Can SCV Break into the top 5?

This is interesting, b/c I really didn't like that Madison show (at the time, it's really not bad to listen to though). I was really looking forward to this year's SCV, and I'm not going to count them out yet. The concept, some of the selections, everything just seemed like a little return to form. I'm still waiting for late 90's, heck, even early 2000's SCV. They come around here and there in different years since then, but they are one of the most inconsistent corps (even if they are one of my favorites).

Oh, and not sure why somebody minus'd you...

I have observed this corps since January and attended the show in Saginaw TX. The return of the shows you mention (as far as brass quality and arrangement) are prior to Key Poulan and will remain an issue until SCV replaces their Brass Arranger, in my opinion.

• Like 2

Can Vanguard break into the top 5, or even the top 3 with the show that they have this year? I've seen clips and lot videos and from what I can tell they have a top 3 drumline, a terrible brass line, and who knows about the guard (from what I hear the wind was terrible in Texas). I've also heard the design for the show has great potential. I personally think that if the brass pulls it together and SCV makes their famous "late season push" that they will be able to break the top 5. Thoughts?

It's hard to say this early in the season. It sounds like Cavaliers, Cadets, Blue Devils, and Crown all have great shows that may be hard to beat in order to be Top 3. Eight out of eight in GE Music & Brass doesn't seem bode well, but scoring sixth in their GE Music rep subcaption (read: design caption) is at least a little encouraging. It's so hard to gauge competitiveness this early in the season with incomplete shows and members still not confident or comfortable performing yet.

I think Top 3 is out of the question for SCV (I may be wrong, but it's looking good for a Cavaliers-BD-Cadets Top 3 battle royale, with maybe Crown in that max). I also think that Bluecoats have the type of show that lends itself well to multiple viewings and will be strong down the stretch (from what I've seen at least). It seems SCV had some problems this weekend with brass, causing their GE Music & Brass scores to not be desirable: it's hard telling if that's an early season thing or indicative of how their season will end up.

Here's hoping they make great strides cleaning & improving, & SCV has a great season!

I think this question and discussion is funny. Out here in the west coast we have been used to seeing SCV behind in scoring and how complete the show is compared to BD, there have been some exceptions over the last few years, but typically one section or the other is pulling the corps down in scoring. Recently it has been the percussion section or guard. So this year is no exception with the Brass being the weak link. I think the only reason why this discussion is even taking place because of the TOC format of having them compete against the top tier corps right off the bat instead of just the Blue Devils and other WC Corps

With their strong percussion program starting with the Top Percussion score last night, this season may be similar to 1991. SCV ended up placing 4th. They started out the season scoring 63.4 and then 68.9. The staff and everyone knows what needs to improve. The colorguard was ranked 5th. Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but they have a winning section in the drumline and hopefully that energy can spread throughout the corps.

Source - corpsreps.com

June 15,1991 - Concord CA - 63.400

June 21, 1991 - Clovis CA - 68.900

Edited by Jeffe77
  • Like 4

Boy SCV's show is rough right now compared to most of the other 7 I saw tonight.

BUT, I LOVE THE SHOW!

It is aggressive, powerful, and overall beastly. Visceral.

Yes, I think the design is there to break into the top 5. Just another visual masterpiece with incredibly integration and staging for all visual elements.

IF the hornline and battery can master those epic books, this will be my favorite show of the year. No doubt.

• Like 4

By DATR I think this show will be on fire. At Walnut and Riverside...with the California crowd and and familiar surroundings..they will begin to hit their stride into DATR. Same with BD..

I had high expectations of it before walking in the theater tonight. I will agree with the almost universal opinion that brass needs work...but there are some brilliant moments for them and it will be amazing in time....

Watching it in the theater, I was seeing some possible shades of late 90's...particularly in the ballad and towards the end of the opener. The sustained chords and battery at the end of the opener were a 98/99 revisited feel to me. I think the drill will match / tell the story of the music as we saw in 09 and 10...but better than those years.

Drums...wow. Ferocious and intense already. I have enjoyed over the years how SCV incorporates battery into drill during solos...ie: 2000 opener...I saw some of that going on tonight..

Overall much room to grow. Prediction: I think they will break top 5 and be a dark horse for finals night.

• Like 4

Simple answer = YES.

More complex answer = It's possible, but it's gonna take better GE show direction and the hornline to play over f in the 5/6 moments they failed to do so in during the weekend shows (among other things). The percussion section is there. The guard will develop as the rest of the show develops. I see this show scratching and clawing its way up the leaderboard all the way up to finals night.

Edited by loopin' froot loops
  • Like 2

Watching this show tonight, I was instantly reminded of the 2000 show. I know that sounds weird, but look at the structure of the show, the music, the show itself, and I see a lot of 2000. Now, I know everyone is preaching doom and gloom for Santa Clara, and a barely Top 10 finish, but I really think this could be a Top 5 show. The potential is really there. I think the reason everyone is freaking out is because the midwest and the world isn't used to seeing SCV this early in the season. Fans out here on the West Coast see it everyone, the rough, slow starts of all of the corps. Texas is always a mid-season stop for corps, so you all get to see the more polished and refined versions of shows. Performing at the first show is always scary for the kids, especially in a corps as young, (in terms of rookies) as SCV this year. They have tons of rookies, and those kids will need time to adjust to this show.

Their show is INSANELY hard, and will take lots of time to get the endurance up and clean. I didn't hear all of the weakness in the hornline tonight, but maybe the theatre sounds better than live. And I'm not surprised they haven't unleashed the full volume yet, you need to get the show down endurance-wise before you can start upping the volume. That's very normal for corps.

• Like 2

After reading a whole weekend of doom and gloom for Santa Clara, I went to the theater with my fingers crossed. At this theater, in SoCal..... the audiences for the last couple of years have hollered the house down for BD. Tonight, not a single reaction. Crickets. I was shocked. I was further surprised when SCV received, (deservedly) applause several times throughout their show. Critics on DCP had me expecting the worst. I LOVED this show! Wow. It's a beast, all right. I can not wait to see it polished through the course of the summer. I was very impressed with many of the shows.... but SCV's has definite potential to give chase to them all! :thumbup:

• Like 3

I was blown away by SCV at the theater last night. It was helpful to familiarize myself with the source music. This show certainly has the meat to be top 5 but whether or not they will execute it remains to be seen. I love that they played "The Devil's Staircase" as an encore. Hopefully, people will give it a listen. What really impressed me was my emotional response. Cadets wowed me but SCV grabbed me. My one complaint might be that they will try to push the "escaping from hell" theme too much. Maybe if they just let the music speak for itself it would be more effective.

For me the tension of the music is what gave me an emotional charge. Seems like some corps go for the obvious when it comes to creating an emotionally moving moment (Elsa's?) but what I admire about SCV is that they are willing to create the emotion cerebrally first and then let it grab you in the gut. That's how it affects me, whether or not it is their intent, I don't presume to know.

• Like 5