DCA AND DCI JOIN FORCES!

Im a bit confused by this. Can you explain?

At one point in time you had to have competed with the competitive corps 2 years before you would be allowed to participate in the Hawthorne Alumni corps. That is how it was told to me by a member years ago. I don't know when they switched their policy.

Im a bit confused by this. Can you explain?

Liz beat me to it....

No idea when it was changed but at 2005 DCA we stayed at the same hotel as Cabs Alumni. Spoke to some corps members and they were with either Guelph Royalaires or Scout House (forget which) when these guys competed.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

At one point in time you had to have competed with the competitive corps 2 years before you would be allowed to participate in the Hawthorne Alumni corps. That is how it was told to me by a member years ago. I don't know when they switched their policy.

it must be many many years ago because back in the late 90s there were people in the alumni corps that were never in cabs

Most "Alumni Corps", are Alumni "TYPE" Corps" More like Civil War Re-enactors.

Good point.

A friend of mine calls the alumni corps "re-enactment corps"... meaning they basically re-enact a given era of drum corps. Many are more old school, some are new school, to at least some degree... some are a combination of both.

it must be many many years ago because back in the late 90s there were people in the alumni corps that were never in cabs

When first chartered in the mid 90's there was a requirement that in order to march with the alumni, you had to have marched with the competing corps. I believe it was more than two years and I know you had to be over 25 years old.

This policy was changed around the 2004 era to open the corps up to prospective members without prior Hawthorne experience. In the late 90's the policy was still in place, although I'm sure there were exceptions to the rule.

Good point.

A friend of mine calls the alumni corps "re-enactment corps"... meaning they basically re-enact a given era of drum corps. Many are more old school, some are new school, to at least some degree... some are a combination of both.

And some don't try to re-enact any era or known style. Of course if you never HAD a known style.. :tongue:

Seriously, the idea at Hanover is just to keep this thing rolling year after year whatever it takes. Few years back, the members were asked for ideas to help the corps. Not a few responses were to move away from the parade type tunes the corps had been doing. Thoughts were it would help recruiting and keep the current members from getting bored. Guess it's working as I'm starting to feel #### old in my section. :shutup:

Well, its THEIR show. They can do as they please. If we used a DCI corps in one of OUR shows (which we have done many times), DCI wouldn't tell us when to put them on. I don't see that as a respect issue at all.

Actually, its a DCI participant show, we (SOME) sign a contract with DCI, pay a performance fee to each unit, plus the cost of housing, stadium costs, security and overruns.

When the proposal was made to move the placement of Renegades before intermission, DCI's response was negetive and felt it was in control of the show, thus demonstrates a disrepectful position toward our preference in the lineup.

In other words, pushed their agenda with power politics and weakend the ability to provide OUR audience with a variety of Drum Corps.

The issue is this, does DCI WANT Seniors as part of their experience, or is this another maneuver to make more money at DCA's expense? I am a DCA fan, live on the west coast, want seniors out here, promote its contribution to the overall drum corps experience, whenever I get anyone's attention.

If this "new" agreement is to work, DCI must be willing to share, so far its been a one-way street and I believe DCA should move with caution.

• Like 1

When first chartered in the mid 90's there was a requirement that in order to march with the alumni, you had to have marched with the competing corps. I believe it was more than two years and I know you had to be over 25 years old.

This policy was changed around the 2004 era to open the corps up to prospective members without prior Hawthorne experience. In the late 90's the policy was still in place, although I'm sure there were exceptions to the rule.

oooo there was for sure some very good friends that marched jr. corps in the 70s were in and they never set foot in Hawthorne......but either way,,,,,certainly is different now :smile:

I 'd have to go looking for my copy of the charter to truly verify this. My recollection of the original conditions for membership (which could be wrong) is as follows: You had to have been a member of the competing corps (no specific number of years required). You had to be 25 or older. You had to have been out of the competing corps for a minimum of two years. (I believe this last condition was waived for members over a certain age, but I don't recall what it was -- perhaps 45 or 50?)

These conditions were negotiated and agreed upon with Jim Costello to protect the competing corps. Initially, he was against the formation an alumni corps until these conditions were adopted. When this changed, non-Caballeros alumni were welcome, provided they were 'sponsored' by a Cabs alumnus. They were considered 'associate members.'

I hear ya.

Highly discriminatory against the old-school "drinking out of a paper bag" folks. :tongue:

you have to keep that paper bag cool somehow :tongue: