DCA AND DCI JOIN FORCES!

Well, I was thinking on the lower end, but hey, that works too :)

Besides, not all discrimination is age-based, nor is all discrimination a bad thing.

please explain,.............as most discrimination is a civil rights violation,...........really,.......

explain,.............

Seriously? Ok, sure. Here are a few examples:

Many (if not most) corps have a minimum age requirement

Many corps hold auditions

No corps marches woodwinds (or electronics, or other "illegal instruments")

Many corps require members to pay some kind of fee

There's four right off the top of my head. All are discriminatory policies. And no, not all discrimination is a 'civil rights violation'. At least, not in the legal sense.

Edited by Kamarag

There's four right off the top of my head. All are discriminatory policies. And no, not all discrimination is a 'civil rights violation'. At least, not in the legal sense.

and then those pesky all male corps

Yep, not to mention the Alumni corps that actually require you to be an alumnus.

and don't forget the BBQ and cooler corps. they require you to have a cooler

many corps that have a minimum age requirement have exceptions to the rule,..............check it out,.......the ones that don't could be challenged, and if they were, they would lose,.............

discrimination is when age, race, religion, sex and sexual orientation is used to deny access to a job or activity,..............dues, level of talent, etc. are not at all related,............

please try and understand the difference between discrimination and the examples you cited,...........

Edited by Gary Matczak

Well no matter how you look at it ,don't know if they could hold on to the 501 or what ever it is for tax free.And making money if its not open to all good horn players or drumers .It was meant to open a can of worms .Think about the nice law suits it could bring .jejejejejejejeje

many corps that have a minimum age requirement have exceptions to the rule,..............check it out,.......the ones that don't could be challenged, and if they were, they would lose,.............

discrimination is when age, race, religion, sex and sexual orientation is used to deny access to a job or activity,..............dues, level of talent, etc. are not at all related,............

please try and understand the difference between discrimination and the examples you cited,...........

In the words of Inego Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Discriminate: "to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality".

In all seriousness, anytime a distinction is made that favors one person over another, it's discrimination. Much like many other words in the English language, the word "discriminate" has taken on darker connotations, mostly due to confusion and misunderstanding, not to mention outright co-opting of the word.

While we've obviously had a little fun here, the point is that it really doesn't matter if Cadets2 or any other corps wants to put an age cap on their membership. There's nothing illegal about it, and it's clearly not in violation of any DCA rules. Corps have limited membership for stranger reasons over the years, that's for sure.

If I recall correctly DCA, as an association, does have a lower minumum age requirement of 12 years old; no upper age requirement. How a group (in any walk of life) with a upper age requirement (cut off) fits into a association with no upper age requirement, and mission statement as such; I don't know.......I leave to smarter folks that I.

This is not a merger, it is an agreement and a sharing. MLB, NHL, NBA, and NFL have agreements with each other for their mutual benefit and those agreements do not include playing against each other. Their agreements avoid potentially harmful schedule conflicts..... things like Monday night being a travel day for The World Series, so as not to conflict with Monday Night Football......

DCI and DCA can cooperate to share some advertising bucks and even to reinforce each others' advertising messages. Whether or not they ever share a contest site and date, as DCAM and DCIM do, can come later. The cost per circuit of a contest at The Meadowlands or other NFL stadium might become affordable under those circumstances.

I trust both circuits to work out the degree of sharing. If there is to be competition between the circuits, it would be for who hosted the most entertaining and exciting contest of the day.

When people WANT to cooperate, or NEED to cooperate, they WILL cooperate.....look at Republican and Democratic lawmakers.

Joe Dz in NJ