Can SCV Break into the top 5?

If that mattered, Cadets would have 25+ titles. Their shows kick their butts, and they sound great in the arc. They spend the whole season trying to get enough gas in the tank to make it to the end.

You missed the point....

With all the talk of "holes", and people worried that the talent from the hornline wasn't there to play the music, that standstill showed that the brass can play the horn book, but the drill is darned hard.

They can work with that. ...and you should know better too! tongue.gifph34r.gif

• Like 1

I think this question and discussion is funny. Out here in the west coast we have been used to seeing SCV behind in scoring and how complete the show is compared to BD, there have been some exceptions over the last few years, but typically one section or the other is pulling the corps down in scoring. Recently it has been the percussion section or guard. So this year is no exception with the Brass being the weak link. I think the only reason why this discussion is even taking place because of the TOC format of having them compete against the top tier corps right off the bat instead of just the Blue Devils and other WC Corps

With their strong percussion program starting with the Top Percussion score last night, this season may be similar to 1991. SCV ended up placing 4th. They started out the season scoring 63.4 and then 68.9. The staff and everyone knows what needs to improve. The colorguard was ranked 5th. Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but they have a winning section in the drumline and hopefully that energy can spread throughout the corps.

Source - corpsreps.com

June 15,1991 - Concord CA - 63.400

June 21, 1991 - Clovis CA - 68.900

I want to say that I'm a pretty unabashed SCV fan, and have always loved and respected them. I especially love their 1991 show, and when I saw it live I KNEW that I had to march drum corps someday, and I still think 1991 is the best example of modern marching percussion writing/arranging (and MAN was that a smoking section!!).

That all being said, when referencing the 1991 season begging-end score wise, keep in mind that it's REALLY hard to to compare due to the widely different show dynamic between Concord 91 & Fort Worth 2011. At Concord in 1991, SCV's ONLY World Class competition was the Blue Devils (who coincidentally or not beat SCV by less than 4 points, while BD 'only' beat SCV by less than 5 points in 2011). In 1991 judges essentially picked a number out of the air when SCV performed, since they were the first World Class corps of the night after the Div 2/3 corps. This year judges saw ALL of SCV's competition, and put them 7th both nights.

Of course, we can also say that SCV ended up BEATING Blue Devils in 1991 at Finals, so it is obviously not impossible for Vanguard to get their act together over the next two months.

:smile:

I especially love their 1991 show, and when I saw it live I KNEW that I had to march drum corps someday, and I still think 1991 is the best example of modern marching percussion writing/arranging (and MAN was that a smoking section!!).

Yes! 91 had Star and SCV and those two lines were smoking. A great year for percussion. Pretty much everyone except BD was stellar in percussion that year.

A top 5 show *USUALLY* will have familiar tunes, and high entertainment value.

You mean like the Blue Devils last year?

• Like 1

they definately can. it's a great show and if they get the drill down i think they will. great music.

You missed the point....

With all the talk of "holes", and people worried that the talent from the hornline wasn't there to play the music, that standstill showed that the brass can play the horn book, but the drill is darned hard.

They can work with that. ...and you should know better too! tongue.gifph34r.gif

Interesting. The standstill told me that they couldn't play the book. They sounded bad and got buried by the drums standing still. If that is the case, they have no shot on the move.

I don't see any scenario where SCV moves into the top 5. The show is ok, but the hornline is horrible and knowing how those guys on staff teach there, they won't be able to get them to play this book in time to be competitive for the top 5.

• Like 3

Yes! 91 had Star and SCV and those two lines were smoking. A great year for percussion. Pretty much everyone except BD was stellar in percussion that year.

No doubt! Add to what you mention above a great Cadets percussion section (w/the battery starting the show w/everyone playing tenors, and a closer that I think is way underrated), Crossmen's legendary drum line and Cavaliers' awesome drum section & solo with the bass drums in the pit. A very strong year for percussion!

Interesting. The standstill told me that they couldn't play the book. They sounded bad and got buried by the drums standing still. If that is the case, they have no shot on the move.

I don't see any scenario where SCV moves into the top 5. The show is ok, but the hornline is horrible and knowing how those guys on staff teach there, they won't be able to get them to play this book in time to be competitive for the top 5.

Thank you! Now I feel less like a lonely person yelling down the hallway to the other end of a hall full of homers!

I guess I can agree to disagree with my Cavalier brother... satisfied.gif

I want to add that I have heard Avner Dorman's Piano Sonata No.2 live (Dorman is the composer in residence at the Alabama Symphony Orchestra in my hometown), and I've always thought his music would translate seamlessly to the drum corps idiom.