Your Theater Experience

I appreciated the show reviews. They would work great in the threads for each show. But I think the OP was more interested in comments about the theaters themselves. That said...

I went all the way across town to go to Village Square, even though there were several locations closer. Why? This is the original, and for a while the only, theater to show the cinecasts. It generally has the best and largest crowd in Las Vegas. But I think the addition of theaters, and too many of them IMO, has diluted the crowd, and the experience along with it. I think they need to reduce the number of options. Real corps fans will drive a few extra miles.

All kinds of people showed up, from 60's marchers to local band kids. I had a great conversation with the lady a seat over from me who never marched, never had a kid march, but was just a fan originally from Madison. But there were only about 20-25 people total. Back in 2004, it was mostly full. And compared to past years, the audience was pretty unresponsive. Kinda sat on their hands. Yeah, I know the corps members can't hear it, but I've been to theater events where the audience really got into it, cheering and responding to moments, shouting "SUTA!", and "VANGUARD!". (OK, that last part was me and my lovely bride!) I've even seen some standing O's.

Maybe for the Big, Loud and Live show they could reduce the theaters to maybe two. Well, I guess that means a nice letter to Dan!

Garry in Vegas

I met a woman last night in the theater who marched in the 50's with the Audabon bon bons. She was loving the show.

Huntsville, Al

<Rant> Reading reviews of this shown on here is proof of why fans voting should never be factored into the final outcome. Jay Murphy once again showed some AMAZING visual/staging brilliance, the design is quite nice, the transitions are not forced. The variety of movement has lots of depth but the show is dirty. I believe the BD vis staff focuses so much on getting the transitional flow of the show worked out that they come out a little dirty but we don't get to see that unless you live out west. This is a top 3 quality visual package. It's just not traditional drill, I use the term "stagging" because there is such a winter-guard influence to it. Jay Murphy makes me want to utilize guard better in my designs.

Also for the love of all things cute and fuzzy... GE is NOT a moment of fast drill and loud music. A FFF impact is not "GE" music and geometric drill is not "GE" visual. GE is simply... " HOW and DOES it work together". </rant>

And no... I did not march with the Blue Devils.

Last thought... Bluecoats design staff. I'm not offended by the word "hell" at all BUT I believe the lyric "I don't belong here" would work MUCH better.

Okay, we sat in the same theater together and watched the same broadcast. For the record, I've been a visual designer AND horn arranger on and off since 1985.

We'll agree to disagree about BD's "top 3" visual package. We will agree that it's staged well and it is winterguard in its approach. Transitions are good and for the most part, BD ihas the best marchers/movers out there. However, the drill design doesn't do 2 things: 1)It doesn't generate effect. It's a backdrop for a winterguard show. Welcome to the world of Jay Murphy and Scott Chandler. 2) It's not on the same level as many of the other top tier corps. Sorry, my opinion.

As for your definition of GE - It's not that simple. We have taken this activity to the edge of obscurity because of our esoteric BS definition of Effect. Effect CAN be generated by those things you listed that it's not....if programmed correctly. There are things in a show that meet your criteria of "How and DOES it work together" that are not effect. We have to step away from the precipice of taking ourselves too seriously before there is no drum corps activity anymore.

I've worked with Michael Cesario and Scott Koter (Programming coordinator for Cavies) and the one thing that both agree in is that we have to bring more entertaining (to the masses) shows to the field. Does that mean we all break out into "We Will Rock You" and do a mosh pit. Dear Lord, I hope not! We're in a tough business.

Don't get me wrong, I think that effect is any thing that gets to an audience. They don't always have to clap for it and scream like babies. A smart programming job will have both the "clap here dummies" moments as well as those moments that the crowd lets out a collective sigh.

We will agree that Bluecoats can change their vocal and get as much effect, and they won't tick off some mommy and daddy who've brought their 7 year old to their first corps show. Now as far as the guard unis..........Who knows, the 7 year old might really dig it, which could really put mommy and daddy over the edge!

• Like 1

And how'd you get in for $14? It cost us $15 at Crosswoods (about 5 miles and 10 minutes away)?

(That guy probably looked at you and said "What a dork.")

tongue.gif

Ticket was $12.50 here, I gues I'm a bigger dork ?

Quick thoughts/ramblings about the show as seen from the theater:

1) Really enjoyed Crown, Cavies, and Cadets. Three terrific shows.

Crown's show lagged in the second half.. hopefully they can make some changes to perk things up a bit there. That horn line once again is amazing. And it's nice to see a corps really having fun and engaging the audience the way Crown does.

Cavies: Holy mackerel. High energy, cool show. Could very well end the season as the DCI champion.

Cadets: The "dueling uniforms" idea was used to great effect. Another wonderful visual package from Jeff Sacktig. And the trademark brass sound from a Gino Cipriani line... full and confident.

2) Mostly enjoyed Blue Stars, Blue Devils, Bluecoats and Phantom Regiment.

Blue Stars: Horn line was really bringing it. Unfortunately, so was the low-end synth. I still see no need for that in any corps... especially the corps fielding huge brass lines with 16 or so tubas. It will be interesting to see how much more the stage in the middle of the field is utilized as the season goes on.

Blue Devils: I agree with Jeff here... seems as if the corps is struggling a bit with how to put a totally accessible show on the field. Great brass as usual, but the show, at least early on, is missing some of that "Blue Devils sizzle."

Bluecoats: Great start with the Radiohead material. Back half not as memorable.

Phantom: An uncluttered presentation...elegant color guard uniforms...and mostly well-performed. "Elsa's" will be a great finale once the volume and performance levels are cranked up a notch or two...but I still don't get how a Wagner tune fits the overall theme.

3) Didn't get the Vanguard. At all. No one sitting near me got them, either. One person said maybe SCV should have used the Bluecoats' audio..."What the hell am I doing here???" LOL.

I appreciated the show reviews. They would work great in the threads for each show. But I think the OP was more interested in comments about the theaters themselves. That said...

All kinds of people showed up, from 60's marchers to local band kids. I had a great conversation with the lady a seat over from me who never marched, never had a kid march, but was just a fan originally from Madison.

Garry in Vegas

Well said, Garry.

Last night, we sat behind an '89 Vanguard vet and a cat who'd marched 27th back in the early 80's.

Despite my problems with the theater, it's those conversations with people I can relate to that I really dig the most with the cinecast thing. I know, I have the same conversations with people at the stadium, but it is really nice to meet people, FROM YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD, at a movie theater.

I agree with you though...too bad there weren't but 20-25 people total in the seats.

I met a woman last night in the theater who marched in the 50's with the Audabon bon bons. She was loving the show.

That All Girls Drum Corps used to beat lots and lots of Corps made up of all male brass and percussion lines. ' Did it for many years too. They were good. From New Jersey.

If you ever saw a pic of the Corps, you'd swear the Corps had to have been from Texas, or somwhere out West. They were Cowgirls in their uniforms, stetson hats, western boots, and all.

Calamity Jane Cowgirls that lived next door to Snooki on the Jersey Shore. Go figure. (.. haha)

Edited by BRASSO

We will agree that Bluecoats can change their vocal and get as much effect, and they won't tick off some mommy and daddy who've brought their 7 year old to their first corps show.

Surprised they didn't sample the Kolacny and Scala

. Would have been far more effective (IMO). So haunting.

I was at Desert Ridge in Phoenix. Theater was probably 85% full with a good mix of old timers (like me) and younger folks who looked like they aged out just a few years ago. I think most in attendance enjoyed what they saw but there was very little energy in the room with the best moments only garnering a smattering of applause. I believe had the volume been louder the audience would have been livelier. With that said I blame the high winds for the lack of volume and the need to turn the microphone gain way down.

Blue Devils

It almost seems like someone dared their design staff to win another championship using only elevator music. What a waste of the talent the members obviously posses. To be honest I was shocked at just how bad that show is. I have been a drum corps fan for 30 years and the Blue Devils have provided many of my favorite moments. This was not one of them. I'm sure they will be back with a winning concept next year.

Cavaliers

The visual design clearly carries the day for them. The music is executed well but is not memorable at all. They will be hard to beat come August.

Bluecoats

Love Creep, just wish they stuck with it for another 15 to 30 seconds with the full force of the horn line unleashed on the melody. Lose the "What the hell" line, it is not appropriate for kids and adds nothing to the show.

Crown

At first I was worried the concept would be lame. Seeing the guard and pit costuming as they came out on the field only reinforced my initial concerns. Once the pre-show started I bought in and just went where they where taking me. I look forward to seeing it progress through the season.

Cadets

Cool concept that will only get better. I expect it will come down to Cadets and Cavaliers duking it out at the end. Can't wait to hear it again in better conditions.

Phantom

Always my favorite. Not because they are always the best but because they epitomize class and elegance. The music is allowed to speak for itself and an explanation of show concept is not needed ahead of time. If I were introducing drum corps to someone who had never seen one before this is what I would show them.

Vanguard

I don't get it at all. What the heck were they thinking? I'm not talking about the show I am talking about all the people that hate this show. Yes it needs a ton of cleaning but never once during their performance did it lose my attention. The drill is relentless and while the music is not something I was familiar with I actually enjoyed it. I think their ballad will stand out by the end of the year. If just looks and feels like Vanguard.

Blue Stars

Please turn down the synthesized bass. The camera shot of the pit member with the little keyboard emitting a sound I imagined to be an amplified dung beetle made my wife laugh out loud. Most of the show, including the scaffolding is clever and I actually like the majority of what I was hearing/seeing. There are just times where the artificial sounds do not match up with the image of a drum corps on a field.

Overall I think 2011 shows great promise. I find myself wanting to see Crown, Cadets, Phantom and Vanguard again. In the end I think the battle will be between Cavaliers and Cadets but Crown and Bluecoats also have shows that could win.

• Like 1

Fort Wayne at the Coldwater Crossing

Blue Devils- just looks almost like the one last year. Somewhat disappointed at potential decent show. Visual softens up the critics a bit more this year (Moreortheless, more creativity with sets).

Cavaliers- I've heard that they'll be throwing rifles from stilts when championships arrive. "nuff said.

Bluecoats- Opener was great!! Very very memorable! It started to drag a bit for me during the 2nd half. Meaning, a bit lackluster.

Carolina Crown- I was pretty impressed with the visuals. Props somewhat useless, but the corps do it all their own pretty well.

Cadets- Do I really have anything to say? (look at the past 11 pages...)

Phantom Regiment- Opener was gorgeous, but just became lackluster for the rest of the performance (please change something about the show.... it's missing the "it" factor!)

Santa Clara Vanguard- Very disappointed. You have wonder about those people running around. Do the coordinators not want them to play or what? Music and visual just don't match up very well. (I was actually looking forward to the show a lot. 2010 was a lot better.)

Blue Stars- It's Matrix/Bourne! Be flashy!!! (Ramps need to move a little to allow space for corps. Looks pretty cramped)