To have a complet show, or not to have a complete show?

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer a complete show at the first competition?

• Yes, complete show.
    • No, it does not need to be completed.
    • Let them do what they want.

There is much discussion happening over in another thread, as to if a corps should have a complete product at the first show or not. I think this poll is fairly straight forward. And for the sake of uniformity, lets just say that there is a difference between a "finals week complete" show, which includes all the extra fun add ons, and a "june/july complete show" which is not what you may see on the dvd, but its the show they put on most of the season minus a few tweaks here and there. Any thing else anyone can think of to clear up this poll?

Edited by TubaJon

There are penalties for corps who do not meet the allotted time limit. However a corps chooses to avoid receiving these penalties is up to them. That or they accept the penalties.

There is much discussion happening over in another thread, as to if a corps should have a complete product at the first show or not. I think this poll is fairly straight forward. And for the sake of uniformity, lets just say that there is a difference between a "finals week complete" show, which includes all the extra fun add ons, and a "june/july complete show" which is not what you may see on the dvd, but its the show they put on most of the season minus a few tweaks here and there. Any thing else anyone can think of to clear up this poll?

I certainly get that corps need to utilize the season to develop a program and the end goal in mind is championships. The stratified learning environment of drum corps is one of the fundamental natures of the activity: play music; mark time and play; march and air and valve; march and play. To say that a corps should perform full show, completely filled in, and only expect to clean for the season is not performance reality.

As an audience member, however, it'd be a bummer to have half of the teams obviously incomplete on a night I'd been hyping. As many of us are vets of either drum corps or marching band, I think a level of understanding is just part of being a fan.

What's interesting is how some teams come in incomplete but manage to still be extremely successful, both in score and crowd appreciation. I was not at the show, but spectators said that Cavaliers stopped for the last few seconds of their program and were voted fan favorite. We know that Green Machine is among the highest in quality for each second they are on the field. Evidence to the contrary that a show does not need to be complete to retain the crowd?

There are penalties for corps who do not meet the allotted time limit. However a corps chooses to avoid receiving these penalties is up to them. That or they accept the penalties.

But isn't time & penalty waived for the first handful of shows? I know Cadets are notorious for coming in with more than 11:30 of music and then shaving down just in time for that first T&P show. :tongue:

I was not at the show, but spectators said that Cavaliers stopped for the last few seconds of their program and were voted fan favorite. We know that Green Machine is among the highest in quality for each second they are on the field. Evidence to the contrary that a show does not need to be complete to retain the crowd?

I would place very little confidence in the vote tallies at these two shows. Cavies (evidenced by their tweets) were obviously prepared to exploit the holes in the system and get votes from non-attendees. DCI obviously was not reading DCP or they would have anticipated such antics.

I see what you did with the title of this thread :winky:

Instead of having just the fan voting, DCI should've also judged the corps. I wonder how those World Class corps felt after these two shows; to bring the top eight corps together and have fans judge them!? I know the Blue Devils are flipping out right about now

Instead of having just the fan voting, DCI should've also judged the corps. I wonder how those World Class corps felt after these two shows; to bring the top eight corps together and have fans judge them!? I know the Blue Devils are flipping out right about now

They were judged. The results will be announced in the DCI Theater event.

actually from a few people i have heard from they really aren't