DCA AND DCI JOIN FORCES!

In the words of Inego Montoya, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Discriminate: "to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality".

In all seriousness, anytime a distinction is made that favors one person over another, it's discrimination. Much like many other words in the English language, the word "discriminate" has taken on darker connotations, mostly due to confusion and misunderstanding, not to mention outright co-opting of the word.

While we've obviously had a little fun here, the point is that it really doesn't matter if Cadets2 or any other corps wants to put an age cap on their membership. There's nothing illegal about it, and it's clearly not in violation of any DCA rules. Corps have limited membership for stranger reasons over the years, that's for sure.

I don't know the guy,.........but in seriousness, or in fun,.........and no matter what has happened in the past,........trust me,..............you know not of what you speak,.........

and don't forget the BBQ and cooler corps. they require you to have a cooler

Don't go dragging me into this...

:blink:

many corps that have a minimum age requirement have exceptions to the rule,..............check it out,.......the ones that don't could be challenged, and if they were, they would lose,.............

discrimination is when age, race, religion, sex and sexual orientation is used to deny access to a job or activity,..............dues, level of talent, etc. are not at all related,............

please try and understand the difference between discrimination and the examples you cited,...........

i believe drum corps are private groups and pretty much can do whatever they like...for the most part..i believe even boy scouts are cosidered private and thats why they can get away with being a bigoted, discriminatory, self righteous and archaic against gays

Edited by GUARDLING

Yep, not to mention the Alumni corps that actually require you to be an alumnus.

Not many... if any... of them left anymore.

This is not a merger, it is an agreement and a sharing.

Exactly.

Glen Johnson laid it out clearly in his earlier post. Nothing more, nothing less than a marketing agreement.

A good thing for all sides involved in this. :thumbup:

I can't even think of one,..............

Ohter than the recent one-shot DCI reunion corps.

But you're right.... the year-round alumni groups, I don't think any of them are just alums from a given corps anymore.

• Like 1

and don't forget the BBQ and cooler corps. they require you to have a cooler

I hear ya.

Highly discriminatory against the old-school "drinking out of a paper bag" folks. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

I don't know the guy,.........but in seriousness, or in fun,.........and no matter what has happened in the past,........trust me,..............you know not of what you speak,.........

Actually, I know *exactly* what I speak of. If I didn't, I wouldn't have posted it.

Ohter than the recent one-shot DCI reunion corps.

But you're right.... the year-round alumni groups, I don't think any of them are just alums from a given corps anymore.

Only know of one that requires members to actually have been in any corps.... don't think the "Bell Bottom Brigade" :rolleyes: changed that recently.

Edited by JimF-LowBari