Can SCV Break into the top 5?

Boy SCV's show is rough right now compared to most of the other 7 I saw tonight.

BUT, I LOVE THE SHOW!

It is aggressive, powerful, and overall beastly. Visceral.

Yes, I think the design is there to break into the top 5. Just another visual masterpiece with incredibly integration and staging for all visual elements.

IF the hornline and battery can master those epic books, this will be my favorite show of the year. No doubt.

It seems like you and I always have the same opinions about shows. SCV was clearly the least prepared (should have placed last), but the show was great. The music, drill, and everything else was wonderful. If the brass can get in gear, I see this show becoming one of the crowd favorites even though everyone hates it now. I don't think the battery will have much of a problem as they're already doing great!

Edited by cmathis
  • Like 2

It's hard to say this early in the season. It sounds like Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, and Crown all have great shows that may be hard to beat in order to be Top 3. Eight out of eight in GE Music & Brass doesn't seem bode well, but scoring sixth in their GE Music rep subcaption (read: design caption) is at least a little encouraging. It's so hard to gauge competitiveness this early in the season with incomplete shows and members still not confident or comfortable performing yet.

I think Top 3 is out of the question for SCV (I may be wrong, but it's looking good for a Cavaliers-BD-Cadets Top 3 battle royale, with maybe Crown in that max). I also think that Bluecoats have the type of show that lends itself well to multiple viewings and will be strong down the stretch (from what I've seen at least). It seems SCV had some problems this weekend with brass, causing their GE Music & Brass scores to not be desirable: it's hard telling if that's an early season thing or indicative of how their season will end up.

Here's hoping they make great strides cleaning & improving, & SCV has a great season!

I agree with this. It's not that Vanguard doesn't have the production to be top 5, but IMHO, they will have to get passed some very solid teams. And by the way, this is a VERY GOOD problem. I feel that the top 12 in general have been strong the last few years. When Glassmen is your 12th place corps, Madison was 10th last year, and there's a 3 or 4 way race for 13th place, these are all wonderful elements of competition that push the corps to be even better. SCV has a package that is very much their roots of "modern" identity. I think this program pulls together much like how last year Bartok baffled people in the middle of the season and impressed at the end.

• Like 1

I'm going to say no, they will not be in the top five.

But, for those of you saying they may fall out of finals, so their horn line is the worst you've heard forever I question your abilities to make that determination.

They are very rough right now and they have a long road to go before it gets good, but I would be surprised if they finished lower than 8th.

This seems to be a continuous problem for the organization the last few years. I'm not sure what is causing this to happen each year. I would have thought Jeff would have made it better before now.

I think the only reason why this discussion is even taking place because of the TOC format of having them compete against the top tier corps right off the bat

Oh, the horror.

I think that SCV has the 3rd best program overall with the Brass book and Visual program outstanding. If they can reach anywhere near their potential, this could easily place 3rd by finals week. I don't see them passing Cadets or Cavaliers, but think 3rd is definitely within the possibility.

• Like 3

I think this question and discussion is funny. Out here in the west coast we have been used to seeing SCV behind in scoring and how complete the show is compared to BD, there have been some exceptions over the last few years, but typically one section or the other is pulling the corps down in scoring. Recently it has been the percussion section or guard. So this year is no exception with the Brass being the weak link. I think the only reason why this discussion is even taking place because of the TOC format of having them compete against the top tier corps right off the bat instead of just the Blue Devils and other WC Corps

With their strong percussion program starting with the Top Percussion score last night, this season may be similar to 1991. SCV ended up placing 4th. They started out the season scoring 63.4 and then 68.9. The staff and everyone knows what needs to improve. The colorguard was ranked 5th. Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but they have a winning section in the drumline and hopefully that energy can spread throughout the corps.

Source - corpsreps.com

June 15,1991 - Concord CA - 63.400

June 21, 1991 - Clovis CA - 68.900

Well, SCV won percussion last night, so that wasn't it!

When I heard their source music I was a bit worried – it sounded like a keyboard study because it was. It bored me after about a minute, sounded like a practice exercise and was written, formatted for a keyboard with a lot of hand over hand technique etc…so it seems odd to give it to a 100 person musical ensemble – sure, the tempo was there and the pit would have plenty to do but to build a show around it ?

I’ve been a huge SCV fan for years and last year, I was struck with the look on the performers face after their finals' run, you could see disappointed and some defiance in their faces by the reception they received from the crowd, which was good, just not baby throwing. I felt badly for the corps and hoped that the staff would give them something a bit more accessible to the masses this year and I don’t think they did. I just don’t see this as being a baby throwing show again.

I'd prefer a bit more 2004, 2005 2009 from them but what ever, I'm a simple cow with simple tastes

Some people loved them last year and will love them this year, I’m sure some went to SCV to march this kind of show, variety is great and I wish SCV all the luck in the world. The season is early, so much can happen, you’re not out of it because you are in SCV

Enjoy the year

Also don't forget that they were 4th in GE Visual at the first show.

• Like 1

I was expecting the worst when I headed to the theater yesterday, but it really wasn't as bad as many led me to believe. Repeat: It's not that bad. Of course this was the theater show and not a live viewing, so you'll have to take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Yes, they have a lot of work ahead of them, and yes, things look a little rough right now but like I said, it's not that bad. I for one enjoyed the program more than the Blue Stars or even Phantom and several people I talked to felt the same way. Their program is a JUGGERNAUT and has the legs, once they put in the work, to pass Phantom and even the Bluecoats. I could see them finishing as high as 3rd and no lower than 7th. All this talk about struggling to make the top 8 or even not making finals?? It's not that bad. They will get better, This is the Santa Clara Vanguard.

• Like 2

I kept thinking throughout the show last night that the percussion section enlisted a hostile take over of the corps and the ensemble was completely off balance. Then again, the percussion was great and the difficulty was set at a high bar...but the hornline, visual, and guard are nowhere near the same caliber. It may be a long summer...I just didn't see glimpses of greatness, but they will hopefully come through in the end. It will be interesting to see what happens when Madison, Blue Knights, Boston, and the Glassmen, et. al. are added to the mix. One of those corps could be headed out of the gate like a freight train and pick several of these top corps off...we shall see!

• Like 1