Can SCV Break into the top 5?

I don't think Texas is any farther from California than it is from Wisconsin, is it?

Its roughly 400 miles more from Cali. States out west are HUGE!

I vividly remember that year that Madison dropped out of the top 12. (02)

This SCV corps is much worse than that Madison corps I watched the entire season.

If they scrape by and stay in the top 12 it is because of their name, their percussion, or they claw their way back into it.

They are that rough. And don't use an edited Theater show as your judge, people.

This is interesting, b/c I really didn't like that Madison show (at the time, it's really not bad to listen to though). I was really looking forward to this year's SCV, and I'm not going to count them out yet. The concept, some of the selections, everything just seemed like a little return to form. I'm still waiting for late 90's, heck, even early 2000's SCV. They come around here and there in different years since then, but they are one of the most inconsistent corps (even if they are one of my favorites).

Oh, and not sure why somebody minus'd you...

So, if you haven't seen the show, you probably have no reason to give an opinion..........

With that said, yes.

Edited by SCVsopAaron

I don't think the show is that bad. It is definitely very tough...and I think they will clean it, but remember that this music is minimalist. It's not designed to rip your face off with a wall of sound. Neither was Star/1993. But Star had a lot more talent than SCV does at the moment.

I would just as soon sit back and enjoy the performances for what they are. Each show is different.

I don't think the show is that bad. It is definitely very tough...and I think they will clean it, but remember that this music is minimalist.

This music is definitely NOT minimalist. Barber? Ligeti? That's some BEEF. Just really really really really really really tough to pull off.

• Like 1

This music is definitely NOT minimalist. Barber? Ligeti? That's some BEEF. Just really really really really really really tough to pull off.

Just agreeing with you here. It bothers me a little when people associate the word "minimalist" with music that is 'different'.

Minimalism is characterized by incredibly long phrases before changing, general monotone dynamics, phasing, repetitive nature, and incredibly long duration. For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjR4QYsa9nE

SCV's show would probably best be described as modern or even post-modern depending on how you look at it.

But that's ok because now people might have learned something! :cool:

the_more_you_know.jpg

I don't think we've ever seen true minimalism in a drum corps show, which is a shame, because it would be incredibly cool! :w00t:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

I like the show a lot. The drums are smokin, the brass is way behind, the guard should be just fine. Here's hoping they catch up, because I feel that if this show becomes any kind of clean, it can start doing some major damage.

• Like 1

I think they'll have a tough time staying in the Top 10. That is the worst brass section I've heard in a long time. I hope they can clean it. I love SCV the corps.

I think it's time for a change in the design department coughcoughpoulancough

• Like 1