DCI Austin / Round Rock Review

Mike -

I've seen your show reviews before and I have always wanted to respond, so here goes. You give some of the greatest info on all the shows you see! I never feel a bias or lean in any corps direction. Most years you see shows before me because I'm in the midwest and we usually don't see a lot of action until the middle/end of the season as we are so close to Indy. I look for your reviews because I never feel like I'm going to be swayed on anything. You give well rounded assessments and I just wanted you to know, just in case no one else has ever said it - I LOVE your show reviews!!

Thanks so much - I'm headed to the movie theatre after work!

B

Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to type all this up.

Quick comment: I'm pretty sure the Cavaliers are marching 16 tubas this year. There is a part where only 8 are marching though, because the other 8 and the timpani player are holding the tenor players and their drums.

Excellent review! Thanks for taking the time to type all this up.

Quick comment: I'm pretty sure the Cavaliers are marching 16 tubas this year. There is a part where only 8 are marching though, because the other 8 and the timpani player are holding the tenor players and their drums.

Aha - thank you. That must have been when I was counting. :tongue:

Mike

One fun aside - one of Phantom's staff came and sat down in the aisle right next to me. It was interesting to watch the show with him as he clapped very loudly when he thought the crowd should. Often, he was the only one. Note to designers - if you want the crowd to clap, build in a space for them to do so. After a big hit, don't hold out a soft note under it - we're a smart audience - we're not going to clap because we know more music is coming!

Staff members don't clap where "they think the crowd should clap". Staff members mostly clap in sections where they see improvement or feel the vibe of the corps.

The great majority of those staff members, in every corps, are way more concerned with where they see improvement or not and this is the real reason they are clapping.

Staff members will also do this in runthrus when no one is around. It is hard to invest that much time and emotion into a program and not contain yourself when you see positive things happening.

These things apply to almost all corps, not just PR.

• Like 1

Oh, and here is the fan voting results. I'm surprised BD was so low, honestly - I thought the show was fine. Is there a 2010 backlash?

DCI Austin presented by DeMoulin Bros. & Co.

Fan Voting Results

1st: The Cavaliers

2nd: The Cadets

3rd: Carolina Crown

4th: Phantom Regiment

5th: Blue Stars

6th: Bluecoats

7th: Blue Devils

8th: Santa Clara Vanguard

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=ce193f5d-6216-4bfc-9b53-90d4abb43362#ixzz1PrMrC9x9

Mike

The house props were horribly distracting - the poles actually worked quite nicely, but the boxes can go immediately, especially as the big moment at the end when they come together... really looks nothing like a house.

I have no idea why, but I had to laugh at this.

Great review.

Mike,

I so rarely log in anymore -- but I felt I had to jump in and tell you I LOVE your reviews.. well, I mean.. you've always known that.. at least I hope you have always known that.

You strive to be honest without being unnecessarily harsh.. and you don't sugarcoat.

Stef