New year, New theme

OK

What if DCI choose the theme of the corps shows for a year?

What if there was a specific artist or genre of music that the corps had to choose from?

For an example, say each corps had to create their repertoire based on the composer Aaron Copland, each corps would have to choose the pieces they want to play and piece them together.

Another example, say the theme is a waltz or a march. each corps would then have to base the theme of their show from a waltz or a march.

Would this bring the competitive side out more or would it just make things more hectic?

Would it level the playing field or will certain corps shine better than the others?

Please be open minded and have fun.

OK

What if DCI choose the theme of the corps shows for a year?

What if there was a specific artist or genre of music that the corps had to choose from?

For an example, say each corps had to create their repertoire based on the composer Aaron Copland, each corps would have to choose the pieces they want to play and piece them together.

Another example, say the theme is a waltz or a march. each corps would then have to base the theme of their show from a waltz or a march.

Would this bring the competitive side out more or would it just make things more hectic?

Would it level the playing field or will certain corps shine better than the others?

Please be open minded and have fun.

Even better,

What if the fans got to vote on the musical theme for the year?

Creativity comes from constraint, not freedom.

Still, there are too many logistical hurdles to overcome in order for this idea to become a reality. It would certainly make things interesting!

Creativity comes from constraint, not freedom.

Still, there are too many logistical hurdles to overcome in order for this idea to become a reality. It would certainly make things interesting!

we may as well go back to VFW and Legion rules :thumbdown: I see what your saying as far as constraints BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT ughhhhhhh.............lol JMO

Right, I see where you are all coming from.

I wouldn't consider that a constraint, but more of a challenge to the corps to out perform the 12 other corps that are playing the same theme! I'm pretty sure we have witnessed multiple corps playing the same show during the same year and neither corps got the same results. I think it will be a challenge to the design teams and staff(s) to come up with the show that stands out from the others. Just think of it; Blue Devils, Phantom, and Cavaliers playing the same show, each of those corps has a different style; BD in your face, Cavies all over the place, and PR with the epicness. There is no way the 12 corps will look or even sound the same.

Right, I see where you are all coming from.

I wouldn't consider that a constraint, but more of a challenge to the corps to out perform the 12 other corps that are playing the same theme! I'm pretty sure we have witnessed multiple corps playing the same show during the same year and neither corps got the same results. I think it will be a challenge to the design teams and staff(s) to come up with the show that stands out from the others. Just think of it; Blue Devils, Phantom, and Cavaliers playing the same show, each of those corps has a different style; BD in your face, Cavies all over the place, and PR with the epicness. There is no way the 12 corps will look or even sound the same.

I was forced to judge a rhythmic gymnastics event once.. Same theory............same music..............OMG I wanted to shoot myself 20 min. into it........lol...But i hear what youre saying

Edited by GUARDLING

Hey that is completely different, I wouldn't be able to do that even if the competition had a variety of (shows?).

Now what if for these yearly events, for the corps that out performed the rest, they received xxxxxx amount of money for members tuition!?

It wouldn't be such a drag then, and I bet the semi finalist and quarter finalist would knock off the usual top 12 !!!

Hey that is completely different, I wouldn't be able to do that even if the competition had a variety of (shows?).

Now what if for these yearly events, for the corps that out performed the rest, they received xxxxxx amount of money for members tuition!?

It wouldn't be such a drag then, and I bet the semi finalist and quarter finalist would knock off the usual top 12 !!!

do you really? I think even if corps were to play note for note the same stuff you wuould see the same on top. They are also on top for quality , not just WHAT they do but how they do it. To me anyway, its pretty easy to see a clear difference....Hope I understood what you were saying before my rant...lol

Yeah you nailed it and who knows, this may become the "great debate". I'm full of these ideas and at times they seem random and off the wall, just excuse me.

BUT I have one more thought,

WHAT IF DCI allowed the Alumni corps to compete with the junior corps? The age out rule will still apply for the junior corps, but in order for the alumni corps to compete with the junior corps they will have to be scored on the same criteria, but have to score over a certain limit to qualify for the junior corps competition. Do you think the CorpsVets can knock of The Madison Scouts? . . I don't know!!!