Can SCV Break into the top 5?

It just irks me how much the corps members run around. I love SCV to death, but to put bluntly, it's not well-planned and distracting. (I was wondering why the corps didn't want them to play.... probably why the brass kind of sunk a bit. :lookaround: ) Hopefully the designers will find a way to write those scrambles so it kind of relates to running from hell a little more.

I kept thinking throughout the show last night that the percussion section enlisted a hostile take over of the corps and the ensemble was completely off balance. Then again, the percussion was great and the difficulty was set at a high bar...but the hornline, visual, and guard are nowhere near the same caliber. It may be a long summer...I just didn't see glimpses of greatness, but they will hopefully come through in the end. It will be interesting to see what happens when Madison, Blue Knights, Boston, and the Glassmen, et. al. are added to the mix. One of those corps could be headed out of the gate like a freight train and pick several of these top corps off...we shall see!

And we'll have a good old fashioned midwestern corps throw down between Blue Stars and Madison Wednesday night to get our first glimpse of that! Anyone care to predict that match up?

Edited by BozzlyB

Going to both the live show and theater I can honestly say the theater helped soften how messy SCV really is. 2 min into the show I saw at least 2 or 3 collisions that didn't show up in the theater. In addition there were so many out of step moments and body control issues that could be seen live but not in the movies. The big concern to SCV has got to be the sound of the brass, even in the encore they're squealy sounding and don't have that deep sound that we've become accustom to hearing. That's fine to say they're dirty but standing still I expected a better sound. Hope it gets better but being behind in tone production is a large event to overcome!

Wes P

• Like 1

That brass staff presently at SCV has a totally different approach that Regiment has. Regiment plays dirty loud FIRST TOUR and pulls it in by the middle of the season. Then they could match in power what Rennick's drum lines were playing and performing.

The brass staff now at SCV is the guys from the Cavaliers when people complained they werent loud enough.

Just sayin...

Donny

• Like 1

I kept thinking throughout the show last night that the percussion section enlisted a hostile take over of the corps and the ensemble was completely off balance. Then again, the percussion was great and the difficulty was set at a high bar...but the hornline, visual, and guard are nowhere near the same caliber.

Yes! Several people at the show I attended at at the theater said things to the effect of,

"HOLY COW! Drumline with brass accompaniment!"

Going to both the live show and theater I can honestly say the theater helped soften how messy SCV really is. 2 min into the show I saw at least 2 or 3 collisions that didn't show up in the theater. In addition there were so many out of step moments and body control issues that could be seen live but not in the movies. The big concern to SCV has got to be the sound of the brass, even in the encore they're squealy sounding and don't have that deep sound that we've become accustom to hearing. That's fine to say they're dirty but standing still I expected a better sound. Hope it gets better but being behind in tone production is a large event to overcome!

Completely agree. Thankfully you are more eloquent in your approach and people might listen to you. :-)

+1 kind sir!

That brass staff presently at SCV has a totally different approach that Regiment has. Regiment plays dirty loud FIRST TOUR and pulls it in by the middle of the season. Then they could match in power what Rennick's drum lines were playing and performing.

The brass staff now at SCV is the guys from the Cavaliers when people complained they werent loud enough.

They aren't playing softly. The great majority of them are not playing at all. It is called leaking and when i can see your mouth open or your fingers aren't even on the valves, I know you aren't playing.

This isn't about philosophy. These kids are young (anyone who saw the encore can see that!), they are getting a show that is way too big for them musically, and their visual design is poorly done---at many points they are running and it doesn't really give them any effect at all (and probably won't, because at many points it is counter-intuitive)

In old school terms... this hornline is full of leakers.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

Yes! Several people at the show I attended at at the theater said things to the effect of,

"HOLY COW! Drumline with brass accompaniment!"

Could you imagine what was going though Rennick's head at the first ensemble rehearsal, and then the next series of staff recaps?

• Like 1

Okay, I've said it once, and I'll say it again. Texas fans, give it a break. You guys get so lucky every year to not see drum corps till July, when corps at least have a chance to clean and polish their shows. You're not used to first weekend shows. Those of us in California are used to seeing this. Every year, SCV and BD come out weaker than they will be in Texas. Just let it rest. By the time they come back around in July, everything will be better. I'm sure the staff designed this show to be clean by August, not clean by June, and every member of the corps knows that. It's not going to be clean for a long time, they just need to work on finishing the show first, and getting the endurance up before they can get the volume up. Instead of going out and blowing their chops out during the opener, and having no energy by the closer, they're working on getting through the show before they can play loud. I think that by Atlanta, or Allentown, this corps will be moving walls. Just give it time.

• Like 2