DCA AND DCI JOIN FORCES!

DCA and DCI Join Forces In Historic Cooperative Marketing Agreement

Drum Corps International and Drum Corps Associates Join Forces

In Historic Cooperative Marketing Agreement Intended to

Engage More People in the Drum Corps Experience

Drum Corps International, the world leader in producing and promoting competitive marching music events for student musicians and performers, and counterpart Drum Corps Associates, the sanctioning body for the finest all-age drum and bugle corps in the United States, Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands are pleased to announce an unprecedented, formal strategic partnership between the two organizations, intended to create new opportunities for thousands of performers and hundreds of thousands of drum corps fans throughout North America and around the world.

The time could not be better for DCI and DCA to come together to share marketing resources and work together to promote the future of the entire spectrum of the drum corps activity, said Dan Acheson, Executive Director and CEO of the Indianapolis, Ind.-based Drum Corps International. Although the scope of our respective missions may differ slightly, the similarities between our organizations far outweigh the differences. This gives us a tremendous common ground from which to forge a dynamic and comprehensive forward-looking plan, providing current, former and future performers and fans alike with exciting new opportunities to discover, engage and perhaps reengage with drum corps, regardless of their age. Together we will create an alliance with far-reaching benefits for those who appreciate and enjoy the incredible activity we share.

Drum Corps Associates and its board of directors are very pleased to be entering into a wide-ranging marketing partnership with Drum Corps International, said Gil Silva, President of DCA. Were looking forward to a two-way exchange of information and practices as we come together to offer the drum corps community at large increased levels of service, developing new opportunities intended to increase exposure and grow consumer demand for the unique form of entertainment weve all come to know as competitive drum and bugle corps. We are very enthusiastic about the possibilities offered through such a dynamic partnership and are looking forward to rolling up our sleeves and getting down to work.

One of the first of several initiatives taking place within the framework of the new joint effort will be the marketing, management and sale of DCA World Championship Tickets for the 2012 and 2013 seasons through the Drum Corps International Ticketing Service. DCI is no stranger to the future home of the DCA World Championships in the beautiful Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md. We are confident that their expertise, online and offline customer support and investment in state-of-the-art ticketing technology will be an invaluable asset to our fans, Silva said. We plan to start selling tickets to the Annapolis 2012 World Championships events in real time at our 2011 Championships in Rochester, NY over Labor Day Weekend. We suspect that our corps

and their legions of loyal supporters will love the added features made possible through this arrangement.

Its no secret that performing arts groups throughout the country are wrestling with real-world issues such as cost containment and declining attendance at events, and the drum corps activity is certainly no different in that regard, Acheson said. It is our hope that through this unprecedented partnership, we can bring together the best brains in the business to create a new future for the drum corps activity which will help us to shine a spotlight on our unique art form, while continuing to celebrate the outstanding performances of our respective competing groups. Were looking forward to this partnership with great anticipation and with high hopes for its growth and ongoing evolution and development.

Fast Facts At a Glance:

About Drum Corps Associates (http://www.dcacorps.org)

Year Founded: 1964

Base of Operations: Barrington, RI

Number of Corps in 2011: 22, in 2 divisions (Open Class 11) & Class A 11)

Average Number of Participants: more than 4500

Average Age of Participants: 21 across both divisions

Number of Events in 2011: 21, plus World Championships Weekend

About Drum Corps International (http://www.dci.org)

Year Founded: 1972

Base of Operations: Indianapolis, Ind.

Number of Corps in 2011: 44, in 3 divisions (World Class 23)

Open Class 22

International Class2

Average Number of Participants: more than 5000

Average Age of Participants: 18.5 across World and Open Classes

19.2 World Class

17.8 Open Class

Number of Events in 2011: 110, plus World Championships Week

Edited by David Hobart
  • Like 1

This looks great. A serious win-win.

The most interesting thing I learned from this is the similarity in average age - I had no idea they were so close! Only 21 average for all DCA corps? I had no idea!

This looks great. A serious win-win.

The most interesting thing I learned from this is the similarity in average age - I had no idea they were so close! Only 21 average for all DCA corps? I had no idea!

Thought so too about double win and first thing I noticed (OK I looked for it) was the average age in DCA... But not a surprise from what we've seen at Prelims the last few years.

Fantastic!! Great news for everyone in drum corps!

Or contract with DCI to create the DCA Fan Network. I'm sure there are a lot of us that would pay for a separate subscription.