making it marching/corps friendly. The contrasting unis and drums- way awesome. The hornline and guard picking up silver and gold poles respectively was very cool. the lights flashing off the poles made an etherial effect. Ballad just flat out beautiful- Amazing show and it will contend. Maybe the best drums of the night. My placement- 2nd

Phantom- Texas has always hyped and had a huge love affair with Phantom and with good reason- They're amazing year in and out. Based off the Saginaw reviews I was ready to be wowed, but.... I was not. I get the Juliet theme and I know they'll do more to portray it the farther they go, but this show left me very flat tonight!! Hornline is sounding good, and better than last year, but there is still a presence missing that Crown, Cadets, Bluecoats and Cavies have. Is it the equipment? I think it is, because Phantom stopped having that crazy Power and darkness in the sound after 2008 when they switched. Musically this show is beautiful but there in lies the issue- There is so much energy and fast pace drill and visual intensity in the upper tier corps and Phantom's show does not have that and thus I think they'll not be able to compete with the upper echelon. Drumline writing seems forced and they ram fast notes more thans needed for the style of music played. Don't like that they did not use rifles, I think it may not fit the time period they're portraying but it just bothered me. Nice show, a little underwhelming. My placement- 7th

SCV- Wow the drumline is impeccable and WOW the hornline is way behind right now both musically and visually. I have heard that SCV is notorious for starting slow, but This is an extremely slow start. I saw many times of blatent out of step moments, people running into each other and a lack of a marching style/technique. It was very rough friends and I mean Rough!! I honestly have loved SCV as my second favorite corps for many years and it pains me to say this- I can't remember much about this show because I was so shocked at what i was seeing. The hornline seemed small? Holes? Really think they have their work cut out for them, but it is show 2 and way early. My placement tonight- 8th

Blue Stars- Now that I have a computer in front of me, let me say this-- Blue Stars are top 5 or 6 material this year, no doubt about it!! After Cadets I felt flat watching Phantom and SCV left a bad taste in my mouth but the Blue Stars Owned the Field and Got my attention for the moment they came on the field. The use of the scaffolding is great and the percussion features on it are amazing especially for as far back as they are! Very challenging horn book and the mellos are amazing. Very clean marching technique and drill is high energy. Guard integration well placed and though they had issues tonight with the wind this is a great guard for them. BStars drummline is phenominal and I think will be top 4 or 5 in the end. 16th note passages that pass back and forth were sloppyish, but it is early and that will be a great moment when cleaned up!! Blue stars are for real friends and I think they are gonna be top 6 this season!! My placement tonight- 6th

Overall- Great venue, steep stands made for good visual views from the 16th row where I was and the traffic in and out was easy to deal with. Weather was hot at first but the breeze and the shade of the Press Box made for a very pleasant evening for Drum Corps!! Good Stuff!!

My overall placements tonight

1) Cavaliers

2) Cadets

3) Bluecoats

4) Crown

5) BD

6) Blue Stars

7) Phantom

8) SCV

Good night and good luck to corps as they travel and compete this week. Be safe folks and have a wonderful and competitive summer!!! :thumbup:

Wesley Perkins

BK '97 '98

• Like 6