Can SCV Break into the top 5?

Just agreeing with you here. It bothers me a little when people associate the word "minimalist" with music that is 'different'.

Minimalism is characterized by incredibly long phrases before changing, general monotone dynamics, phasing, repetitive nature, and incredibly long duration. For instance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjR4QYsa9nE

SCV's show would probably best be described as modern or even post-modern depending on how you look at it....

I don't think we've ever seen true minimalism in a drum corps show, which is a shame, because it would be incredibly cool!

According to Wikipedia, minimalist composers include Philip Glass and John Adams, both of whom have had several works played by drum corps. If exceeding duration is a defining criterion of the genre, then drum corps will probably never play "true" minimalist music, but when I was introduced to the term in a music appreciation class, the recording played as an example was of "Short Ride in a Fast Machine".

Santa Clara has done well as a corps the past 7 years, but PLEASE look at the Breakdown of the weakest link of the corps and fix it.

GE BRASS -

Doesnt that mean: Brass effectiveness??? Brass arranging?

Doesnt make sense to me to have such a wonderful drum line and color guard, and be that low in Brass every year.

This year, they will be lucky to come in top 8, and could win Best Percussion at the same time...

Sorry i am so nasty, but as a Vanguard Alumni, if GR didnt place in the top 3, he would replace the staff, until he did...

I am not happy with an average of 8th in GE Brass the past 7 years...

Edited by MrBudMc
  • Like 2

Until Santa Clara can get an brass arranger that puts General Effect into the music instead of as many notes as possible, i think it will be impossible for them to get back to the top 5.

Bring Back Gordon Henderson! Bring over Jim Prime! DO SOMETHING!...I think their average GE Brass score over the last 7 years has been 8th place...and they stay with the same guy over and over, and switch the execution people...

Doesnt make sense to me..

This year, they will be lucky to come in top 8, and could win Best Percussion at the same time...

Sorry i am so nasty, but as a Vanguard Alumni, it hurts me year in and year out, to see the lousy arrangements that they are paying for.

Um, they were 5th in 2009, 5th in 2007, and weren't they 3rd in 2004, all with Key Poulan at the arranging helm....?

Come on, stop trying to preach the doom and gloom. It's still weekend one, they have a show tonight, let's all wait until the season actually gets going before we put them below the top 8, okay?

• Like 1

Absolutely. Ever since I heard about their 2011 production and learned more about it, I knew this would be a great year for the Vanguard. But, before I walked into the movie theaters, all I heard from people here on DCP was bad things about the Vanguard's show. Geez, some people made it sound like it was a freakin' middle school field show. No. Absolutely not. I was blown away by the Vanguard's performance. I am so proud of them. They have one of the most (if not the most) difficult shows out of the eight. Even with such a difficult show, the Vanguard executed it well enough for right now in June. Was the show a bit dirty and does it have much cleaning to do? Yes. And I believe that the corps will clean the show to the best of their ability over the course of the season. Just give them some time. This show has so much potential; the Vanguard is for sure gunna do their famous "final push." We've got people saying that the Vanguard will have trouble staying in the Top 12. Come on guys. This is Santa Clara Vanguard we're talking about here. The only corps to have made it to Finals every year since DCI's inception. Now, I don't personally know anyone that's currently in the corps, but I'm sure they are a great and highly talented, as well as dedicated and determined, group of kids. The 2011 Vanguard and "The Devil's Staircase" is already great and it's going to be even more amazing by Finals. I have so much faith, hope, and pride in Santa Clara Vanguard this year, just like I have ever other year. Go Vanguard.

Just on a side note, Vanguard's performance of "Send in the Clowns." Lord, that beautiful performance made me so happy. I dunno how anybody could listen to that hornline and say that the brass doesn't have much talent this year. Yeah, in the theater it could've been a bit louder but I'm sure that live it was even more beautiful.

Okay, I'm done ranting now. Sorry about the essay, just had to let that all out :)

• Like 3

This show has so much potential; the Vanguard is for sure gunna do their famous "final push." We've got people saying that the Vanguard will have trouble staying in the Top 12.

No, you have about three people, myself included, saying they are worse than some corps we have seen that didn't make finals, at this point.

I'm not silly enough to think they won't make finals. Their drumline, DCI's "masterplan", and their sometimes given ability to fix the mush they put on the field in the beginning of the year---almost insures they will be a finalist corps.

Sometimes reading between the lines is, just that, reading between the lines. No one has said they will miss finals.

Um, they were 5th in 2009, 5th in 2007, and weren't they 3rd in 2004, all with Key Poulan at the arranging helm....?

Come on, stop trying to preach the doom and gloom. It's still weekend one, they have a show tonight, let's all wait until the season actually gets going before we put them below the top 8, okay?

Didn't he also write "Pathways"? *Snicker*

Let's be real here.... It would be pretty hard to #### up Scherezade. I mean that is a great piece of source music and if you stay pretty true to the original, its going to make you sound brilliant. Same as 09....you really can't go wrong with App Spring.

However, with the exception of 04 and after many many listens 03, I haven't enjoyed a SCV show since 2001. What is the common factor here?

Didn't he also write "Pathways"? *Snicker*

Thank you. Yes, he arranged Pathways. The only show that he fully wrote was Moto in 06. So another 5th place, and a 6th. I'm still thinking that's pretty good. Those were good shows.

• Like 2

Let's be real here.... It would be pretty hard to #### up Scherezade. I mean that is a great piece of source music and if you stay pretty true to the original, its going to make you sound brilliant. Same as 09....you really can't go wrong with App Spring.

However, with the exception of 04 and after many many listens 03, I haven't enjoyed a SCV show since 2001. What is the common factor here?

Um, you? Sorry to sound like that, but that's kind of on you. Many people have enjoyed them, I know that I have. The last three years, they've been performing their shows and brass books by taking the source music, and putting it straight onto the field. First Copland, then Bartok, now Barber, Ligeti, and Dorman. They've taken the source music, and gone straight over to the drum corps filed.

• Like 4

2010 SCV – 7th place GE Music 37.250 Top score: 39.650

2009 SCV - 5th place GE Music 38.200 Top score: 39.650

2008 SCV – 7th place GE Music 37.200 Top score: 39.450

2007 SCV – 4th place GE Music 37.800 Top score: 39.300

2006 SCV – 6th place GE Music 36.600 Top score: 38.600

2005 SCV – 11th place GE Music 34.700 Top score: 39.800

I WANT TO SEE THEM WIN AGAIN! GR Royer would NEVER ACCEPT THIS!!! (period) and neither would: GEORGE STEINBRENNER! GO YANKEES!!!

Edited by MrBudMc
  • Like 4