Your Theater Experience

I mostly enjoyed the theater. Totally agree with the person who said the sound could have been more - MUCH more...except, however, for the Blue Stars synth...ouch...that WAS...AWFUL. It was, without a doubt, the worst synth writing, 'tone' choices, and volume choices I've ever experienced. It sounded like someone had a very large balloon filled with air...then slowly let it squeal out...on pitch. A truly ugly sound.

But...enough of what I hated...I enjoyed the efforts of all the members. It was obvious that conditions were very tough and they all turned in great performances.

BD: I love the book. It's great to hear melody and more traditional harmony. I'm not so sold on the drill, especially as Cavies and Cadets are really booking a** around the field.

Cavies - great show - lots of GE potential. Outstanding drill...the contrast with BD was enormous...and not in Devil's favor...

Bluecoats - I liked this one very much as well - tubas...oh my...tubas! I heard from someone that they thought the 2nd number didn't fit. I disagree - I found it very engaging.

Crown - LOVED the first half - best moments of the night for me - 2nd half...not so much.

Cadets - best overall show (imo...) - the two uniform thing totally works for me. And MY GOD, they move...and well, too -

Phantom - not a phan...some nice moments - but I've never been a fan of solo guard kissing solo 'guard' horn persons...too...oh, definitive I guess is the right word. I prefer things be more suggestive...would have preferred more flags to illustrate Juliet finally having some quality time with Romeo...

SCV - musically, I can totally appreciate what they're doing. As a drum corps show - didn't like it - at all.

Blue Stars - my previous comments about the synth choices by the design team really are the only things I have to say about BS - the members are obviously well trained, and though I found the score too dense and the story unworthy...the contributions of huge numbers of kids got buried tonight by...well, just...crap.

• Like 1

About 50 people at my theater in central Ohio, about 5 times as many as has shown up at that same theater for past events.

No reaction from the crowd, a few claps and not much else.

As many kids in the seats as dinos.

Sound was WAY too low again this year, and I'm tired of asking theater staff to turn it up. DCI should make this known to Fathom when they take the money. That said, had the corps been up to the volume we're all used to, the Rhondo, DeLucia interviews would have blasted us out.

I reserving my daggers for thunderous goo until I see them live, but if the theater sound was any indication, the majority of pits are still wayyyyyyyy too loud. It's especially warm when the camera closes in on the keyboard player's finger planted and holding a low, thunderous note for 16 measures. I thought the guys in the stands were going to direct balance so bad?

And SCV's volume was so low that their pit drowned them out when the mallets were playing at mf. Understated class, sure I get it, but I gotta hear you play some emotion, SCV!

Gotta add here: Cadets are freaking awesome! They're marching now, admittedly with visual dirt, a drill set that I haven't seen develop in past years until late July, when Hoppy's desperate and the kids and in their prime shape. And the uniforms are perfect. Over and over again the sides split and the visual greatly enhances both the movement and the music. George: we disagree on several things, but this show has teeth. Stay with it and clean instead of madly changing parts, and this show could go all the way.

All in MHO, of course.

Edited by garfield

Attended in Columbus, OH at NE theater (Gahanna - one of 4 theaters where it was shown in the Columbus area). Only about 30 -40 in attendance. I was impressed with the quality of the broadcast given it was done so early in the season. I was also impressed by the corps' level of preparedness and performance. Wasn't sold at all on the concept of showing the second show of the season at theaters when it was first announced, but I think it worked! Worth the 14 bucks! Hope DCI keeps the concept (as well as adding back a winter/spring broadcast of past shows). Looking forward to seeing the other corps live and on the Fan Network!

Note to Garfield: Said "hi" to you when I came into the theater only to find that it wasn't you - just a guy who could be your brother!

I was at the Regal in Warrington, PA. The sound started out absolutely terrible. I could barely even hear Blue Devils. It seemed to improve with each corps and was very loud at the end for Blue Stars (or was that their amps...?). The theatre was about half full. The crowd did not clap very much. The Cadets seemed to get the biggest applause, followed by Cavaliers.

Cadets zombies are odd. Zombie side? Angel is interesting. No hats. Fast pace. I like the music. From high the red blurs out. Lots of potential.

First time I get to see Phantoms show up high. The lines need WORK but footwork better than last year. The pit was way to loud. No doubt needs work. Love the theme and music. Lots of improvement needed should score well.

Great! The Rockford TOC show was advertised soundless. Technical problems.

Santa Clara looks good. Love green drums. No color with guard. All black. Dark show music wise IMO. Great drumming and pit. Odd runninng around by singular members place to place. I need to see this again!

Blue Stars scaffolding is interesting. Kind of overwhelming. Drumlins all on platform scares me. Guard outfit is sad. Not good visually. Too much synth. BUT great horn work and drums. This show needs more contrast. Will the scaffolding hold up for dozens of shows?

Attended in Columbus, OH at NE theater (Gahanna - one of 4 theaters where it was shown in the Columbus area). Only about 30 -40 in attendance. I was impressed with the quality of the broadcast given it was done so early in the season. I was also impressed by the corps' level of preparedness and performance. Wasn't sold at all on the concept of showing the second show of the season at theaters when it was first announced, but I think it worked! Worth the 14 bucks! Hope DCI keeps the concept (as well as adding back a winter/spring broadcast of past shows). Looking forward to seeing the other corps live and on the Fan Network!

Note to Garfield: Said "hi" to you when I came into the theater only to find that it wasn't you - just a guy who could be your brother!

And how'd you get in for $14? It cost us $15 at Crosswoods (about 5 miles and 10 minutes away)?

(That guy probably looked at you and said "What a dork.")

tongue.gif

Penn Cinema - Lancaster, PA

Probably 80-100 ppl.

Sound levels were very low for field mics (and the left/right channels were reversed which made for some really odd viewing at times).

The pit and mc levels were great so I'm thinking the problem was NOT in the theater but in the broadcast.

2 mins of silence during start of 2nd half. Didn't miss any show.

This is just great. I just got off work so I'm missing out. :sad:

You're were in The Cadets.

I couldn't say this last year, but I can say it this year. In my opinion, after seeing The Cadets 2011 edition tonite in the theatre, The Cadets have the goods this year to win it all. Not saying they will. But they seem to have the whole 9 nine yards thats needed in my opinion re. performance talent, show design integration, creativity, demand. But who knows. We'll see. Long way to go.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2