First 2 show results thread

My .02 based on the theater broadcast:

1) BD: I liked them better than years past, but I cannot tell you how happy I was that they didn't get first, and they won't be getting first amongst the big dogs anytime this year. It's good for them!

2) Cavaliers: As soon as I saw the show, I knew they would win that day. To me, even with the show uncompleted, I thought they were extremely clean for June. Watch out, folks! This may be another 99.+ show!!!

3) Bluecoats: Their show has one of the best opportunities for development. I really dug the first few minutes, and then it fell off a bit for me. I realize it was windy (I'm a guard person, too!), but I was not impressed by the guard.

4) Carolina Crown: A bit cheesy at the beginning? Maybe, but it goes with the theme of the show. At the same time, I thought they may have "sold" the show TOO much throughout. This may all be due to the fact that it is a different production than Crown's recent years past. This will be really good come August!

5) Cadets: This was the only show that had me humming/singing afterwards. I've been down on the Cadets lately probably more than any person, but I LOVE THIS SHOW!!! Please be in the top 3 Cadets come August!

6) PR: It's growing on me. Initially, I was upset with the all-female guard. I felt it's a step in the wrong direction, but it actually works. They looking absolutely beautiful AND they are dancing/spinning their a**ss off!

7) SCV: And the show with the most potential of being exciting but failed to live up to it goes to...

8) Blue Stars: I've always been a huge BS fan, especially with their Houdini show last year (which I looooooooovvveed), and this show is headed there. I still HATE the unis and I want the white back, visual problems or not. Their brass and perc is GOOD! Guard=not so much.

My placements based on opinion and pleasure combined:

1)Cavaliers

2)Cadets

3)Crown

4)BD

5)Bluecoats

6)Phantom

7)Blue Stars

8)SCV

5)

• Like 1

Yes, these things are possible. It seems to defy logic, but when examined it makes sense.

First show = 1st read for judges, incomplete shows, varying levels of performance from the corps.

Second show = 2nd read for the judges, and in some cases judging in different areas, again varying levels of performance, the order of the corps was reversed, and on and on.

sounds reasonable.

first read is just not reliable and then they "straighten things out" on the 2nd read.

heard this explanation a million times.

except....

doh.gifit was a 1st read both nights and 2 separate panels blink.gif

kinda throws that explanation out the window.

i don't have an explanation. it's just very curious.

i suppose you could say people have wildly varying opinions but then why the heck is there a "criteria reference" system? just toss the sheets and make up number! and i'm not just talking about crown here -- lots of crazy changes in captions night to night.

you could say that "well the performances were wildly different night to night" but we certainly did not hear any reports of that here or elsewhere.

as i said -- it sure is curious.

Edited by corpsband

Blue Stars. Loud. :-) Will be interesting to see how the use of the scaffolding evolves over the summer. Dennis D had an interesting observation on the broadcast, arguing that the scaffolding essentially prevented the horns and drums from moving backfield thus limiting the dynamic range of the music.

Funny, I always thought the dynamic range was controlled by the volume the players were playing. Closer might make them work harder (what a novel idea!), but it can't actually "limit" them. Did think BS's amp's were a little hot tonight too.

Loved - Crown, Cavies, PR, BS, SCV perc.

Liked/OK with - Coats and Cadets

Didn't like - BD and SCV horns

We'll see what my team can do toinght in Martin TN - Go Teal! NEM!

We'll see what my team can do toinght in Martin TN - Go Teal! NEM!

YEP!

Funny, I always thought the dynamic range was controlled by the volume the players were playing. Closer might make them work harder (what a novel idea!), but it can't actually "limit" them. Did think BS's amp's were a little hot tonight too.

Didn't like - BD and SCV horns

Fully agree here , unfortunately for me the respective arrangers seem to be ignoring the low brass altogether.

These two lines sounded tinny to me , at first I thought it was the sound of the field mikes / theater output but then other corps sounded just fine.

Most puzzling thing for me is with the designing talent in these 8 corps , the show themes seemed contrived and over the top too serious and not comprehendible. The flow of shows ( IMHO ) is just not there anymore ( even with my favorites ) with the exception of The Cavaliers who ( IMHO ) seem to understand the concepts of flow and timing.

The level ot talent in today's players is just imcomprehendable too me , Show Designers please utilize it better.

and finally - what's with the love affair with goth and the darkside in the guard world - i found it reprehensible with the Blue Stars ending with the bizarre rifle dude on the scaffold pointing it at the geek music player with his hands up in the air ( i see enough of killing and mass murder every night on the news )

Edited by fecontra

After what I saw last night, the top 5 is going to be the biggest catfight in DCI history. I didn't really see a clear winner since all the corps have developed differently (and are continuing to do the same).

Blue Devils - They can march. And the hornline can play. Dang! GE music....eh....but I'd give them some time to tweak it out.

Cavaliers - They looked very good for this time of the month, better than last year. Just a couple music ensemble issues, but nothing major. Brass sounded very good, though. Can't count them out of the top 2, but things could change.

Bluecoats - Visually, I was not impressed. However, the percussion wants to win the Fred Sanford. Don't quite agree the 7th place placement from the 2nd night, but that's just me.

Crown - I am hoping they make the preshow/beginning of the show a little more developed because something didn't feel right for me. After that, let me just say the design is top of the line at this point, visually and musically. Watch out everyone....

Cadets - So I knew they would be dirty, mainly because of endurance issues. I was surprised I didn't get much brass from them, but the show concept ties together nicely. They won't have a problem with GE once they get clean.

Phantom Regiment - The brass needs some serious help. They sound like early June. Percussion has gone through a change now that you cannot hear Paul Rennick. And yes, the all-female guard is the best choice for them and the show.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Percussion spells Paul Rennick big time. They were truly on fire, probably the best part of the corps (like Bluecoats). This, I believe, is a good signature SCV show, similar to the corps from the late 90s. That's what it reminded me of. But they have to execute.

Blue Stars - I was not surprised to hear Blue Stars finish 8th overall, because of composition. The past 3 years they have been consistently in the top 8, and last year they looked and sounded pretty decent. But the reason this corps has not moved anywhere is the design. However, that's my opinion. But man, that brass was LOUD!!! Dirty, heck yes, but they are putting sound out.

I have never imagined I'd see groups looking and sounding this good in June. I almost thought it was mid-July (even with Cavies' incomplete show). There's no corps clearly in 1st place, and anything can TRULY happen. But we didn't even see the rest of the 15 or so corps....

• Like 2

Saginaw Results

1. Crown 74.650

2. Cavies 74.300

3. BD 74.050

4. Cadets 71.050

5. PR 69.950

6. Coats 68.900

7. SCV 68.450

8. Stars 64.750

If Blue Stars opened with this score....what kind of scores would 9-?? have gotten that night?

9th - 67.750

10th - 65.900

11th - 64.750

12th - 64.200

Do ya see what I did there? :ph34r:

Seeing the shows in the theaters was a bit of a letdown for me, almost. The wind killed everything, which is really a bit sad. But between the mikes picking up the wind and the guards being told not to toss (Bluecoats were absolutely KILLING me with that!), it was just hard to watch. Suddenly I was very grateful for the fact that the show I'm going to is in a dome.

That said:

Blue Devils seemed really scattered. And HIDEOUS. I'm sorry, but those new uniforms aren't doing it for me. And the colors of the hornline/drumline and guard didn't contrast enough (on the video screen, anyway) for some of the visual effects they're trying to pull off.

Cavaliers made me really happy. I initially thought the 'XY' concept was going to be cheesy, but man did I feel bad for thinking that. That is visually one hell of a show, and it's not even done yet! Unfortunately one of the things I most enjoyed (a more balanced, less trumpet heavy sound) will probably go away as the season progresses and the members gain some extra endurance/chops etc.

Bluecoats' guard, unfortunately, distracted me from the corps, and I really can't remember much other than that I did enjoy it. Their guard, however, should be pretty good once they're allowed to toss. I just couldn't deal with them hitting what was obviously prep for a toss and then standing there and switching their hands. And I get why they were doing it, but nobody likes to be teased, you know?

Crown was fun, but that's about all I got out of it. Also, as a Phantom girl, their Var. XVIII disappointed me a bit. Maybe they'll tweak that and make me happier with it later on in the season.

The Cadets were almost depressing to me. I really, really enjoyed their show last night. They've got a great book visually, and I liked the multi color/dual uniform effect. But I worry that when I see them live, they'll have buried the show under a voiceover track.

Phantom's brass has potential, but they weren't up to standards set last night. They'll get there, I'm sure, and man does that show have potential. They have that whole "pretty" thing going in a year where everyone else is in your face in some way or another. Sometimes, you just need to sit back and absorb a pretty, enjoyable show with good music and a clean, elegant guard.

SCV's concept confused me a bit. And the dissonance in the music, I think, needs more confidence behind it. When you've got dissonance like that all you can do is lean into it and embrace it, and once they start doing that fully, that hornline should be mindblowing.

Blue Stars is, quite frankly, a corps I've always found a tad forgettable, and last night was really no difference. It's quality, and they'll be a competitor later in the season for a finals spot...but I don't necessarily see them in the same class as these other 7 corps.

All my .02, as someone who's got no qualifications to speak of.

Edited by Purplepower42