Your Theater Experience

just a few observations from last night a the movies:

- thanks DCI for having me rush to the theatre to sit for almost an hour and listen to audio from 2010 corps;I could have done that at home for free! And then, when I thought we were finally going to see the show, I had to sit through previews

- sound was horrible

- the commentators really get annoying with their opinions

- Blue Devils: yikes; is this the best a corps of this caliber can come up with? yes, there were more melodies than last year, however, tacky melodies just don't hold my interest. They do run from park-n-blow section to park-n-blow section quite well. I can honestly say that I was totally bored by the time they finished their show

- Cavaliers: usually really like them; not so much this year. Very good corps; just something missing. Show seems sort of like a rework of last years; very random stuff in this show that just didn't grab me like usual

- Bluecoats: great drumline and brass; marching program seems like a step-up from last year. Interesting production; if they make the right moves, this could be a winner

- Crown: great brassline, as usual; improved percussion. Rock theme is a big miss; just doesn't work. Feels like a symphony orchestra trying to be a rock band. A tough concept for a drum corps to pull off. I was dissapointed, first time I haven't liked Crown for a while

- Cadets: really good corps with a great concept. Corps looks much better with the shakos; effect lost there. We all know they will work their collective tails off...could be a winner

- Phantom: good corps; improved marching. rather boring

- Santa Clara: drumline is really good! show has potential

- Bluestars: is the effect with the ramp really worth all the effort? good solid corps; all sections perform really well. show is somewhat un-interesting to me

• Like 2

BD and Regiment at Tanaga...

Your nerd-fu is strong, young padwan! :thumbup:

All reviews for 2011 should be in Tamarian :-)

Over in the DCA/Wildwood thread we would see:

Ponzo, his face black, his eyes red.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Yeah people like someone above said the "what the hell am i doing here?" quote is from Creep. Listen to the song and the show will make a bit more sense.

Can you explain it to me, then, because the show (as last year's did as well) makes zero sense to me.

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you to DCI recognizing the audio issues and making a statement about it. all corps were heard but we did sweat it out in the theater. The following views are my own and they could change as the season progresses. This is really the first time in a long time I ever see DCI corps this early.

Blue Devils- Always love their brass line and I do like their sound this year. I wasn't impressed with their visual package, I am hoping that there is more coming for the program visually.

Cavaliers - nice start to the season can't wait to see the visual pacakge completed. Good performance by all aspects of corps

Bluecoats - I think this program means business this year like electronics in program sometimes I felt they were over used. Can't wait to see it in August.

Crown - They had me smiling early in the program but then the second half seemed to let me down a bit. hopin to see more in the end by August.

Cadets - Jeff's drill this year is wonderful. Love the angel Vs demon uniform concept and is down well. This is no doubt a top three show to me.

Phantom- I love the brass book and guard for this show. I do feel that the visual program is a "safe" show and not as challenging as the other programs

SCV - I was disappointed with the visual performance. I am not a SCV fan but I do respect the challenges in their programming and choice of content over the years.

Blue Stars - I love the way this corps has moved the last few years and the sound of thier brass line, not sure about the ramps yet

• Like 1

By in large, a good experience. Way too much unnecessary stuff before actual performance. Remember, these are by in large drum corps fanatics that don't need to be convinced! And why an intermission? That makes no sense.

Very interesting results between the two nights. The judges cell phones must have not worked. lol

Can you explain it to me, then, because the show (as last year's did as well) makes zero sense to me.

Mike

Tbh the show designer would give it more justice then me. It is a complex show. Look the show concept up on YT it will explain a lot. Creep kind of ties everything together

Tbh the show designer would give it more justice then me. It is a complex show. Look the show concept up on YT it will explain a lot. Creep kind of ties everything together

Or ... perhaps you will just end up even MORE confused. Bluecoats last year worked quite well for me without ever "understanding" it.

Edited by corpsband

Or ... perhaps you will just end up even MORE confused. Bluecoats last year worked quite well for me without ever "understanding" it.

Haha thats a large possibility. I never understood last years show either and i loved it. I like the new style theyve established. Its very different....fresh.