Is it Me?

The shows are amazing achievements, but I find the musical arrangements less compelling than they used to be. So I find myself going to fewer shows. It's the music that drew me to corps in the first place.

I think it has much to do with the fact that true, fully-sustained ensemble brass playing doesn't take place nearly as often today. We seem to have more fragmented brass statements.

If a corps would have had 75-80 horns back in the 1970s or 1980s it would have been INCREDIBLE! Today the corps DO have 75-80 horns,

but how often do we get to hear the full ensemble? These kids today are very talented. Let them play!

Edited by Northern Thunder

I don't care what key the horns play and I don't mind the dancing. Actually after seeing some of the "dance" in the 70's and 80's, what they do today is so much better.

I guess I miss being a part of it, evolving with it and enjoying the fact that I am there. When I taught Rochester Patriots and later, Crusaders, I LOVED going to rehearsals and weekends. Now, I love being with my wife. I walked away from it a few years ago when I became numb. Left in the middle of the season after paying my own air fare all winter (Buffalo to FL) to teach. I loved the teaching but hated the attitudes of some members and the cliquiness. I respected all the staff members too but knew I didn't feel as welcome as I should have. I drove home after a long weekend and said, "I am done!" It was the hardest thing to do. I still want to get back in it. My favorite time was working brass with the Crusaders...THAT is what I want to do!

I don't care what key the horns play and I don't mind the dancing. Actually after seeing some of the "dance" in the 70's and 80's, what they do today is so much better.

I guess I miss being a part of it, evolving with it and enjoying the fact that I am there. When I taught Rochester Patriots and later, Crusaders, I LOVED going to rehearsals and weekends. Now, I love being with my wife. I walked away from it a few years ago when I became numb. Left in the middle of the season after paying my own air fare all winter (Buffalo to FL) to teach. I loved the teaching but hated the attitudes of some members and the cliquiness. I respected all the staff members too but knew I didn't feel as welcome as I should have. I drove home after a long weekend and said, "I am done!" It was the hardest thing to do. I still want to get back in it. My favorite time was working brass with the Crusaders...THAT is what I want to do!

Soooooo .... if you can do it, do it!

BTW (and I don't know why I notice these things) but that was your 6,666th post. Maybe we should start a "Are you a DCP Fossil?" Topic. :rolleyes:

Puppet

A couple of months ago I was not sure I would be getting to any shows this summer, so I'm just glad I'm getting that chance.

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel that way. In fact it almost looked like I wouldn't make it down to California for DCI West and I wasn't even upset that I would miss seeing my beloved SCV live along with all the rest. After 40 years of DC, I figured that I'd finally burned out. But, now that I'm definitely going, I'm beginning to get excited about it. And I know for a fact that when I hear the drums and horns warming up and I see the guard doing their thing, my heart rate will rise and I'll be into it once again. So hang in there Kiddo, it will all come back to you...

Enjoy the shows Maggie. As for the post...I'm bored having watched the opening weekend on the fan network. Enough said.

I've lots of DVDs to view the past and reminisce, including years that I had missed but felt a need to sit in the stands. So we went to Indy 2010, had a great time and yes, we agreed that drum corps had changed; we're having a reunion this summer, looking for instruments for a casual toot and paradiddle and plan to see a drum corps show in 2012. After watching Fan Network VODs from 06/18/11, 06/21/11, 06/24/11 and 'Live' on 06/25/11, gotta say 'Good Vibrations'; as in VIBES.

V as in vibrant, variety, versatile

I as in intrigue, incredible, inviting

B as in beautiful, big, bold and brassy

E as in entertaining, energized, endearing

S in that the corps made me smile and say 'wow!'

To the 2011 performers and staff, 'Kudos! Keep up the good work, safe travels and have fun' :smile:

I've lots of DVDs to view the past and reminisce, including years that I had missed but felt a need to sit in the stands. So we went to Indy 2010, had a great time and yes, we agreed that drum corps had changed; we're having a reunion this summer, looking for instruments for a casual toot and paradiddle and plan to see a drum corps show in 2012. After watching Fan Network VODs from 06/18/11, 06/21/11, 06/24/11 and 'Live' on 06/25/11, gotta say 'Good Vibrations'; as in VIBES.

V as in vibrant, variety, versatile

I as in intrigue, incredible, inviting

B as in beautiful, big, bold and brassy

E as in entertaining, energized, endearing

S in that the corps made me smile and say 'wow!'

To the 2011 performers and staff, 'Kudos! Keep up the good work, safe travels and have fun' :smile:

Youre totally right

As for drum Corps changing. Personally I dont see as much change in Drum Corps as others do , I see more a change in the member and who the drum corps community serves now. TOTALLY DIFFERENT!!!!!

But as far as some changes in a very long history of the activity, WHY WOULDN'T IT CHANGE I ASK. Hasn't the world changed in almost every way? Why would drum corps be an exception. Ive heard some posters say " well it's the legacy fans who spend the money to come to shows not the kids , well that may be true but as legacy fans move on or hate to say die off ,if attention isn't paid to what the younger ones of today like or want to see and all we do is constantly revert back in all areas including some outdated shows which I might add will be successful for a while right now with many of the paying fans but soon wont due to the fact it may not be entertaing or the cup of tea current members want. Just a thought , but a necessary concern I believe and one that needs balance until the tides turn completley as they will like in everything.

Sometimes I feel that way. In fact it almost looked like I wouldn't make it down to California for DCI West and I wasn't even upset that I would miss seeing my beloved SCV live along with all the rest. After 40 years of DC, I figured that I'd finally burned out. But, now that I'm definitely going, I'm beginning to get excited about it. And I know for a fact that when I hear the drums and horns warming up and I see the guard doing their thing, my heart rate will rise and I'll be into it once again. So hang in there Kiddo, it will all come back to you...

How was DCI West? I too was so excited last year, first time seeing a live show in 27 years. Once we got there, totally fun. While the others went shopping and sightseeing, Brenda and I hung out at the park while the corps were warming up. Totally awesome. Gotta luv warmups :bigsmile:

Sadly, drum corps will never again be as good as it was in the 80s/early 90s.

All corps is today is glorified marching band.

Band uniforms

Band instruments

Unrecognizable music...

If Hopkins has his way woodwinds will be on the field in the next few years.

I consider myself extremely lucky I got to march corps from 86-90 and teach for several years after aging out.

After the 96 season I had finally had enough.

The Bb horns and electronics have finally driven me away for good.

I go to Regiment's home show every few years to see old friends but that's about it.

It amazes me how the current 80+ member horn lines can't produce anywhere near the volume or sound of much smaller horn lines back in the day.

I look back at the 87,89, and 90 seasons and EVERY show was fun, exciting, and you could hum the music afterwards.

Instead of lamenting what corps has become I prefer to pop in the old videos and enjoy.

I would much rather sit at home for the evening and watch finals from 89 than go to a live show in 2011.

Such is life.

I just watched the shows at Stanford and Stockton, and here are my observations:

The goods: Blue Devils, Phantom, and Blue Knights all had wonderful arrangements with complete and memorable tunes. I hope this means the pendulum will shift back to an emphasis on music. I left humming "House is not a Home".

The bads: low-end synth (thunderous goo) and keyboard brass reinforcement worse than ever, especially in Stockton. At times I couldn't tell how much of the sound was coming from the hornline and how much was coming from the keyboards. There was even electronic reinforcement of battery lines. And nearly all of the corps utilize cheezy synthesized vocal sounds - lots of wispy electrified "aaaaahhhh" sounds coming from the speakers, like 80s Pat Metheny even during classical numbers.

It was fun, but after two viewings the electronics were getting to me, so that's enough DCI for me this year. I guess I'm officially a fossil. :confused: